Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dizelpunk character

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sauron polycounter lvl 10
well, at this moment i have problems with texturing)
1014064.jpg
1012149.jpg
1018229.jpg
C&C are wellcome)

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how about posting an image with the normalmap and texture applied to the lowpoly mesh? It would help a lot. Also, if you could tell us what you're going for. Realistic, stylised, etc..
    is it meant to look so multi-coloured? As it stands, I take it you're going for lightly decomposing/bruised?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I may be a sick bastard for saying this, but i think this would work a hell of a lot better if you textured it in a Rocky Horror Picture Show way and made them hairy man legs :p
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odium, that sounds great, but i want to show it ... hmm.. my bad english... pretty or something)
    MightyPea, I don't really understood, sory :-[ , here is texturing progres as far as it now with normalmap, and one part of diffuse, i added some skinlike noize)
    1022719.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man i am enjoying the design of this character very interesting stuff. the texture looks decent to me assuming the legs are from a dead woman. Not enough color for living tissue but i like what u have done with the irritation at the tops and the green hues that realy bring out the dead flesh coloration.

ok for cc the area at the tops of the legs appears to have too much black in the skinned version but im not seeing it in the flats. try and keep the area where it connects to the machine more red with some purple to show a little bruising/ hemmoraging under the skin. a little more definition on the thigh and the back of the knee wouldnt hurt, but not bad as is.

-Woog
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity wrote: »
    hey man i am enjoying the design of this character very interesting stuff. the texture looks decent to me assuming the legs are from a dead woman. Not enough color for living tissue but i like what u have done with the irritation at the tops and the green hues that realy bring out the dead flesh coloration.

ok for cc the area at the tops of the legs appears to have too much black in the skinned version but im not seeing it in the flats. try and keep the area where it connects to the machine more red with some purple to show a little bruising/ hemmoraging under the skin. a little more definition on the thigh and the back of the knee wouldnt hurt, but not bad as is.

-Woog
    Thanks, but that pink part looks like sss on the model, i'll try to make it more real
    and what about pores, do you think that it will better if ill make them harder?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah pretty intresting indeed, might be nice to have some elements or forms come down off the top engine and down into the legs a bit.

also it might be good to think up more of an attachment mechanism because right now it looks like you took a female model, chopped it in half and droped a kit bashed engine ontop.

pretty strange subject, this could be pretty intresting with the right execution.

also as far as the texture goes I think a little contrast boost could go a long way-
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    yeah pretty intresting indeed, might be nice to have some elements or forms come down off the top engine and down into the legs a bit.

also it might be good to think up more of an attachment mechanism because right now it looks like you took a female model, chopped it in half and droped a kit bashed engine ontop.

pretty strange subject, this could be pretty intresting with the right execution.

also as far as the texture goes I think a little contrast boost could go a long way-
    Yea, ill try some contrast, but modelling is finish'd at this point :)
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    It is looking a little to half-and-half-ish, but if yer done with the modeling, yer done with the modeling.

It might be more helpful if you base coat the whole model before trying to render just the legs. Right now the white of everything else is throwing off what color is actually in the legs and it'll be mush easier to gauge when the legs and other other elements are at least somewhat in line with each other.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch wrote: »
    It is looking a little to half-and-half-ish, but if yer done with the modeling, yer done with the modeling.

It might be more helpful if you base coat the whole model before trying to render just the legs. Right now the white of everything else is throwing off what color is actually in the legs and it'll be mush easier to gauge when the legs and other other elements are at least somewhat in line with each other.
    well im not sure about color scheme of this model, but i'll try)

And what about pores?
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, the color, that was just vray problems, her's skyline)1023839.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i think the last one is abit overstepped the green could be toned down a bit, as for the pores, i would hold off on that till everything else is done and create those later. that lvl of detail is not something you will easily notice on the legs,

what u should be looking to add in my opinion once you have the color roughed out add something to make it seem more real in the area of freckles, moles, and prehaps some stretching highlights on the kneecap and an shins. u will have to try some stuff. come up with a story of the person the legs came from and this will probably be easier.

i know its gross try and find some pictures of gangrene damage for refrence on the connection point to the motor, also see if u can find refs of cadavers for coloring since its not something u see everyday. gl keep on it

-woog
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, I've burn my hand, so couldn't even hold the mouse in it :(
    now i'm fine and think that i finish'd with the textures
    1044184.jpg
    I'm really tired of it ^___^
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first finished skin
    1047249.jpg
    1047299.jpg
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really want to hear C&C)
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good I think. Maybe the shoes should be darker?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    she should have either black or shiny red shoes imo
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    wow, great idea. it's really creepy.

I think the main problem right now is that the materials are very ambiguous. I really don't know if the leg part is supposed to be skin?? right now it looks like a sort of.. artificial material, like porcelain or something... or a plastic. that might be okay for what we've got here.. giving her too much of a zombie vibe might not be what you're going for...

but what ever material it is made out of.. make a decision, then get lots of reference and learn how to reproduce it very clearly. if it's skin, don't be afraid of getting some super high rez nude photos and just ripping texture sections off them and stitching that together..

So far, i find that the trick with texturing is to lay down a few things.. not that i'm a master.

1. get your base values and colors down, and understand what the material looks like in shaddow and highlights. skin for example, saturated and turns red in it's shaddows because light is bouncing off blood underneither it's surface. one of the above shots that you have that looks more like skin doesn't have this and she looks like a zombie.. which actually DOES sort of work here, because she'd clearly be dead. again, it's up to you. these are the sort of judgement calsl you have to learn to make when you understand what makes a material look like a material.

2. start putting in some medium size details. if it's skin, then some blemishes, colorization, and that sort of thing is probably needed.. as well as some detailing for her knees,.. what ever. take those nylons and tear them somewhere, as if she might have bumped up against something repeatedly. understand what you're character does and put in details that support that story -- story is the key word here. your details should tell a story. don't put in too much detail either... but what is there has to be VERY CONFIDENT. put something LOUD in there and make it CLEAR. then shut the fuck up for a while and give my eye a chance to rest in the boring areas, before giving me another big juicy piece of information.

if you're making a plastic, then try having warped dents here and there in your normal map.. perhaps some scrapes, rips.. maybe some rips exposing some machinery underneith..

anyway i'm getting carried away here. it doesn't need much more detail, all it needs is simpler detail here and there to tell me what this material IS.. just a few little reference details to tell me "this is skin" or "this is plastic"

now as far as that metal goes... that doesn't look like metal. it needs to be MUCH darker, and have a very bright specular map applied to it. learning to paint specular maps for metal can be a bitch...

i'd cover the metal part with more grunge, and patch it up... put some water stains (lay down black with a hard brush, and erase it gradually from the inside out, untill it's fairly transparent, but still has a somewhat-vissible solid edge)

ah! i just realized i've got to run. i'll come back later. ask questions if you're confused.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya pretty neat concept. As far as CC goes, I would say the textures have a long ways to go, The engine still looks like clay and does not look like a metal engine block. It could use a proper spec map and maybe some more oil stainage and wear and tear.
    As for the rest of it, you can't really tell what kind of material things are, particularly the legs, as john has pointed out.
    I agree also that the boots should be a shiny leather or even a worn and dirty leather but right now they just look gray clay and don't give much separation from the model.
    A few more gears and maybe a drive belt might also give it another level of realism
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red shoes looking ugly
    I like black and shiny)
    27477035.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Reminds me of those enemies from PO'ed.

Po%27ed_logo.jpg
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The leg reminds me of the lamp from "A Christmas Story"
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow John Warner! This Is a best comment i've ever get! No kidding, please can you teach me how to make my textures realistic?

AnimeAngel, i want to make shooting mecanism at the top, little bit higher than the motor)

Imb3nt, Zerafian, nevere heard about it ^______^