Home General Discussion

EA BlackBox speculation WTF?

Jay Evans
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
Edge online seems to think EA Blackbox is going down? Not more Vancouverites outta work hopefully.

"Unconfirmed speculation has surfaced from several news outlets that EA will soon close its Black Box studio in Vancouver. "

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ea-abandon-black-box-studios

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've heard rumors about this as well, basically that Blackbox is getting shut down and sort of merged with the Burnaby campus.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Dunno if this sucks or not (If they're just going to displace the employees to the mothership in Bby).

It would definately suck if people get let go because of this.

I thought this wouldda happened YEARS ago when they first acquired them. Seems like odd timing if true.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Ugh. I hope they stay downtown. The Burnaby Campus is nice and all, but it's no downtown Vancouver. Burnaby is kinda boring, but the campus does kinda compensate with it's cool facilities. Being able to go out for lunch is a good stress reliever, and that's something you don't get out of Burnaby, with good lunch spots far off and far in between.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wouldn't surprise me, I've seen some signs of this happening. Hopefully it doesn't though, Vancouver's been taking far too many hits to our industry recently as is, but I doubt that will be factored into the decision.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    If the franchise doesn't get enough second chances it's likely gonna happen.

I wonder how some of the people who were to moved to the Black Box location's going to feel?