Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rangda

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
I picked up this old model by Firestarter and gave it some love'n. I stayed away from pixel pushing and texture business here, this was mostly painted with Deep Paint 3D (thanks conte for tip). Besides the fact it gradually kills the color every time it exports the texture, it's great, the projection paint is so direct and effective (not to mention seams killer) I wish I had discovered it earlier.

Here are the renders:

:scroll down for update

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Man i love this.the texture is ACE.

Question,have you used bodypaint? i have it with me right now and painting over low poly models is a pain in the ass. So i was wondering, how does deep paint handle low poly models compared to bodypaint :/
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good Shotgun, always impressed by your texturing skillz.

One small crit tho:
    The red hairs on the skull/ head look like they need to be blended into the head to look more organic and to match the rest of the hairs on the model. The hairs on the skull kind of look like they are floating currently. Other than that very very minor detail, looks frikin sweet.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice colours and texturing technique as usual on this guy Shotty :)

One thing that grabs me though is the lack of some areas of greater darkness. The darkest area on the texture seems to be the pupil and it would be nice to get some of this level of darkness throughout the rest of the texture to make it more punchy overall. Maybe just a brightness/ contrast pass over the dark areas could sort this out.

Great work overall though
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Well I personaly really like this overall "softness" of this model :) The colors are working REALLY well together and the design is awesome ! Oh well, I'm fanboy, I guess :D oh yeah I've ONE BIG CRITIC, though. You don't post enough !
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Deep Paint is awsome, But I switched to the latest bodypaint a litle while ago and tbh I realy like it. the painting tools , layers, brushes whatever are pretty decent, awsome to do a good layout all around, finshing touch, fix seems, paint ur base. Its pretty easy to learn too. Have a go!.

And nice work shotty, been a while, always love your choice of colors!

Ben
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I love this style. It's the kind that you would assume its done in 2d untill you start seeing screen shots from multiple angles all perfectly done.

Nice work!

BTW I use bodypaint and love it. I don't know what's not to like about it, other than the couple of features that it doesn't support that photoshop does (like using paths, fill/adjustment layers etc.) Anyways I would get really annoyed with bodypaint early on before I knew how to use it fully, but now I am constantly jumping back and fouth between bodypaint and photoshop when texturing. It is really easy, and you know if b1II uses it, it must be good ;)
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    looks great man, nice colours, good silhouette.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Damn that looks awesome. The colors, the proportions, the silhouette, everything looks really good. The only thing I can find on the whole mesh is that that the dark area's look a TAD too light, they don't seem to have the depth in them (or contrast I guess) that they could, but it's a small grip for an amazing piece, great work!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    throwing some good shapes there. very nice
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Damn this is tastey!

Mind if we see the flat?

Awesome job!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Merging the hairs into the head slipped my mind, I'll take care of that and try pushing and pulling some of those darks. I intentionally avoided dark edges, I think what is actually the problem is not the darkest darks not being dark enough, but the 'light' darks not being light enough. We shall see! I will post an update soon.

I have tried an older version of bodypaint but found 3d-painting a little clumsy. I'm using DP3D for projection-painting purposes rather than 3d-painting, so whatever 3d-painting features a software has doesn't interest me at this point.. ..although I may simply have to give it another go.

Renaud: a fanboy here to you too :) Let's see some more finished sculpts textured, like, hello? Here's smt I was messing around today in the new Crazybump Beta. c-r-a-z-y, I'm tell'n ya, the things that happen inside the program... woohoo!! Ok this is a kind of sewer texture.. it's a little fuzzy screengrab :\

bricks_sewer_pimp.JPG

Jason: i'll post it with the fixes soon.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I fixed the hairs, tweaked the shadows n stuff, plus some more little stuff. It was a good practice to try working more painterly, kind of sculpting the paint rather than airbrushing in hardlight with textures (much easier!). I was originally inspired by this and that kind of stuff (website here, 3-4 rows down) So now it's finished - time to quake.

rangda_pimp_34.JPG

rangda_pimp_ortho.JPG

ragnda_pimp_detail.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    glad you finished it, Eyal.
    i like it very much, looking so painterly.
    ))