Home General Discussion

Let the Right One In

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slum polycounter lvl 18
Has anyone seen this yet? I saw it tonight, and I have to say, it was quite awesome.

http://www.lettherightoneinmovie.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been meaning to see it actually, it looks pretty great, but i dont think we'll get it anywhere near here, i'de probably have to drive to madison to find a theatre showing it =(=(=(

[edit] Yeah, Madison or Minneapolis, fucking iowa!
  • obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    I saw this the other night, totally great.

I went in having no idea what it was about, which made it even better.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wells you guys got me interested. I'll check it out in hollywood
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Horror flick?

Edit: gg internet -> Vampire film, looks fun
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, to sum it up, it's basically a vampire love story. Kind of like Twilight, but not incredibly retarded.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    swedish vampire flick!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Finally saw this. Was hard to find in the video store, and it was just by accident. It was listed as "L
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Watched this a few months ago. I only knew it was about a vampire and that it was a "World cinema" film, and really didn't know what to expect. But I have to say it really surprised me and I though it was "bloody" good.

I highly recommend it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My wife saw a little bit, and was like "Is this a horror movie?", I was like "It's a love story.".

Just bought the book on Amazon... yay!! I can read!!!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Lamont wrote: »
    My wife saw a little bit, and was like "Is this a horror movie?", I was like "It's a love story.".

made me lol ..

fantastic movie .. if only it got as much coverage as angsty sexual repressed teen vampire films
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Finally saw this. Was hard to find in the video store, and it was just by accident. It was listed as "L
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man they made the movie again? I'm like 2 years late on everything, I JUST learned Obama was elected president like two weeks ago...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    just to save you two years waiting.... obama got osama
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, spoilers!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13

Just bought the book on Amazon... yay!! I can read!!!
    Good choice, I hear the book is really good. If you watch the movie first then I think the book will clear some things up better.

Also to all the guys talking about not being able to find it in a video store; have you tried streaming movie sites? There are some sites here that offer movies over the net, you pay the same amount renting usuallty costs and you can stream it legally from a site for 24 hours. The quality is about 720p usually. Just a thought.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    And on the remake;
    Remaking a perfectly modern movie and remove its original setting for the sake of people finding it hard to read subtitles is a bit.. too comical :P
    Should I watch it so I can anger the blood?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    haha, make sure to also catch the millennium series remake when they come out ;)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, in the end movie rights are sold, so the original author gets a bunch of cash for it.

Even if a lot people will be the poorer for it for not being able to see foreign cinema.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    @Hboyowen: 'Let me in' is based on the screenplay and novel of 'Let the right one in'. I think it's remade so the american audience can relate to the characters better or something... Too bad they didn't include the Cat attack scene though. It's my favorite scene but I would love to see a different version(hollywood?) of it ;)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    dude this film is rip directly from Let me in withe girl from Kick-Ass you know this right? Or are they based on the same script

I think you mean, Let me in 2010 is a rip of Let the right one in 2008. Thats if it is a rip at all.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    @Hboyowen: 'Let me in' is based on the screenplay and novel of 'Let the right one in'. I think it's remade so the american audience can relate to the characters better or something... Too bad they didn't include the Cat attack scene though. It's my favorite scene but I would love to see a different version(hollywood?) of it ;)

And chickened out on the scar scene :P

Then again, original movie excluded the castration stuff, that stuff would never have gone well anywhere, the very least american cinema :P

They should totally remake pans labyrinth soon enough.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »
    And chickened out on the scar scene :P

Then again, original movie excluded the castration stuff, that stuff would never have gone well anywhere, the very least american cinema :P

They should totally remake pans labyrinth soon enough.

I hear the pedophile was a lot worse in the book as well. Have you read the book? I hear there were some important plot points that were removed from the original too,
    like the burning of the photo album

If you've read the book, what are your thoughts on the movie as opposed to the book?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cat scene was awesome. Sorry to all who have not seen it. The scar scene was in here.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ah yeah. Had to remind myself of the cat scene on youtube. Lol.

My fav scene is the pool scene though. Brilliantly done.

SPOILER ALERT!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ6qh0z48Uk[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I hear the pedophile was a lot worse in the book as well. Have you read the book? I hear there were some important plot points that were removed from the original too,
    like the burning of the photo album

If you've read the book, what are your thoughts on the movie as opposed to the book?

Nope, haven't read the book, but I often go on an internet reading spree just read about what didn't go into some movie from the book, and yeah, book has some really dark stuff in it.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the American version when it released in October. Read the book the night before. I missed the first climax and 10-15 minutes before it but got back just as the pool scene started.

The book has a few expanded plot lines:
    *Oskar's/Owen's (did they really need to change his name?) 16year old neighbor has a plot line where his mother is getting married to the police chief. He steals the chief's shooting trophy and later gets trapped in the shelter below the apartments with the acid faced 'zombie'/revenant after Eli lures the zombie/revenant down there. The neighbor boy uses the trophy to smash the zombie/revenant's head in. The police chief finds his a couple hours later still smashing the head to mush, muttering to himself.
    *Oskar/Owen in the book really gives off the vibe of a serial killer in training. He keeps a scrap book of all the murders he reads about in the news.
    *There is a bit with Oskar/Owen having read all the Goosebumps books and listening to KISS's Destroyer album. The referenced the KISS album in the movie by having Abbey wear a KISS shirt for the "what happens if I don't invite you in?" scene.
    *Eli/Abbey has a strange puzzle that breaks into hundreds of little pieces when Oskar/Owen touches it. It seems like it would be an important object but isn't.
    *Oskar goes to spend a few days with his dad.
    *The woman Eli bites is part of a plot line where her and a bunch of middle aged bar friends react to the strange things going on. After she gets bitten but before she is taken to the hospital one her friends/love interest finds she has been bitten and starts piecing everything together. The woman spends a couple days in her apartment slowing degenerating into a vampire before the love interest finds her. He figures out it's a vampire causing everything but I don't quite remember how that was resolved.
    *Eli showed Oskar vision of his past by kissing him. How Eli was chosen to be a vampire by a vampire who chose a bunch of young boys from the local villages then picked from those boys, how Eli was castrated.
    *There is a sub-plot about a Russian sub that ran aground in the Baltic Sea but that is just a temporal framing device like Reagan's speeches in the American movie. I thought for half the book that this was going to be important to the plot. You know: Russian sub runs aground, infects some people with something that turns them into vampires, Eli bites the woman, she turns, starts biting other people, mass vampire outbreak, ect...

I'm not sure how much of that was included since I missed the first climax.

Chloe Moretz was really good as Abbey and it was funny having at the time recently finished the last season of Lost and seeing
    Jack's son
    as the main bully. I was also surprised it was a Hammer film.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    and detail about
    eli being short for elias
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Asherr wrote: »
    'zombie'
    from watching the movie, i had the impression that it's just the vampire-girl's protector, grown old living beside her? and that by the end oscar is basically set up to suffer the same sad fate one day?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    It is. I used
    the word 'zombie' because by that point he is pretty much mindless/insane from the acid to the face and vampire virus(?) and only wants to have sex with Eli. I think by that point in the book Eli calls him a revenant or ghoul.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Asherr wrote: »
    *Oskar's/Owen's (did they really need to change his name?) 16year old neighbor has a plot line where his mother is getting married to the police chief. He steals the chief's shooting trophy and later gets trapped in the shelter below the apartments with the acid faced 'zombie' after Eli lures the zombie down there. The neighbor boy uses the trophy to smash the zombie's head in. The police chief finds his a couple hours later still smashing the head to mush, muttering to himself.
    Yes, that's one of the things my friends were talking about which in their opinion was the most scary parts in the book. Is he a zombie though? I thought he became a vampire?

Those are some interesting points. I'm thinking of reading the book too.
    Oh yeah; another important plot point was the burning of the bully's desk at school. The main reason the bully and his brother are so pissed off is because the bully had a photo album with photos of their father(Who's passed away) in the desk which was destroyed. That's why they've come for revenge to the swimming pool.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was one of the weaker points of the book myself.

I'd say Let the Right One In is one of the few instances where the film is actually markedly better than the book. There's a lot of characters and plot removed entirely from the film which makes it a far stronger, more focused narrative about Eli and Oscar. It also keeps a number of elements more ambiguous, most notably H
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    The only omission I think it's a pity to lose (though for the aforementioned focused story it might be necessary) is the
    gay
    subtext of the book.
    Oscar loves Eli, even after he finds out she's a he which adds some perspective to some of the other story elements and themes
    . There's a nod to it in the movie, though without context it's more of a WTF moment than anything with any real meaning.

I think it's more about
    eli not being anything, not boy, not girl and definitely not human, and then the fact that they're both pretty young, it's a relationship beyond homo/hetero and even the natural human kind
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the book.

I liked it. Some parts were a bit stretched out. But the movie was just as good. Both are worth your attention.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    So, Let me in is the american remake of Let the Right One In?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    [HP] wrote: »
    So, Let me in is the american remake of Let the Right One In?

Yes. Or at least Let the right one in was out first.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I watched this a while back, and I know it's a good movie. The performances are brilliant, especially from child actors, the direction was quite good, the story telling was great, it had feeling, it felt fully true, and I couldn't give a shit... I always hear about how great this movie is, and I KNOW that it is, but I just don't care about it. If it's a choice between this, and almost any other movie, I'll choose the other movie.

I have no idea why this movie doesn't speak to me at all, on any level. Maybe it's cause I despise coming of age stories? I'd love to know why
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    I have no idea why this movie doesn't speak to me at all, on any level. Maybe it's cause I despise coming of age stories? I'd love to know why
    It's because you're 5. You can't relate to coming of age movies. Hehehehe...
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha...

Yeah I can relate I just don't care
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    Ha...

Yeah I can relate I just don't care
    Don't make me regret my "Let the Right one In" lower-back tattoo...
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Lindqvist (Author) have said he's working on a sequel to the book. :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it's just another case like, Napoleon Dynamite. I get it, I just don't think it's funny. Or Pixar, it's obvious people love them, they're just not entertaining (to ME), and none of them speak to me. Except for Monsters Inc. And Superhero movies, just... No... I guess there's worse things in life than not being into something that speaks to a lot of other people. I'll shut up, and excuse myself from this thread now.

Please resume discussing your enjoyment of a fine film.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Close the door on your way out.

I'm not sure how I feel about a sequel to Let the Right One In. The ending is open enough, but I'm not sure closing that arc is likely to be beneficial to the narrative.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Just finished watching this film. Now that was definitely something... in a good way.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Close the door on your way out.

I'm not sure how I feel about a sequel to Let the Right One In. The ending is open enough, but I'm not sure closing that arc is likely to be beneficial to the narrative.

Yeah, I agree
    The ending is pretty clear, Oskar takes the place of the pedophile. We don't need to actually see it happen. Perhaps it would turn out different though, in that case it's eligable.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Swedish version on Film 4 Monday 15th Aug 9pm (gmt)

Get it watched.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Threadsurection... finally found the American version.

It was ok, but felt dis-jointed jumping from scene to scene.