Home Technical Talk

Windows xp 64 or Vista for 3D apps?

t4paN
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
t4paN polycounter lvl 10
So, it turns out my current rig, core 2 duo @ 2.66, 8800gt and 4 gb ram (essentially 3, since I'm running windaz xp 32 bit) can't cut the mustard in higher poly sculpting or when more than a mil's worth of polies are loaded into Maya or Max.

I'm thinking of going 8gb ram, but I really can't see my self going to vista and I was wondering if Windows XP x64 is a worthwhile OS...

halp-cat.jpeg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from a few small oddities, xp 64 works as advertised. I would definately recommend it. Mudbox and modo run greatttttt with it.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, I'll probably do that then.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    The only issue I have found is that finding drivers for some items like wireless cards, scanners and such aren't as prevalent, as advanced, (or even exist) for XP 64 versus Vista 64. Im sure it works great with programs that can run in 64, especially since your not dealing with the resource hog of Vista fluff. My experience with both at this time is as a system builder not as a end user keep in mind.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I hope Windows 7 is everything Vista was not.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    I have heard Win XP 64 bit is just as or even more buggy than Vista. I too want to upgrade my windows but am quit confused on which suicidal windows platform to use. I almost want to wait for the new Windows to come out first!

What is everyone else using on the ol' Polycount forums using on their machines to run Max, Maya, Z-brush and/ or Mudbox these days?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I work under Vista ultimate 64 and all the programs i use run perfect!

If you go after a 64 bit OS, I would say Vista.

I'm working with some quadro fx videocards and one 8400GS. modo runs great with the 8400GS (less than 30 euro and as good as a quadro O.O)
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Ye, I'll definetly recommend going for vista 64bit, bought home premium for my new rig and it works really well, and all 3d apps are much faster.
    Be prepared to spend a bit of time and power on the transition, and make note that older hardware might no be compatible (especially sound cards)

I'll second whatever people said about XP64, best be avoided - every person I know who tried XP64 said the same ... and you should look into getting an new OS for the next few years rather than a 64bit version of an older one.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Aside from a few small oddities, xp 64 works as advertised. I would definately recommend it. Mudbox and modo run greatttttt with it.

too bad modo has no 64bit support yet :(
    nevertheless, it does run great with vista - had odd slowdowns at first, but upgrading the forceware drivers took care of that.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Oh, now I'm confused again... Thing is, if I decide to go Vista I'll probably do it in dual boot, I don't think I'm going to enjoy making Vista my primary OS... Whole thing just kinda reminds me of the Windows ME situation - yikes.

Damn, I really hope 8gb of ram makes a frigging difference when working with ZBrush...
  • DimitrisT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimitrisT polycounter lvl 17
    I have used windows xp64 for a year now and I haven't had a single real problem with it yet.

Only thing really, is that there are no drivers for older peripheral devices like my scanner and my mobile phone which I connect to my older rig. But this problem is obviously the same for Vista 64.

If you only have one computer and you have for example a scanner that you want to use, you can always install a 32-bit OS virtually and run it that way. Also mobile phones and digital cameras pretty much always have a memory card that you can plug directly to a memcard reader bypassing the problem as well.

Also there were some problems with plugins not supporting 64-bit applications so I had to install the 32-bit version of the app as well. Developers are starting to catch up now though and all plugins I use on a daily basis now have 64-bit versions, like for example dRaster Nex and ActorX.

The programs I've used a lot and can say really work well on xp64 are Maya 2008 x64, ZBrush 3, Digital Fusion 5, Photoshop CS3, CrazyBump. Although I hear the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS4 only works for Vista 64.

I've helped 4 people in my class build rigs and they have been using win xp64 for a while now as well and they haven't had any problems with it either.

I hope this helps your decision!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I have the 32 bit XP and 64 bit XP on my machine(dual boot). I haven't had any problems yet. Silo works nice on XP 64, Wacom has drivers for XP 64. I keep my 32 bit XP just in case some new programs I try refuse to work in XP 64 though.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    but can anyone confirm that XP64 is actually faster as Vista 64? - the problem I have with vista but also the CS3 suite from adobe is that it got way slower compared to older versions. Would it be 10 - 30% faster using XP64 instead of the consumer Vista version?
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I had xp 64 on a p4ht machine at work, I used it for about 2 years with no issue, the only reason I was forced to change was because the office's free virus software didn't have a free 64 bit version.

I was running max 8 and ps cs2 on it with no issues, it was a dell machine though and had a quadro graphics card.

My new system is using vista 32, and I have 2x2048 ram on it, so I'm maxed out. And the only reason I stayed with it is because my 11x17 adf scsi scanner doesn't have a 64bit driver. I've decided that I'm going to dualboot the system with vista32 and 64 eventually though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, you've got a bunch of people who have actually used xp64 recommending it as a good OS, and a bunch of other people who have never used it, but "heard bad things" of which the same can be said for vista... Hmmmmm =D
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    yup, the only reason I'm not exclusively on 64 is for my 15 year old scsi card and my 20 year old document feeder scanner :P

I liked xp64 a lot, it was lightning fast on the p4ht, and when I went down to 32 it was uber slow.

After spending the weekend with vista32, I can't say I hate it or have many issues with it. A lot of the stuff people I've heard complain about (especially in the mac ads) can be turned off.

Then again... the system I'm running it on is a q9300 quad core... so I probably won't have many issues with performance.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    So, you've got a bunch of people who have actually used xp64 recommending it as a good OS, and a bunch of other people who have never used it, but "heard bad things" of which the same can be said for vista... Hmmmmm =D

Yeah, looks like I got my answer... Well, xp64 it is - I wanted to try them out since I got my new pc, guess I'm all out of excuses now anyway.
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
    But isn't the big issue that Vista is much much slowing and resource hungry? I have a 4 year old p 3.4ghz 1gig laptop with xp and a dual core E6400 2gig desktop with vista64. And they almost feel the same speed. I'm going to reinstall xp on my desktop And I'm sure it will feel like I've upgraded my hardware, when I do.
    Don't get me wrong, I did really like vista. I'll never forget when I had a evil virus on all of my computers and none of the antivirus software I used could remove it, but with the computer that had Vista it was fixed in seconds, just by auto updated!! I thought that was amazing. But power is king in my world.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    I would say Vista x64

I use it at home works fine! I would not suggest xp 64 as it will need special drivers that a lot of companies are not developing for since Vista is out and xp 64 did not sell in comparison.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'm on XP x64 exclusively since a year back on my workstation/gaming PC. Never had problems with drivers, and I continuously replace and upgrade parts for it and attach new gadgets and gizmos.

On my "casual machine" I run XP x86, just because that's the license that came with it, but I never do anything other than browse the Internet and watch TV shows / movies on it.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I was just about to post to this forum with the exact same question!

I'm making the jump to 64-bit and the only question has been Vista or XP... I'm leaning toward XP 64-bit. The biggest issue right now is I'm having a hard time finding it for sale online.

I found this...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-SP2C-System-Builders/dp/B000R46PN0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1228169392&sr=8-1[/ame]

But I don't understand what the real difference is. "for System Builders" seems to mean I can only install it on one PC, which is all I was going to do anyway. So if I want to run XP 64 bit can I just purchase this and be fine?

Or is there somewhere else that I can buy XP 64-bit?

Thanks
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    The place where I'm buying is cheaper.

Hint:

jollyroger.gif
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    im on vista64, but id recommend xp64 if its a machine u use for work mostly and dont care about little extra shit like dx10 for games or vista graphic bs. theres some small annoying bugs with vista64 and 3d apps like max and zbrush.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stick with Vista 64 Bit, reason because there is ALOT more software support and drivers that will work correctly rather then that rushed version of XP + if you were to put it that way...

I dont see any other reason to getting 64bit XP merely because we have Vista now... okay maybe some older programs but thats about it... 8GB of RAM is essential for someone like me :) all that 3-D Modelling AND Video Editing takes up the room. Also ALOT of games playing...
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your using max 2009 then vista x64 is ok but 2008 and earlier if your running aero it'll switch to "basic visual style" which can get annoying.

And what I found was that if your not running aero then you get annoying photoshop mouse lag which fixes itself in aero.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say Vista x64

I use it at home works fine! I would not suggest xp 64 as it will need special drivers that a lot of companies are not developing for since Vista is out and xp 64 did not sell in comparison.

You're about as likely to find drivers for XP 64 as you are for vista 64. Maybe in a few years this would be a problem, and maybe in a few years vista will be a stable OS, so its a wash really. =)
  • DimitrisT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimitrisT polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-SP2C-System-Builders/dp/B000R46PN0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1228169392&sr=8-1

But I don't understand what the real difference is. "for System Builders" seems to mean I can only install it on one PC, which is all I was going to do anyway. So if I want to run XP 64 bit can I just purchase this and be fine?

Or is there somewhere else that I can buy XP 64-bit?
    Thanks

This is the one I have as well. And yes you can only install it on one PC although you can make changes to your hardware as long as it's not mayor, like changing the motherboard.

I think a lot of the misconceptions of Windows xp64 not having drivers come from way back when the first amd 64bit processors came out and the OS was, indeed, rushed out. A lot of developers just didn't care to create drivers for an OS which not that many people used.

However, when Vista came to the scene Microsoft wouldn't certify developers 32-bit drivers if they didn't also include a 64-bit version, which has of course helped xp64 as well.

Also keep in mind that xp64 isn't based on win xp but instead the more stable OS, win server 2003.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    DimitrisT wrote: »
    However, when Vista came to the scene Microsoft wouldn't certify developers 32-bit drivers if they didn't also include a 64-bit version, which has of course helped xp64 as well.

The problem with that idea is that the way the drivers interact with the OS are different, so many developers aren't bothering with xp64 versus just Vista64 or not adding the full functionality (more money for that time to make the two different versions for a even smaller audience).
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i have been personally using xp64 for more than 3 years now and its working great. i would recommend it too. i built my own pc, and bought hardware that had xp64 drivers. some of the best hardware usually has xp64 drivers.

i use vista64 at work and simply hate how the windows browser it setup by default. out of the box it is basically an OS for noobs and not professionals. no dis-respect to anyone who uses it but thats how microsoft designed it with tabs like "rating" and "tag" instead of "date modified". wth would i need "rating" as a tab in my data folder ?

xp64 is really light on system resources and not to mention there are very very few virus attacks on xp64.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Was there a work around for the date modified thing MM?
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Nevermind I found this guide

At the end it also points out the advantages of the vista explorer which are worth having a look at.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    And what I found was that if your not running aero then you get annoying photoshop mouse lag which fixes itself in aero.

And I thought my RAm has bad timings because I always got lags while using certain photoshop tools plus max9 under vista.
    will check it out.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    The problem with that idea is that the way the drivers interact with the OS are different, so many developers aren't bothering with xp64 versus just Vista64 or not adding the full functionality (more money for that time to make the two different versions for a even smaller audience).

People keep saying things like this but never actually give examples. I've had zero issues with anything at all important driver wise with xp64. I had a shity old webcam i couldn't find drivers that worked for, but i really doubt i would be able to find them for vista64 either.

Like per says, he even found drivers for his 10 year old printer and scanner, honestly the people who complain about this stuff *have not actually used xp64*.