Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Ravinder Sembi Modeller/ 3D Artist

hi, I'm new to here,
just put together my portfolio and was wondering if i can get some feedback and crits?
i don't have much low poly stuff as i just changed my career path from architectural visualization, working on some more low poly stuff at the moment. All of the work on my site is all personal as i can't show my architectual works :(, trying to find a job soon, its going to be tough:(

www.boogotti.com

oh theres some great talent on this site!
thanks

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Lose the splash-page!

- Seriously. Make boogotti.com just end up at http://www.boogotti.com/root/news/news.html
    Get your art in front of people's eyes as soon as you can.

- I really like your thumbnails. Maybe you could lose all of the text, so people get to see more art at first glance? Right now, one a low resolution, only the top two thumbnails are visible, and it's hurting your chances to make a maximum impression at the earliest possible moment.
    Especially lose the blog-like date. It means nothing to anyone.

-If it's actually running on blogger or wordpress or whatever, make sure Firefox can read your rss-feed. This can be a great way for people to keep up with your work. They might not be the people who'll hire you, but getting your art out there is a good thing!

-oh, it just now occured to me to check the upper navigation-bar. This isn't your portfolio yet? That's a bad thing. I also much prefer the wide thumbnail you have in the news section to the three undescriptive ones in your portfolio.

-I think getting rid of the signature and replacing it with a bar at the bottom that has your name, email and website in there would be a good idea. This way, people who've saved a picture from your website actually know who you are, and have your contact-details.

On your mudbox2009 sculpt, are you displaying all the textures? I can't see the ear anywhere, unless it's actually just mapped to a non-descript fleshy bit on the texture, in which case it looks like you're using ssao, which shouldn't really be a total replacement for texture-baked ao yet, as far as I'm aware.
  • boogotti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    - Lose the splash-page!

- Seriously. Make boogotti.com just end up at http://www.boogotti.com/root/news/news.html
    Get your art in front of people's eyes as soon as you can.

- I really like your thumbnails. Maybe you could lose all of the text, so people get to see more art at first glance? Right now, one a low resolution, only the top two thumbnails are visible, and it's hurting your chances to make a maximum impression at the earliest possible moment.
    Especially lose the blog-like date. It means nothing to anyone.

-If it's actually running on blogger or wordpress or whatever, make sure Firefox can read your rss-feed. This can be a great way for people to keep up with your work. They might not be the people who'll hire you, but getting your art out there is a good thing!

-oh, it just now occured to me to check the upper navigation-bar. This isn't your portfolio yet? That's a bad thing. I also much prefer the wide thumbnail you have in the news section to the three undescriptive ones in your portfolio.

-I think getting rid of the signature and replacing it with a bar at the bottom that has your name, email and website in there would be a good idea. This way, people who've saved a picture from your website actually know who you are, and have your contact-details.

On your mudbox2009 sculpt, are you displaying all the textures? I can't see the ear anywhere, unless it's actually just mapped to a non-descript fleshy bit on the texture, in which case it looks like you're using ssao, which shouldn't really be a total replacement for texture-baked ao yet, as far as I'm aware.

thanks mightyPea for your feedback i will go through my site and make the amendments. As for the mudbox2009 sculpt the textures are cropped, i wanted to show the details @ 100%. would it been better if i put the whole texture image in? the textures are 4000px i didnt want to fill the page with big images.

Do have any feedback for the models, work wise any areas im missing? Do you think i need more body of work?
    sorry for all these questions
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's better to show the texture shrunken down then, but at least so one can see the entire texture. One way to do it is to have a shrunken down version, and have a small part of it enlarged to 100%. Although I don't think it's necessary to have it fullsize, especially not with normalmapped stuff, and especially not at 4k.

For the work itself it's probably best if you make separate threads.
    All in all, the work is quite solid, but you could improve on it if you start a thread for crits on anything specific, like your latest work or whatever.

Also, you could definitely do with more game-specific work. Assuming you want to get into the games-industry, not film, you do lack a lot of actual ingame assets.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I rather like this website - very much a fan of this sort of extrapolation and artistic presentation. It's better, IMO, than a bunch of viewport screenshots and image popups, where even if the art is amazing it is blunt, being limited to strictly visual information.

I think it's important to get the art out there up front right now first thing, etc, but once it's caught the eye, I also enjoy being able to browse the artist's thoughts and ideas regarding their own work.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking the website design, it's not click heavy and it also has a personal touch to it. More game stuff :)
  • boogotti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all your comments, i have just started a new project which is a futuristic tank carrier. the project is in very early stages and would like some crits and comments pls.

This is a large tank, the cylinder will give some idea of scale as its a size of a person. The tank has two openings one at the front for soldiers to deploy out of and a back exit.
    here are some concept sketches:
    20tf13p.jpg
    jr4486.jpg
    test renders:
    rcu3js.jpg
    1498uau.jpg
    viewport screen grabs
    sbscj5.jpg
    91f4fq.jpg
    16kuur7.jpg

This is the high poly model, what will be a reasonable tris count for a low poly model like this? i was thinking around 16000 tris.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    High poly version looks good from the distance, but can we see some more closeups + some wires?

And for low poly, the model poly count can be trimmed a fair bit, like couple of Ks.

Looking forward for more.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Amazing work. Texturing and modeling is great but I must say the hair on your characters is probably my favorite. So well done
  • boogotti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang wrote: »
    High poly version looks good from the distance, but can we see some more closeups + some wires?

And for low poly, the model poly count can be trimmed a fair bit, like couple of Ks.

Looking forward for more.

here are some more views this is the high res mesh from this i will eventually create a low poly model for in game use.
    As you can see i haven't started the middle body yet, just put in a place holder to get the proportions.
    im adding detail as i go through modeling it, as the concept sketch is vague.
    Any crits on the design of the tank?
    28swp7c.jpg
    rlbccm.jpg
    vhfhps.jpg
    28ho9k9.jpg

thanks Autocon:)
    does any know of any good tutorial's for cryengine 2? or 3ds max to cryengine 2?
    thanks
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh cryengine 2 lol, well if your looking to export from max to cryengine2 you'll need to download the SDK and install that first to get the relevant plugins for export.

The official documentation is great on telling you how to use their tools, here's the link - http://doc.crymod.com/. Quite a lot to go through and it answers lots of questions.
    The crymod forums are also awesome, people are really knowledgable and it's a friendly community

If you run into any problems, I'll try my best to help (knowledge permitting hehe it's been a few months now since I opened it) seeing as I used it from pre-SDK!