Home Contests & Challenges Archives

LPC: Time 2 Die - jprice

jeremy price
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jeremy price polycounter lvl 18
i'll start with a setting and then see if time allows for actual zombies...

place - underground wine cellar. Our team of heroes are hole'd up against the booze-zombies of the apocalypse. They're full of brains, now they're thirsty... and won't stop to sniff the cork.

'send... more... shiraz...'

Replies

• jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some reference, and top and camera wires (extra mesh cuts are either for mapping or vertex lighting)

top_wires.jpg

wire1.jpg

ref.jpg
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a few props... thought i'd try something a little stylized with the textures.

winerack
    winerack.jpg

barricade
    barricade.jpg

and some wine barrels
    barrel.jpg
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a 1st pass at the lighting (diffuse, vertex colours, raytrace shadows) and the texture atlas so far.

lighting2.jpg

atlas.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    hehe loving the texture method you have used! :D
    only thing im not feeling is the winerack IMO, it lacks depth. Add more terrorrrrrr into the environment too!

Everything looks awesome :) looking forward to updates! :)
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, yeah the wine racks are pretty 1st pass right now... i wanted to see how many polygons i had left over before adding profile detail to the bottles... but as it turns out there's a lot on the left side of the cellar that aren't seen so i think i've got some room:)
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after trying a few things out with the bottles (and quickly running out of polygons) it came down to a design change... more of a 'wine cupboard' now...

winerack2.jpg
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    took another pass on the lighting, and added some 'spills' (wine? blood? ...radiator fluid?)
    think i'll try to squeeze a survivor in now before the deadline.

lighting3.jpg

atlas2.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    design on those textures is ace but the lighting is washed out. it seems your lightbulbs emmit fog or the image is over exposed. you could also make it more interesting with one disorderd bulb and a candle somewhere in to really increase on lighting contrast and color-temperature.
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback,
    the fog/haze is due to it being a basement cellar so there's lots of moisture in the air, so i added it with alpha planes. I agree with the idea of taking one of the lights out though, its too bright still and would be a lot more ominious if it was darker.
    more updates coming.
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a quick concept for a survivor... would like to make her a husband as well but probably wont have time.

survivor.jpg
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    I love the style of that concept! nice stuff ^^
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    nice. I like the wine cellar idea!
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks... here's a 1st pass on the mesh, 807p including the purse and wineglass.
    maybe a little huge in the chest still:) will take a 2nd pass at it tomorrow.

charwip.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the texture with a quick rig and pose...
    (glass, purse, and beads are 3x64's)

lady.jpg

ladytexture.jpg

submit_03.jpg
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombie food...

lighting_chars.jpg
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turned the lighting down on the right too.. i think its scarier now

lighting5.jpg
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some wires, vertex colours, and both... could have optimized some spots where i thought it might need more light info, but its still close to target face count

submit_01.JPG
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    style is looking super awesome, man!
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really loving the progress on this. The zombie shadow in the blue light is sweet.
    I'm just getting into texturing and your texture on "The Connasieur" is bending my head in a good way. I was trying to figure it out.
    The trim on the bottom of the dress is used on the neck border , split above the breasts and flipped ?
    The shoes are a mystery to me with the black edge and the little buckle highlights.
    Eyes are mirrored and nails I can see in the flesh part of the map.
    Is the necklace a second UV set or extra geom with an alpha and then tiled ?

Would it be possible to see the wires for the UV's on top of your texture or the texture borders and cuts on your model.

Whats the rough workflow you use to achieve this type of layout ? Do you paint and then tweak the UV shells to fit the painting ? Your method seems so efficient and crisp for such a small texture size.

Fantastic work so far and good luck in the comp
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    very interesting texture work, i like the style!
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks MoP/Wheel

for the unwrap on the lady Wheel its not too complex.
    The style of the textures leaves a lot of flat areas of colour so you are free to line up uv's in really wierd ways without seams showing.

To fake the cel shaded/stroked look each colour region in the texture is bordered with a thin black line.
    Then all the faces that border a surface material are mapped to that. (the edge of the arm for example)
    Doing it this way means that you can't have a change of material in the middle of a polygon, it has to be along an edge.

to map the arm i selected the border polygons and used a uvw map face map...

example1.jpg

then added a unwrap uvw on top and adjust the opposite verts to adjust the width of the stroke.

example3.jpg

the rest of the uv's of the arm are shrunk down small and stuck somewhere inside the colour area.
    If you have a detail like a wrinkly elbow squiggle or something like that, you'd map that one polygon to that portion of the texture.

here's the uv's and a shot of the seams...
    example2.jpg
    example4.jpg

as far as making the texture its just a matter of figuring out what detail you want to include and then painting it. mapping is done after that with small adjustments to the texture to resolve any tricky areas.

the necklace, bracelets, purse and wine glass are seperate objects that use their own 64's.

hope this helps
  • Wheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks so much for spending the time to show the workings it's really appreciated. It's so much more than I expected. I'd have never ever worked that out, it's a real UV layout epiphany for me.
    UV Mapping was starting to feel like a "dark art" and this is so far outside the box (not 0,1) I was in, it's just what I needed.
    Inspirational, invigorating I feel ready to wrangle some UV's. It really helps.
    I'm flipped on my head and grinning , thanks again.