Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barn WIP

vik
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
vik polycounter lvl 13
Hi everyone, this is the stuff I`m working on, and would like to improve it further so please do comment :). Everyting is still a wip including environment and lighting.

2qbt5w7.jpg
Will post some closeup shots of the assets once I figure out why Sandbox keeps eating my normal maps. The above shot is from the editor.

c5c91.jpg

Based on the mythic concept for warhammer>
wa0ryr.jpg

Will post more images when I get back from work. Cheers.

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool-- kind of like your more realistic take on the concept-- I think you could push the roof tiles a bit more
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I really love this!
    The diffuse is great, now all weneed is a better normal map! :D hope you didnt nvidia all the stuff in :)
    Hope it turned out realistic on purpose :P but making a barn like the one in the concept would have been a better challenge i guess

hmm...cryengine you say....looks alot like the marmoset engine :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good presentation

Model:
    great wimsy on the roof, but everything else is planar. Dilapidated is a fun word to use. Nothing can be perfect, avoid 90 degree angles, perpendicular or parallel edges, etc.

Be sure to trim everything, you’re missing a transition between the walls and the roof tile, so it's just two different materials butting up against each other.

Texturing:
    Less Google, more painting. You've got all the small details that come from using photos. This makes your colors look great, and I'm sure this looks really nice when you walk right up to it and look, but at a distance it's pretty much nothing. Basically you did the last step first. A good example here is the error you're getting on the vertical boards on the left. While it's best to always paint for all distances, if you're certain this is your presentation angle, at least fix this board so it renders correctly from it.

More to come if you find this agreeable.

edit: if it's normals, replace the word "painting" with "sculpting".
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. I dilapidated (learned a new word :)) it a tad more and added some trims where the roofing meets the walls.
    Painting -Which board? :) Yes, it supposed to look good from all distances, not just from a distance. I made the surface details first using images I desaturated, leveled and masked in PS then using colour overlays and finally painting in the wear&tear. These are all in seperate layers so it makes it easier to generate normal maps because I can hide all the colour information. I`m not sure if that`s how you supposed to do it but it seems to give better results compared to when you just CB the finished texure )?

23kdjec.jpg
    9s5qwx.jpg
    2ryo9l0.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Love the way you did the edges on the roof, very nice :)
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    i really miss some preshaded stuff - gradients / ambient occlusion / gi whatever. this will increase the overall texture depth quite a bit.

what are these subdivsions at the windos for? i mean these could be floating meshes no need to cut them into the wall i suppose..

and try to work even more on the stuff chris holden mentioned ;)
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    Cryengine 2 has realtime ambient occlusion. so no need to bake it in in common scenarios. :)

Reall fresh piece of art. Is it for a mod or something?

If it looks not taht good from distance maybe you can tweak the mipmaps by hand in photoshop with a little color correction.
    I lost a really good artice found on gamasutra about mipmapping in photoshop...to bad..

Like to see more of this. :)

EDIT: Looking a bit longer at it I think some decals and slightly dirt would be really good for this model. especially the chimney area and below the trims.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    michi.be wrote: »
    Cryengine 2 has realtime ambient occlusion. so no need to bake it in in common scenarios. :)

Reall fresh piece of art. Is it for a mod or something?

If it looks not taht good from distance maybe you can tweak the mipmaps by hand in photoshop with a little color correction.
    I lost a really good artice found on gamasutra about mipmapping in photoshop...to bad..

Like to see more of this. :)

EDIT: Looking a bit longer at it I think some decals and slightly dirt would be really good for this model. especially the chimney area and below the trims.

This is partially true.

Unless I'm wrong, screen space ambient occlusion only effects actual geometry and will have no effect on false geometry represented by normal maps. So if you have a flat wall with some kind of geometry normal mapped on it would need to have an AO map, if there is actually geometry the screen space AO will take care of it.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    this looks *really good. I love the style, i love the level of detail

only two things :

the tiles on the main roof seem really subtle, almost looks like blue canvas on the perspective shot

the rooftop above the main door, the way it doesn't meet the main pitched roof ... mnnaaargh ... i can see how it *could happen, i just don't see that it *should happen ... do you have any *ahem* real-world reference for this bit of architecture? (it doesn't really read like that on the concept, not to me anyway).
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the suggestions. I made some changes to the roof so it makes more sense now, made the normal maps work in the editor now which should add some depth to the textures and played with the lighting. Ohh and some more trims.

Vegetation and chicken (can you spot him?) is from the engine, just wanted to point that out to avoid misunderstandings :)

Regarding SSAO: hmm cool tech for sure. I did bake the AO where I had a hipoly version though (for example chimney)

Warning large image ahead >>

2en998l.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I fucking love it. The realisim is really something.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Nice. Now add some extra edges and add shading information with vertex colors...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    very inspiring vik.. I wish cry modding was more Maya friendly. Thanks for posting.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    great texture work. keep it up!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    wow, great stuff, feels summer :)

I agree with IxenonI about more AO information with vertex color (fast and simple way) or bake it in another unwrap channel.

You also could add some more tiny rocks and grass where walls meet the ground. In this way it will look more integrated and old. Especially where u have that old deformed stone wall - its color is way darker than the ground that it touches.
    Also that deformed corner piece does not feel to me like it is composed by individual stones. It looks more like a skin. Maybe you could have several stone pieces actually modeled and pop out a bit from the surface. Or you can actually subdivide it a bit more and apply real displace based on your stone texture. Polycount will go higher but it might be worth it for this piece ;)
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/frame_lead.php?pid=938611&img=108&popup=1
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    the emblem on the door is almost unreadable the way it is now. Blends in way to much with the brown door. Maybe it just needs a slightly stronger AO outline or much darker color like shown in the concept as it is shown extremely dark and non the same light tone as the roof.

anyway fantastic work, love it so far
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    The scene is looking great. Is the foliage in there Cry Engine stuff, or custom content? The light is nice as well, really makes me want to crack the engine open and make a scene just so I can play w/ the dynamic light and time of day.

My one crit thus far, the base of the house and other objects that are intersecting the ground are too clean. There is a crisp line where the geometry intersects the terrain. Think about adding foliage / weeds / grass cards, etc to the base of the house to break up the silhouette, but also consider adding dirt and grunge to base on your textures to better ground things.

Keep at it!

-Tyler
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Three major hitting points now would be:

1) Eagle insignia on door is flat and almost invisible against door. You could easily sculpt something out based on that shape for a lot of depth in the material.

2) Low poly chimney has no defining shapes. It looks like a beehive. Needs to have brick shapes modeled in and cut out (really the same for all brick areas of this piece) for strong silhouette.

3) Ground transition. Color, mesh, etc. Right now it's kinda lego'ed into the scene. The best bet is bowing out the mesh near the ground, and adding more destruction and bits of house material around the ground there.
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very inspirational!!! In fact it makes me wanna pull out my copy of crysis and get modding!!!

Anyone have a good link to a 'intro to the max to crysis pipeline' tutorial?!

~C
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really great piece but i agree with some of the things said above. One thing is kinda annoying me though..... WHERE IS THE GODDAMN CHICKEN! :( ive looked all over and still cant find it.
  • byder
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    looks great man
    ps
    I have seen the chicken.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    this is just pure awesomesauce
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    the chimney looks like its made of a noise modifier without a clear shape. and the edge of the right picture could use some chamfering. the edge looks to clear at the moment. the broken plaster from the brick ends there suddenly at this edge.

but the rest of the stuff looks very nice. :)
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could definetly see myself running up to this house in a game like oblivion or fable 2. The only thing that is misleading is scale. Window size to that door at the top of the stairs makes the house seem, well.....huge.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can someone please show me this darn chicken, i have got no work done in the last 2 days because of it!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, i think it was this:

2en9982lkk7.jpg

with certain resolution it could happen :)
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I love the where's waldo on the chicken. I think you circled some sort of bucket/goblet thing. There's a closeup of it on the big image.

edit: Should also say I think this looks pretty amazing in engine. I also agree with Cholden about really making that eagle insignia pop on those doors.

I think this is it. (I also think it's running around so that's why you can't find it in the same spot)
    chicken.jpg
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    we got a winner! ^^ nice one Saidin lol
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good god! i was never going to spot that, i had a whole team of artists on it at work at one point :p

Phew, normality has been restored and i can get on with doing someting other than looking for chickens.

Great stuff Vik :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    psst
    theres a hidden spider in there too that I can see...
    THE HUNT BEGINS
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Made changes to the the bricky parts, the eagle insignia and most importantly resized the chicken so frubes can find them :) (he deserves a free kfc voucher for effort)

I`m working on a new scene so I`d call this done unless there is something in need of fixing.

2uoork9.jpg

Finally, some winter shots I made earlier. You can make any objects `frozen` in Cryengine which applies snow to objects according to their face normals(? my guess). I couldnt find a way to mask it or control it and the documentation is kinda lacking unfortunately. But thought I`d share them anyway.

4hcqpj.jpg

Thanks for all the comments&crits so far! :santa:
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I don't think there's too much you can play around with by default when trying to freeze objects, thanks for sharing.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    think its actually a per-pixel effect (you can see the effect of the norm maps), works nicely

great new lighting set-ups
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    *tosses unreal engine out the window*

this is looking beautiful. The snow effect does look a little unatural in certain areas, I would think that there would be a higher volume towards the base. I guess with its limits this wouldn't be editable?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    This is pretty fantastic. my one and only crit would be that the roof tile texture looks a bit flat and odd, like a patchwork quilt with rough edges. but thats the offending needle in a haystack of awesome.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing snowy version!
    Nice pockets of snow on roof tiles and in corners.

The only thing that could be a bit different as to me are snow spots on the wooden wall around the huge gate with eagle. Those spots look like random white brush distribution and it contrasts with other neat areas that u have got in your model ;)

Beside that it is great man !

edit: ah, sry , i dint see that the snow is controlled by the engine. Well in this case discard my comment on the weird white brush thing ;)
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for sharing the crysis modding manual,very inspirational.

Vj
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys, here are the maps please excuse the messy UV layout

main building 2x2k maps
    30dl4xi.jpg

props: 512x512
    9is9li.jpg

Final wires ~39k tris
    15o7b5x.jpg
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    This came out really cool man, looks great in the snow shot!