Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Thought i'd try my hand in character modeling for once.

Here's the base sculpt:

NCWIP1.jpg

and here's a clothing concept based off of the sculpt.

NCWIP.jpg

not sure what to do with colors though... Also he looks a little bit Egyptian, i am thinking that i want to drift away from that department.

what do you guys think?

Replies

• John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    interesting. the top of his torso/upper arms has got something interesting going on with it. it's very strong and solid feeling.

unfortunately, that doesn't carry over to the rest of the model. the lower arms fall apart... i think the torso is too long, that ridge around the abs is a bit out-of-style with the rest of him..

hard to describe. his upper torso and deltoids have got something to them that's very appealing. the rest of him looks completely uncompleted in comparison.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ignore what i just said about the torso being too long. i was off my rocker. i did a paint over. i hope you don't mind.

virtuo_model.jpg

i made the legs thicker to support that great torso of yours, mucked with the forearm a bit to make it a teeny bit more interesting, and scaled up his feet a tad.

i also moved his legs together. now he looks like he's supporting his own weight, which makes the entire character seem a lot more strong. weird bind poses are tricky because they can give a floaty look to your models, which throws stuff off a bit.

the index finger was also too short.

also, i'll just be honest -- that head is really ruining it right now. give it another shot! i think you could do much better.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea John you are definitely correct.

What i am planning on doing is using that base sculpt to help me form my HP elements for the clothing, which will cover up all of that detail anyways except for the arms/hands. Every thing else will be modeled in so the detail of the remainder of the body isn't important to me.

The things that are important to me in the sculpt are just the face and the arms now i guess.

I'll have to refine them before i start on anything else.

What do you think about the concept though? i want to focus on that before i change anything in the 3D realm.

Any paintovers are more than welcome, as well as ideas on color pallettes.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! you beat me in that last post haha

ya that looks loads better, my proportions were way off on the lower half of the body as usual!

thanks for taking the time to do the paintover!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah yeah. when i post i edit it like a fiend. it confuses the shit out of people.

no wories man, thanks for being cool with it :)
    i like the concept dude! i'm not sure what i think about them booties, but other than that it's cool. love that shoulder piece. very powerful.

what about just simple wrapped feet?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i did some color schemes, trying to find the one that pops the best,

i'm lookin for feed back here so any comments/critique will be nice.

oh btw John, thanks for making my character's penis a little bigger in your paint over, he looks MUCH more proportional now

colors.jpg
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer the bottom-left one
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update at post #11
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    top left or top right is better. Less cliche imo
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on Concept and Colors... now i get to start modeling... Won't get a good start modeling for a while though, have som busy stuff with school, i will have updates soon though i promise :-)

NCWIP2.jpg