Home General Discussion

Running during the winter, what gear to use

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Well I find myself needing to run 1.2 miles in 12 min. I started to train myself so I could pass the military screening tests. So it's winter or close enough, and I'm wondering what clothes I should wear for this time of year, since it snows here. I'm trying not to freeze :D. Normally I would only run in the summer, but since I'll probably be making the jump in the next 6 months I have to get ready. To be honest I don't know where to start. I guess I should google. Any help would be great. Thanks

Alex

Replies

• jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Wear shorts and a t-shirt with sweats on over the top. Take off the sweats just before you start running and put them back on or get inside as soon as you are done. At least thats how we used to do it in the Army.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    No indoor tracks around you? No treadmill?

Get some of that under armour cold weather gear. Shits great. I use it for a variety of activities and it really does work.

Just don't slip on ice and bust your ass or get nailed by a snow plow.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Well this begs the question. What kind of winter?

For a cold winter I'd suggest some polyproplene based underwear with a layer of polartec 100 or equivalent over the top and a fleece beanie. I'd reccomend some good gloves and socks as keeping the extremities warm is harder than keeping your core warm.

but of course if you're really hardcore then ...
    oyamaf.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea... we don't know where you live. Some winters are significantly more harsh than others. In some snowy places, I'd be fine with sweats or even just shorts, but in others I'd freeze to death.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    shorts, tshirt, socks, running shoes, go.

seriously, you'll keep yourself warm just by running.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Are we talking ~0 degrees? I've run in that kind of weather and just wore normal waterproof sweats, a t-shirt, and a waterproof jacket. Do a short warmup inside to heat up, then go running. Since the stuff is waterproof it doesn't ventilate well and you'll heat up nicely. Just make sure you time your run well so you get back home when you're done. Not such a good idea to walk around for 10 minutes in 0 degrees in sweaty clothing.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I live in Massachusetts. It will be between 0 to 50 degrees. I'll probably drive to a park that will let me run the mile without worrying too much about getting run over. One of my concerns is that I tend to sweet a lot and get hot very quickly, but I'm probably just over thinking this... Thanks for the feedback.

Alex
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I love running in winter, and I used to be a bike courier, so I can pass on this information. Concentrate on your feet. Nothing is worse than wet soggy cold feet. I found I can get over most anything but not slippy soggy cold feet that feel like frozen stumps.

for the rest of your body, Id wear wool. there are many types of fabrics to buy at the co-ops and such, ive owned tons of different waterproof gear. Other than for my feet, I found i didnt mind so much being a little wet as long as im warm. the super tech waterproof gear always seems to fall somehow in the warmth department. They always promise "vented and breathable" so much, and I found its cause they are not. I ended up sweating inside this expensive fabric and having that sweat sit, and turn cold fast, then I couldnt warm up again after that. So I ended up on my bike with a wool army sweater id bought at a surplus store. Ya I got wet but the sweater dried quickly when cowering in a hotel lobby, and was always warm. I continue to run in a lighter version of the same kind of sweater in the winter.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    sorry, double-post.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for multiple post, i really dont know what happened
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • killingpeople
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is something to consider,
    I remember that during my winter runs I had to prepare myself pretty well.
    - Im not sure if you guys mean by waterproof as windbreaker gear. I suggest windbreakers because they (duh) keep the wind from dropping your body temperature below what it needs to be (to start out with anyways, after some running you may be hot enough to run without them of course).
    - You still need to remember to bring you at least a bottle of water or two , with all that sweating under all that fabric, your gonna dehydrate just as much as you would in summer.
    - since your running at a local park Ill asume its a looping track. It may be best to set up a small check point where to keep a bottle of water and a place to toss your jacket after some running. I don't know how much you can trust the locals where your running but you could do that or run with your gear.
    I think that the most important thing to consider is avoiding Pneumonia. breathing in too much cold air can be damaging, so dont get too gun-ho about running when its below 15-20 degrees. safest thing to do in winter is run in a gym or get a friend with a treadmill. If you can run at a 12min 1.2 mile you dont have to worry about running so much, you'll be fine for the assesment since its about a 11min 1mile (if i remember right) to avoid fatCamp, but this is Army I'm talking about, navy and (specially) airforce may be more lenient.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Never run, but used to do a fair bit of winter biking and hill walking.. you've got to get some windproofs (windbreakers - what walkntalk said), in winter windchill is the nasty, and a base layer; avoid cotton like the plague, especially if you say you sweat a lot.. nothing causes problems faster than wet cotton because it stays wet.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Icebreaker Merino Wool base layer. Use this and normal shorts shirt and depending on wind a wind breaker as well. If its cold enough and not slushy outside normal running shoes work great, just pick up something like these: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627657&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733919&bmUID=1227546842571

I use them so I don't slip on the ice and you can't hardly feel them when running.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Just use wii fit and run after the little guys!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Sage wrote: »
    I live in Massachusetts. It will be between 0 to 50 degrees. I'll probably drive to a park that will let me run the mile without worrying too much about getting run over. One of my concerns is that I tend to sweet a lot and get hot very quickly, but I'm probably just over thinking this... Thanks for the feedback.

Alex

My suggestion would be to put on some shorts, sneakers, and light shirt. Then start running South by Southwest until you get to Texas.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Good one miles, and by the time I reach texas I'll look like Forrest Gump. My facial hair would have grown way too much by then. :D I spent 80 bucks on some running clothes. I bought windbreakers and clothes that claim they keep you dry. So I'll see how that goes. I'll try running tomorrow and see how bad my cardio is. :D Thanks for the feedback.

Waz if I fall on my ass or notice I'm slipping too much with the shoes I bought I try that link. Thanks.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    if the above was not enough,
    here is a good app to find what kind of gear to wear depending of the temperature and weather..
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html