Belldroid

This is going to be a robot loosely based on the Pok

Replies

• okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far:

bd0.jpg

I'm going to change the gun lights and make the gun connectors more reinforced.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like the idea,keep goin!

Vj
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start!! :D
    ~C
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the legs, changed the light fitting. I think the detail might be too small though.

bd1.jpg

bd2x.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how about:

bevel, uvw map, bake normalmaps, select beveled edges, convert to vertex, remove edges, remove verticies.

your uvw maps will remain unchanged, you won't have any strange artifacts from your normalmap baking, and your polycount will be nice and low.

i'm sure there's a faster way, but i don't do much hard surface stuff, sorry =/
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an interesting idea almighty_gir, I might try it.

Here's the low and high poly. I'd really like to know if things look right and if anything needs changing before I proceed. I've yet to deal with the 90 degree edges though... after reading a lot about this, I was thinking of bevelling the ones that will be within UV islands and using smoothing groups on ones at UV seams to keep the vertex count down. The only problem is that Blender (what I am using) doesn't seem to have manually assignable smoothing groups; the only way seems to be to actually split the geometry itself! Would it be okay to do that? I doubt it would :(

bdlowhigh0.jpg
    bdlowhigh1.jpg
    bdlowhigh2.jpg
    bdlowhigh3.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okno: Just bevel it. It'll up the vert-count, but so would using smoothing groups, actually.
    If you bevel all those 90 degree corners, it'll look much better!
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay MightyPea, I've bevelled them... but the polycount has almost doubled from 1,810 to 3,218. Also, I'm still getting these visible shading problems, will they matter?:

bdbevelled.jpg
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting to think it's not even worth using a normal map for this kind of model. What do you think? With all those extra bevelled polys, I could just model the details in and have polys to spare! Are there any examples of people using normal maps of these kind of mechanical models?
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went ahead and baked the normal map and it turned out better than I expected (I shouldn't have worried so much). Here are some xNormal screens with an AO map (which needs tweaking because of floating geo in high):

bdnormalsfront.jpg

bdnormalsback.jpg

I'm having a problem with these seams:

bdnormalsseam0.jpg

bdnormalsseam1.jpg

That groin part is mirrored (there were NO overlapping uvs during baking though). I guess that middle seam is due to mirroring. But I can't understand how those other seams occured (btw there is some faceted shading in the AO which I'll fix, just so you don't mistake those for anything else).

Here is the normal:

bdnormals.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see it turned out okay. I don't know about those seams, someone much more knowledgeable will probably come along and help out with those. For starters though, are you sure it's nothing to do with the normals of the model? For instance, could it be that one side of the model has it's edges spinned around? meaning that, instead of [\] you have [/] ?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    okno wrote:
    The only problem is that Blender (what I am using) doesn't seem to have manually assignable smoothing groups; the only way seems to be to actually split the geometry itself!
    Not true. Ever since 2.40 or so, Blender has the EdgeSplit modifier, which makes edges marked as sharp render as hard edges. Edges can be made sharp by selecting them and pressing Ctrl+e -> Mark Sharp. It's a lot like Maya's system, so it has the same functionality as smoothing groups.

Nice model, by the way. It's actually sort of cute, for a cable plug. I recognised it as being like the Wii's immediately :p .
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hehe yeah looks cute. I love the design :D
    I am VERY happy that you beveled the edges like pea suggested, it must have solved all of your lighting/soothing errors which you normal map was going to cause :)
    Also great bake and the preview looks really naughty :)
    Now the only thing thats going to take this model from here _ to here - is the if you work out an excellent specular map . Really hoping you dont take this easy way out form the speculars.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    you dont need to bevl the ring edges around the "head" just pull the small edge loops forward slightly to get rid of the 90 degree angles.

personally i think some of your poly placement could be a little better, for eg

- the knee joints have six sides and the smaller guns have 8 plus interiors?
    - the bevels around the pelvis backbone joint could be acheived by pulling some of the verts out saving polys, you'll be surprised what you can get away with.
    - too many interscting meshes which lead to issues, biggest culprits are the ^^ and the neck head joint, could save polys by making continuous mesh.

great model though
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    I don't treat the USB devices equal after viewing this post! They're dangerous! :D
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MightyPea: I couldn't work out what cause the seams, but I put the groin into a single UV island and now it's fine. The head, spine and groin all have unmirrored uvs, the rest are mirrored. Is mirroring uvs okay with normal maps?

@comradeJ: Thanks for that tip!

@Butt: Thanks. I've posted an early wip of the texture below. The colours will be different, and I haven't done the grime yet, but I'd like to know whether the paint-on-metal effect is okay or not. I don't know how to make it visible from a distance without over-doing it.

@SHEPEIRO: Thanks for the advice. I took out those edge loops around the head after doing some little tests. They looked surprisingly fine even at 90 degrees but I pushed the edges to get a small angle like you said, just to be sure. I got rid of most of the intersecting meshes, took out the interior of the guns, made the knee joints 8 sided. Your suggestion for the pelvis backbone was excellent! I'll post some pics of these improvements soon.

@jogshy: lol. By the way, can xNormal's ray-tracer do things which high-end graphics cards can't do? I have an old GeForce FX Go5600 and the only way I can get effects like shadow casting is to use xNormal's raytracer (like at the bottom of the image below). I wondered whether it would be a legitimate way to make renders to put in a portfolio.

texturewip0.jpg
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just done the main painted areas. Still have to do the exposed metal parts (groin, gun barrels etc.) and other details like dirt, decals etc. I'll probably finish this in the next few days before Christmas.

texturewip1.jpg
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    okno wrote: »
    @jogshy: have an old GeForce FX Go5600 and the only way I can get effects like shadow casting is to use xNormal's raytracer (like at the bottom of the image below).
    I'm not sure but perhaps the GeForceFX supports OpenGL's shading language(GLSL). Perhaps you can try to change the xNormal's default graphics driver to OpenGL ( instead of DX9 ) and you'll get shadows... but perhaps it's a tool old card so GLSL could be not supported. In fact, my FX5200 does not suport it ... I'm not sure about the 5600.
    I wondered whether it would be a legitimate way to make renders to put in a portfolio.
    Well, the realtime raytracing graphics driver can perform soft shadows and faked photon mapping, but probably it's too slow to navigate well the scene unless you have a quad core. Try to tweak a bit the options using the plugin-manager.... but, to be sincere, it was more an experiment than a useful thing.

Btw, for xn4 I'm writting a generic renderer... so you'll be able to render an image placing a standard camera ( not only render-to-texture using UVs ).
    It will use bidirectional path tracing, metropolis transport, photon mapping and spectral rendering with custom node-shaders.... but it's still very far in the time.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, I don't seem to have glsl support... so I used someone else's computer and took some sreenshots in Blender's Game Engine (with a bloom script). I only had about 30 minutes to set things up and I think I might've set the spec slightly wrong (well, it look quite different from xNormal's view). Not sure if the 3 light set up looks good or not.

Anyway... I would love some input on how to make it look better.

Blender Game Engine:
    blenderview1.jpg

Diffuse
    bddiffusebig.jpg

Spec
    bdspecbig.jpg

Normal
    bdnormalbig.jpg

Glow
    bdglow.jpg

xNormal view:
    xnormalview.jpg