Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

flash 3d viewer with 63.072 tris.

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
renderhjs sublime tool
this time not my engine but my model and texture (63072 triangles)
http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashkit/sophie3d/

v2_experiment_04.jpgv2_experiment_05.jpg
(screenshots from the flash engine)

http://www.sophie3d.com/website/index_en.php
Sophie 3D Engine enables you to supply fast renders at a high quality.
Sophie 3D can antialias render in realtime over 50.000 polygons with texture maps, reflection maps, transparent materials, an infinite number of lights and shadow planes.
though even I have to say that this text is very unclear and sounds more like a marketing construct.
From how I see it:
- can display huge poly- chunks
- smoothing groups
- phong shading
- transparency materials
- reads OBJ and MAT (material) files
- smal file size, yet bloaty OBJ files to load
- OBJ can be compressed with a custom binary format (saves sometimes up to 70% [says the text on the website] )
- yet very tricky to get your model running the way you want

its still a bit tricky to get your models out of 3dsmax for example as the OBJ material files are a bit messy from 3dsmax (I could not get difuse bitmaps in the material definition)- but if you copy paste from the provided exmples it should be working.

to get started
- install / get Flash player 10 (needed for converting to zObj format)
- download the flash movie and examples@
http://www.sophie3d.com/website/index_en.php?page=5e221r9v
- export your object as OBJ with triangles, UV map, 6 digits, material definitions so that in the end you have a OBJ and MAT file.
note that the author expects you to work in meters (whatever that means from application to application) - if you set your units to generic it means that you have to use tiny tiny objects (0.15 scale or so). Test things out- its sad but it really want to see tiny values in the coorinates.
for example in my OBJ file some of the vertex coordinates read as
[php]v -0.034611 1.438375 0.574778
v -0.044666 1.396449 0.551706
v -0.034116 1.390862 0.555080
v -0.046789 1.367191 0.554652[/php]
so the object should be fairly smal

- edit the HTML file
in the part..
[php]
<script language="javascript">
if (AC_FL_RunContent == 0) {
alert("This page requires AC_RunActiveContent.js.");
} else {
AC_FL_RunContent(
'codebase', 'http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0',
'width', '500',
'height', '700',
'src', 'Sophie3D_Player',
'quality', 'high',
'pluginspage', 'http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer',
'align', 'middle',
'play', 'false',
'loop', 'false',
'scale', 'showall',
'wmode', 'window',
'devicefont', 'false',
'id', 'Sophie3D_Player',
'bgcolor', '#41382e',
'name', 'Sophie3D_Player',
'menu', 'true',
'allowFullScreen', 'true',
'allowScriptAccess','sameDomain',
'movie', 'Sophie3D_Player',
'salign', '',
// Define The Sophie 3D Player vars here ( the url, the scale and the background color )
'FlashVars','sceneUrl=fisher/fisher.obj&sceneScale=0.5&backgroundColor=0x41382e&antialiasingMode=0'
);
}
[/php]
where it says
[php],'sceneUrl=fisher/fisher.obj&sceneScale=0.5&backgroundColor=0x41382e&antialiasingMode=0'[/php] change the scene to your folder/OBJ file
(material should be in the same folder)

and if you are lucky it should work somehow.

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    This player is very robust in terms of its feature set. It's impressive that he's implemented anti-aliasing. That's not a feature you normally see in 3D Flash apps. On the other hand, it seems a bit difficult to get your models into the player. I do like how he adds a lot of the players options into the right-click menu. That's a really good idea.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I dont like the context menu- its bloated and a mess imo. 3 options should be enough:
    - wire/normal
    - anti-/aliasing
    - cycle top/front/left

imo. what the developer should focus on are tools to simplify and automate the export the model and the material. A inspector for the materials (with preview) would also be nice or a preset tool that lets you select various materials and lets you configure them e.g difuse map, reflection map, shading settings,...
    Well it seems to be a early development anyway so more hopefully to come
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    AWESOME

well it sorta works for me but im probably exporting something wrong

http://racer445.com/3d_test/sofa_1.html
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    perhaps nGons? - did you checked triangle export instead of quads
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    No ngons, and it is set to triangles.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow Im interested. I might have a go at this later, my work does a bit of flash so I might find some use for this.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    I know a guy who is trying to develop a 3d flash engine and he won't be able to sleep after seeing this.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    arrgh I cant get this thing to accept obj files exported from cinema4d, maybe it only accepts objs from maya/max or rhino?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    seems that Cinema 4d has yet another OBJ definition (maybe some tabs, double spaces, double returns,..). It first failed at my tests with Silo and 3dsmax until the developer fixed it for me- now another format bug.
    Well its still a early public release so there is a good chance that it will be soon fixed for cinema.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 15
    Wow, been looking for a viewer like this, might make it easier to have a better portfolio if i can show off my stuff in 3d like that instead of just images, will be keeping my eye on this for when i get my new computer set up.
  • Sophie3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From Sophie3D support:

Glad you are interested in our 3D flash player - and sorry to hear that some of you are having problems with Cinema4D.

We tested the program out on Rhino v4 and released an update for 3DsMax after some constructive comments from renderhjs. We haven't tried Cinema4D but it does not export to OBJ in a way that can be read well by Sophie3D. There are some 3rd party plug-ins for C4D that - should - resolve this export to OBJ problem see: http://skinprops.com/riptide.php

We look forward to you questions and successes - happy publishing
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    renderhjs wrote: »

its still a bit tricky to get your models out of 3dsmax for example as the OBJ material files are a bit messy from 3dsmax (I could not get difuse bitmaps in the material definition)- but if you copy paste from the provided exmples it should be working.

Ive been trying to get this to work and I have done basically using dreamweaver, only think is, Im using max and cannot get the god damn diffuse to come out. Every time I export its just grey. I bring the mtl file I exported back into max and its grey. Can you elaborate on what you mean by copy paste from the example? I brought the example mtl file into max and pasted my diffuse in place of the the sofa_1 diff map, but them im stuck with the same crappy grey export... :(

Any help would be really great!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, works really fast. Very impressive :)
  • Sophie3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From Sophie3D support:

Microneezia - We have been trying out the Max2Obj exporter in Max and hope to put up a tutorial on it soon but in the meantime we hope this helps you.

In Max, in the OBJ exporter make sure you select "Object/Use materials/Create material library". This will open the second window and select "Scene materials/Export maps" This should create both the OBJ and MTL files. The MTL file will have a list of the objects and the defined material for that object. For example in the "sofa_1" example dowloaded with Sophie3D in the file's model folder there is the file Sofa_1.mtl . Open that file in a text editor and in the second paragraph you can see:

newmtl tessuto
    Ka 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
    Kd 0.9373 0.9373 0.9373
    Ks 1.0000 1.0000 1.0000
    Tf 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
    d 1.0000
    Ns 0
    map_Kd texture.jpg

After "map_Kd" is the name of the file used in the 3D program, in this case the image "texture.jpg". You can find the image "texture.jpg" in the same folder as the OBJ and MTL files.

N.B.
    - if you rename or put the image file in a different folder you will not see your model (You can see if the model is there by right clicking in your web browser and selecting "Wireframe")
    - You can change the displayed texture by putting a new image in the model file and giving it the name of the original texture (in this case "texture.jpg")
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Sophie3D wrote: »
    From Sophie3D support:

Glad you are interested in our 3D flash player - and sorry to hear that some of you are having problems with Cinema4D.

We tested the program out on Rhino v4 and released an update for 3DsMax after some constructive comments from renderhjs. We haven't tried Cinema4D but it does not export to OBJ in a way that can be read well by Sophie3D. There are some 3rd party plug-ins for C4D that - should - resolve this export to OBJ problem see: http://skinprops.com/riptide.php

We look forward to you questions and successes - happy publishing

I actually tried using the C4D riptide plugin with sophie3D as I always find riptide more reliable for obj exports from c4d. It always just came up with a blank screen so I just assumed its not loading the model.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool. I can see it becoming an awesome way to display one's work online, should it ever support shaders and animation. It's pretty awesome for showing off diffuse texture work and wireframes as-is, but game-ish rendering stuff is always my dream.
  • Sophie3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged

Have you checked by viewing your model in wireframe in the web browser? The most frequent problems are with scaling the model and textures. By switching to wireframe (and maybe zooming out) you can often see what needs to be done.

Vrav - Thanks for the compliments.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    renderhjs - whats with your wireframes on that model? did you just polycrunch a highpoly or what? that looks like it was a pain to unwrap, or did the exporter do that?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Cody: uvLayout on the base, 4x subdevision AO map + Cavity map (polyboost) as dirt layer - colors are plain even though the UV is complete and propper.

Regarding polygons: its a 1x subdevision (ala turbo smooth in 3dsmax),- for movie shots we used 2x subdevisions.
    Will post another test as soon as I find some spare time