Home General Discussion

RIP Michael Crichton

peppi
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
peppi polycounter lvl 18
This comes as a bit of a surprise. Michael Crichton has died of cancer aged 66.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7711763.stm

Of all his novels, JP in particular has been an enormous source of inspiration for me since I first read it. It's still among my favourite books that I read (or listen to) every other year.

Rest in peace.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Holy shit.. RIP man. Jurassic Park is one of my all time favourite movies and its what got me in to reading at a young age - I read the book the week after I saw the movie. I can still remember being frightened when using the bathroom at the movie theater at the thought of a dinosaur bursting through the door and eating me white I shat (I was young, fuck off).

When I went to Mexico this year I read Next and when I returned read up on Genealogy and laws. Even though he wrote fiction, it certainly peaked my interest in subject matter I'd normally ignore.

Damn. Yesterday was such a good day, but now today feels a little grim.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah saw this on my lunch. Wow.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Wow this has been a tragic year for artistic folks. I loved his books, I read Jurassic Park when I was in fourth grade and its one of the few books I've read that realllllly stood out. RIP mike!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    You know I did like his books.

Sucky.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I loved reading Timeline back in the day, it was my favorite book for awhile although it made quite a shit movie
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    wow RIP

He was definitely one of the first authors that got my interest. I probably have 10 of his books on my shelf from when I was a kid. I still haven't read many of his blockbusters.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Jurassic Park was the shit. I've read a bunch of his other stuff, but JP has been a huge influence on me. I've contemplated getting the Jp logo tattooed onto my thigh, just like the toys.

Sucks to see him go so young.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, RIP. I remember reading Sphere shortly before Independance Day came out and their discussions in the book about possible alien life forms really put a dampner on that movie (and pretty much every other movie involving aliens since). That boolkreally opened up new ideas to me. Big shock hearing about this today :(
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    He had a lot of great ideas, and will be sadly missed. Time to re-read the novels methinks.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    jurassic park and congo, were the two books i studied for my GCSE english (by choice). and they STILL stand out as amazing, in my collection.

RIP michael.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    surprised no-one's mentioned Westworld. Never been a fan of his writing, but his films were ones ithat stick in my mind from being a kid. Coma, too, that was properly tense.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    oh shitty. I loved his books, jp, sphere, congo etc tons of memories from grade school when i was reading like a madman. RIP dude.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I hope somebody saved some of his blood so we can clone him someday.
    JP FTW, one of the first big novels I ever read.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Holy Shit!!! This is a huge surprise to me. I thought people like him were Gods. That totally Sux. Rest in Peace Michael Crichton, you will be remembered.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    This is very strange. Only a couple days ago I started and finished reading The Lost World. I didn't like it. I'm sure Jurassic Park is better...but I've seen the movie too many times.

The strange part is, I rarely read any books. But I had the urge to read one of his. Sad to see him go.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    Wow this has been a tragic year for artistic folks.
    Tell me about it!
    I can't say I've been all that familiar with his books, though after Jurassic Park came out my Primary School had this book club thing and I ordered the book, but it turned out to be the movie adaption which annoyed me. My Library teacher brought in his copy, so I stole it. I still have the book.
    I might have to pick up a few of his other books based on what a few others above have mentioned.

-caseyjones
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    fak
    Loved some of his books. Such a loss. :(
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Terrible. Loved his books. Left his mark as a great author.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I wonder if they will take his dna and put it into a piece of amber just like the dino dna to preserve it for years so we can then harvest it and create our own clone to write us more amazing books?

No?

Seriously. This guys writing was awesome and he will be sadly missed. Came as a huge shock as he kept his cancer a secret. Sad. 66 doesn't really seem that old to me. Also I didn't know but he was like 6'9" tall guy.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    This is very strange. Only a couple days ago I started and finished reading The Lost World. I didn't like it. I'm sure Jurassic Park is better...but I've seen the movie too many times.

The strange part is, I rarely read any books. But I had the urge to read one of his. Sad to see him go.

you won't be disappointed by jurassic park. he only wrote the lost world because they asked him to write a book to go with the film. but to be honest, when you read the first book, you'll realise all three films were made from the one book, sans the rediculosaurus in movie 3.

baby raptor acting like a parrot sitting on the kids shoulder is awesome
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I still remember the first time I read Andromeda Strain. A very good science fiction author. One of my favorites from my youth. Jurassic Park was of course significant for me, I've read it through five times. I was also very fond of Congo and Sphere. Their Hollywood equivalents were lack-luster, but the original novels were fantastic. Congo was one of the first books that actually succeeded in scaring me.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    All I gotta say is :( and :angel:
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Jurassic Park was awesome. And I also think the Andromeda Strain is a classic. But I wasn't a big fan of most of his other stuff. However his death is still very surprising, sudden and tragic. RIP