Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]Slave_zero / Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

I have setup this portfolio a few weeks ago. At that time I was very short on time and needed to set it up quickly. In result it lacks of some structure and organisation. I'll now rearrange the blog and want to get some hints how to make the best out of it.

Although I'm aiming for environment art there are several other projects on the blog which are not that close to ingame Environment Art. I want those projects to be in the blog, because they maybe show the dedication I have for the whole CG-topic

My goal is to on the one hand have nice and fast access to the pieces of work and additionally having enough structure that you can see which work realtes to which projects.
To brush things up I'll soon do some more Environment-Assets

Feel free to crit and comment on every aspect.

http://aaarts.wordpress.com/

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work man... I would put everything on the front page...dont make anyone click anything to get to your work...good luck
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I would rename "private stuff" to "personal work" :)

Also you could probably remove some of your concepts. The first ones are very good while the later ones aren't as good imo. especially since you say you are aiming for environment art I don't think those characters have much to do there.

I like your actual game assets.

Maybe you should put your best work on the front page.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Very nice work man. I dig your work a lot, especially the Die Gilde 2 stuff. Its always nice seeing assets inside an actual engine.

You definitely wanna put samples of your work on the front page as stated before. Also maybe showing some wires if possible.

Keep it up!
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THanks for the response guys.

I already changed "private stuff" to "personal work". I didn't notice in the first place that it might sound a bit ... what ever.

On weekend I'll rearrange all the stuff. I hope the first page doesn't get to overloaded, but we'll see.

To the concepts: Yeah the drawings at the bottom of the page aren't supposed to be in the portfolio. I put them there because a company asked for further pieces and at that moment the older drwaings were all I was able to show in addition. But you're right they don't fit in the portfolio.

Thanks so far. There will be updates soon.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there. Finally I've rearranged the pages on my blog. I got rid of the old drawings and I think every thing looks a bit more organized.

I hope that the links to the detailed sub-pages are not too small or what ever.

In the next weeks I'll add 2 new projects to the site:
    • A scifi-interceptor I'm currently working on
    • A building from the campus here in Dresden (not yet started)
    I'm asking myself if the whole thing is lacking som organic things like plants and stuff. But there maybe something comming up as well from that direction.

here is the link again:
    http://aaarts.wordpress.com/
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    would just like to chime in say your work on Die Gilde II is awesome!
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi folks,

just a slight update on my portfolio site:

Added some pictures to the first page which relate to some cg-movies I worked on. Tracing the visits on the blog I had the feeling that most visitors only watch the first or maybe a second page.

Introduced an area for my current WIP-project: An homeworld 2 based interceptor.

Slight overhaul of the resume-page. I wonder if it's better to make the resume aditionally available by download a pdf-file. What do you think?

Any suggestions to improve the site or the work is highly appreciated.

Personal-Update:

I'm still seeking for employment. The first round of applications wasn't that successfull up to now.
    As my Diploma-Thesis is about to get finished in two weeks there is much work which keeps me from working on portfolio pieces. :(
    So at the moment I'm aiming fpr January to complete some more portfolio work and try a second round of applications.

[EDIT]: Just inserted my showreel-video. I'm not sure if it improves the whole portfolio, as there are only pieces included which are on the site anyway. Just let me know what you think.

Greetings
  • Nate3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate3d polycounter lvl 10
    Hey cool stuff man! Don't get too discouraged, sometimes it takes a while for studios to process applications.

I like the addition of the demo reel. The reel itself seems a little slow-paced though. I think you should show the ship or buildings from Die Glide II first to really grab the viewer's attention. It's nice to see a model go from concept to mesh to textured, but I wouldn't start the reel off with that.

Your head sculpts are definitely the weakest. they seem a little too lumpy and low-rez. Try working out the anatomy of the eyes and ears a little more. Give them some more love and I'm sure they'll turn out great.

Your painterly/cartoony style is very appealing. Good work!
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.
    I agree with you, I should rework the order of the reel. Maybe starting with a pencil drawn concept isn't the very best idea, as i'm mainly aiming at an environment-position. I'll change this as soon as possible.

To the Sculpts: Yeah, I know they are the weakest part, as I didn't practice in this field so muich up to now. I put them in because I wanted to show that at least I have some basic abilitys in sculpting. In the first place I was happy with the sculpts as they are one of the first sculpting attempts, but I know they absolutely don't keep up with industry standards.
    Question is: Shall I rather take them out until I have some better pieces (rworked the old ones)?
    I mean, would those sculpts at least show, that I'm on my way to get into sculpting or are they just weakening the whole reel/site?