Home Technical Talk

MaxScript - Curve Editor Tools [lots of gifs]

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
monster polycounter
Opening Max 2009 and seeing mostly the same curve editor tools since Max 8 (which I've been using up until now) got me to give it a much needed update. Unzip this to the Max directory with folder names enabled. Look in the monsterBlues category. (Works best as a tool bar for the curve editor and then save the curve editor layout.)

Download Script

I put together some animated gif of what the buttons do...
keytools.jpg

Grow and Shrink key selection.
GrowShrinkSelection.gif

Extend Selection: Selects all keys on selected curves.
ExtendSelection.gif

StepSelection: Selects the next or previous keys.
StepSelectionLeftandRight.gif

Flatten: Selected keys get same value as first selected key.
CTRL pressed averages all the keys.
SHFT pressed give all the value of the last key.
Flatten.gif

Loop: Mirrors the last keys key's tangent to the first keys. (By anim range)
LoopTangent.gif

Break Down: Move the keys 10% closer to the next or previous key.
BreadDowntoNextKey.gif
BreadDowntoPrevKey.gif

Build Tangents: Exagerates or subdues the tangents.
BuildTangentUpandDown.gif

Flow: Mirrors the tangents of the selected keys to the previous and next keys.
FlowTangent.gif

Isolate: Removes unselected curves from the view.
IsolateSelectedCurves.gif

Nudge: Moves keys to forward or back. Use CTRL, and SHFT as modifiers.
NudgeLeftandRight.gif

SnapScale: Moves the scale origin to the first selected key.
SnapScaleOrigintoSelectedKey.gif

Split: Duplicates a keys and made the time between them linear.
SplitKey.gif

There is also a SpaceEvenly and SpaceToInterval tool.

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! I'll send it around the animation team tomorrow and maybe start using it.

Can I make a suggestion for a future release- try to aim at minimal code duplication and better organization. I tend not to install code that I don't feel comfortable editing, and editing similar/same code over 20 macros is not something I feel comfortable doing. This is something I see in countless scripts from most maxscripters... much worse are people that put up scripts using globals with common names, so kudos on avoiding that. For most individuals stuff like this probably doesn't matter, but for larger distribution it usually does. I only bring this up because these are some very nice tools and the Curve Editor in Max is badly in need of them; and the Curve Editor is a tough nut to crack because it likes to do things its own way, so oftentimes animators are left high and dry for curve editor tools. And I'd like to see quality stuff like this distributed far and wide.

EDIT: Also, do you have a license you're releasing this under?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff, Juan! I've been using the Maya curve editor lately and have definitely been thinking Max's could do with some tweaks :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    niiiiiice. Now do some voodoo magic so that biped can use the curve editor ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work! Thanks for sharing these!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woa... that looks amazingly awesome and handy! I'll them a spin as soon as I get to work!
    niiiiiice. Now do some voodoo magic so that biped can use the curve editor ;)
    Done and done. Biped has work bench, and you can switch your biped back and forth from Quaternion to Euler and back again (except for hands and feet which need quaternion for planted keys) so you can adjust the keys in/out tension like a normal biped object (right click any key in work bench) or use standard curves. You can set the hands and feet to follow non renderable objects and then use the normal curve editor (if you don't use planted keys) and really miss the curve editor that much.

It would be awesome to see these ported over to the biped work bench...
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Thanks guys. The animators here at Ensmble have been using these tools for a couple of monthes. The ones I use the most happen to be SnapScale, Nudge, and Loop.

Rob G.,

Thanks for the insight. This is the first time I've released a tool set. Normally I just create batch tools and export interface tools, and those types of tools normally don't repeat as much. I don't have a license for this script, people should feel free to alter and share it as they please. If you have any specific issues of something I could do better I'd appreciate any further advice.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I've been using it for a few hours, and I really like isolate and step selection. Aweomse stuff! Thanks a bunch!

How did you get them added into the curve editor? I had to make a new floating toolbar and add them to it Kind of a drag to launch a separate tool bar and position it every time I want to use the curve editor.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out... just drag and drop into the curve editor.
    EDIT EDIT: And don't forget to right click one of the toolbars and "Save Layout" otherwise it won't be there the next time you open...
  • Emericanized
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emericanized polycounter lvl 11
    Hey there, this has been quite useful for our animators.

I've started getting a Macro script error exception though.... :
    " unknown property: "supportsKeys" in $ <root> " in "Martinez_Macro_KeyBreakdown.mcr"

I am animating point helpers in max 2009, if that makes a difference! Any thoughts as to what would cause that? (I know, i know, I'm late to the party on this one!)