Home General Discussion

Should I buy Fallout3 or FarCry2

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
And maybe a reason or two why? I'll probably get them both eventually, but one for now.

Replies

• Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    well played sir, but i have a PC and no consoles, so i have to wait past November for that.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Both games don't look too exciting IMO.

Grab Far Cry 2 and support Cryptic because Cryptic Studios isn't some weak shit like Bethesda releasing the same pile of crap every other year.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Zephir62 wrote: »
    Both games don't look too exciting IMO.

Grab Far Cry 2 and support Cryptic because Cryptic Studios isn't some weak shit like Bethesda releasing the same pile of crap every other year.

Do you mean ubisoft? do you act like an idiot on purpose?
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, Crytek.

Edit: Figured you meant more than that, so I did a quick check and yeah Ubisoft developed it this time instead of just publishing. My bad. Oh and try being a little more witty next time with the insults, will ya - maybe you'd look a little more creative to make up for the lack in your art.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Oops, Crytek.

Edit: Figured you meant more than that, so I did a quick check and yeah Ubisoft developed it this time instead of just publishing. Try being a little more witty next time with the insults, will ya - maybe you'd look a little more creative to make up for the lack in your art.
    hey now, settle down kids
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations Zephir62, you just got an infraction for your troubles! Temporary ban if you keep it up... there's no need for that.

Anyway, back on topic - Fallout 3 would be my recommendation.
    I haven't played Far Cry 2 yet, but I have watched my flatmate play it, and it seemed very repetetive and not very compelling. The story in Fallout 3 has grabbed me much better than that.

Also the Collectors Edition has a cool little art book and bobblehead figure, which I think was well worth it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It's a toughie. I'm getting LBP and Gears2 over the next week. I was going to buy Fable 2, Farcry 2 and Fallout 3, but buying 5 games in a month won't happen. I reckon I'll pick up Farcry 2, then grab Fable and Fallout closer to Xmas.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are pretty loyal to your brands, eh. Sad.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir, what's your issue here?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the guy is an idiot , thats the issue with idiots rick ;)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I caved in and bought Far Cry 2. Brand Loyalty (never played the first one).
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmm, I'd go for far cry 2 only because fallout 3 looks so much like oblivion which I never really enjoyed.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i gotta say ive been loving far cry.. maybe it looks repetative but as someone mentioned, it changes a lot when you start buying more weapons and using different tactics. I've got fallout downloading but I'll finish far cry before I get on it. very nice game, reminds me of the good ol days playing delta force 2, sneaking around and launching surprise attacks
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    well, i just picked up fallout 3 and it seems pretty good so far. they did some interesting things that have managed to keep my attention.. although i've already run into a series of bugs. personally, free-motivation games generally don't do it for me.. i haven't played f.c.2, but it doesn't really interest me all that much. i guess it depends what you're into.

does F.C.2 have much story at all? personally that's what I'm interested in. shooting fellows.... not so much.

and how come nobody's jumping down SupRore's thoat for stirring the shit? seriously, how was Zephir supposed to respond to that? zephir -- if you keep fighting for respect, you'll never get it. respect yourself enough to be kind.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Far Cry 2 & Fallout 3, I own them both...

-FC2, awesome fun shooter. Lots of traveling. Repetitive bits, but which games don't have that?

-FO3, awesome fun RPG. Lots of traveling. Missions are cool, artwork is great. I've played more of this than I have of FC2 lately, but I am about to load up FC2 again.

Zephir62, listen to MoP.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    if you want an FPS get Farcry...if you want an RPG ...get fallout......Fallout probly has loads more replay value..lot s of different kinds of gameplay
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Which game has the greatest selection of beards?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    does F.C.2 have much story at all? personally that's what I'm interested in. shooting fellows.... not so much.

why the hell are you playing games? go watch a movie, plenty of good stories there.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    farcry2 gets frustrating cause traveling in that game is like traveling in real life :P
    i usually do one mission every play through and then turn it off.
    if i were you id hold out and wait for gears2, mirrors edge, or even left 4 dead :)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There are too many games, but if you opt for these two, i would buy Fallout 3. Farcry being a repetitive shooter... will give you less hours of playing than Fallout.

When i buy a game i always care about play time, or coopertative play. I bought gears of wars (PC) for its cooperative mode (a very short game but very funny to play with ppl).

With all this, is up to you to decide :).
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Tomorrows Poll: Should I wear my blue or green t-shirt? YOU DECIDE.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Super wrote: »
    Tomorrows Poll: Should I wear my blue or green t-shirt? YOU DECIDE.

haha exactly! One's a shooter, with minor RPG elements, and ones an RPG with minor shooter elements. So really, go with the one of the genre you favor more!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    bugo wrote: »
    DeadSpace

If it were up to me, that's definately what he'd be buying :)

I'm honestly not sure I'll ever finish FarCry 2... A lot of people like it, apparently, though. Personally regretting the purchase, though.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    they are both pretty dope shiz, but id go for fallout, there is more variety in what you do, plus it just oozes style. both are good though.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i can't stop playing fallout :(
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaagh! I have to buy Deadspace too.

Can I get away with not getting Xmas presents for the family this year?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Rick, just tell them that you're saving them the hassle of buying YOU presents, since you're getting your own!

I've been playing Far Cry 2 like crazy, and love it. They've put a lot of little, detaily stuff in that most companies wouldn't have bothered with. All the little stuff makes it extra awesome.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are pretty loyal to your brands, eh. Sad.
    So anyone buying a sequel is doing it out of fanboi loyalism?

I'm digging Fallout3 its different and fells more like what oblivion should have been. I'll pick up FarCry2 in a few weeks and enjoy them both, I just can't do it at the same time and get some side projects done...
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    So anyone buying a sequel is doing it out of fanboi loyalism?

Um, no. The fact that I earned an infraction for, essentially, trash-talking Bethesda.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Um, no. The fact that I earned an infraction for, essentially, trash-talking Bethesda.

no, actually it was for bashing Suprors artistic skill... which was pretty uncalled for:
    Edit: Figured you meant more than that, so I did a quick check and yeah Ubisoft developed it this time instead of just publishing. My bad. Oh and try being a little more witty next time with the insults, will ya - maybe you'd look a little more creative to make up for the lack in your art.

good thing this isn't a forum that's frequented by representatives from pretty much every company out there, you wouldn't want to garner a bad rep for yourself... oh wait
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17

I like how you think Bethesda is horrible and anyone who likes their games is a mindless fanboy, or at least if we choose their RPG over a shooter, which btw Far Cry 2 is averaging reviews 10% lower than Fallout 3. Damn, a company that sticks to a formula they have made very successful? Shame on Bethesda! Then again, what is the internet for besides to hate on great games and the companies that make them?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i've played both now, and love both.. im taking a break from far cry to play fallout though. far crys missions are pretty much just a reason to go fight, so theres no problem leaving and coming back. RPGs are a bit harder to do that with so I'm sticking it out with fallout.

I'm actually glad its smaller than oblivion, i easily logged over 100 hours and never finished the bleeding thing
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, actually it was for bashing Suprors artistic skill... which was pretty uncalled for:
    Being called an idiot was called for, for just mistaking the developer of Farcry 2, even though it wasn't the focus of my argument?

Oh and:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=55468&page=4

If that's really the case, I'm not the only one who should be receiving an infraction.
    good thing this isn't a forum that's frequented by representatives from pretty much every company out there, you wouldn't want to garner a bad rep for yourself... oh wait

I don't care. I have a nice job in the industry where I can't be fired. Suck it up, not like you guys even know who I am or where I work. You don't even have access to my portfolio.

ebagg, Bethesda has been making the same design mistakes ever since Morrowind. A company that doesn't learn only slowly sinks when newer generations start to pass them. They made great games. Yeah. 10 years ago. They're just trying to soak up as much money as they can before someone else trumps them.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    someone ban this guy already.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Zephir62: You mean this job and this portfolio? Zephir62... sorry, I mean Matt Olick, enjoy your 5 day break and come back willing to be constructive and helpful.

EDIT: Matt, forget the 5-day-ban bullshit. For taunting me through Private Messages you're gone for good. Peace out.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cody - sorry holmes! We'll get this thread right back on track.

I own both games, and found I want to play more of FC3. The reason being its super easy to load and get in to fights with. FO3 has me running and stressing over details where as FC2 has be running around and worrying about how I want to kill the next enemy I face.

Don't get me wrong, both are great. I suppose it depends on what you're after: A shooter or an RPG.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they both scratch different itches... like its been said previously it really depends on what mood your in. =/
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure which I like more - playing FO3 or watching the Brominator lay the smack down :D

I have to say that I am completely and totally hooked on FO3. In a strange way, it's almost relaxing - wandering the environment however I like and just soaking in the atmosphere. I can't say FO3 is better or worse than FO1 and 2; it's different. And it's probably the most engaging and convincing game environment I've ever played in.

FC2 looks sweet, but I'm always on the verge of shooter overload this time of year - GoW2 is this week, Call of Duty 5 is next week, Left 4 Dead the week after, etc. FO3 has some of that vibe (you can play it FPS style if you really want), but it's also bringing a lot more to the table that regular shooters don't. I'm glad to have something different to sandwich in around all of the other straight-up FPS games.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    I think i will buy FO3. I like the bethesda games. all the characters, secrets, factions, environments etc. i have see FC2 by a friend. looks cool but i like rpg more. hmm or i buy sacred 2. i could cry that i cant get gears2 for pc :(
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    MoP wrote: »
    Oh snap.

Oh snap, indeed! Haha, damn, a lot happened in this thread today!

I play FPS alot [tf2,cs,bioshock,ut3] so I'm pretty loyal to those games, and tempted to get farCry2 because of this... however I can honestly say I've never played a RPG for more than an hour, so I think I'll try it out. Plus, I lived in D.C. for 10 years, so maybe I can find my house, haha. Never played any Bethesda games or FarCry1. Incidentally, Target is selling FO3 for 39.99 right now, so choice made! Fallout3 it is! zomg! :poly142:

Thanks for all the input guys! Now, Target is also selling Wii and Xbox 360 boxer shorts, which one should I get? Haha just kidding. Peace!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Having worked on FarCry 2, and having extensively played Fallout 3.

I'd highly recommend getting Fallout 3.

:D
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Oh man this thread got comical for a while. At least he's gone now. Thank you Adam.

So anyways...

Fallout 3. I'm having a blast. I'll be picking up Far Cry 2 later but right now I am loaded down with Fable 2, Rock Band 2, Gears 2, Resistence 2, Fallout 3 and the other games to come soon.

Either game you pick up should be a lot of fun. :)