Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barbarian WIP

hi all!

Got a lot of good feedback last time on my Roman Soldier. So here's my next self improvement WIP.

I'm using 3DS Max 2009. Currently the model is at 4543 triangles. Which of course is way way too much. I am going to try and get it down to about 3K triangles.

I'm planning on doing a texture map and rigging.

Crits Welcome!

barbarin_wip01.jpg
barbarin_wip02.jpg

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Head looks way too small
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    When I hear barbarian I think of big bulky guys with low tech stuffs. This guy looks like some soldier in some army with uniforms and stuff. Doesn't feel very barbarian to me unless he stole the outfit from some poor soldier.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    arnt barbarians supposed to be savages ... i mean this guy looks like he is wearing a tailored uniform ?!
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    there have been plenty of times when conan wore a uniform

its a good start
    the helmet looks to big, and your torso seems a little long
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man its a good start and its very clean which should make fixing it a good bit easier, his torso needs to get shorter and his head needs to get bigger also if your gonna be animating this guy watch those edgeloops, the hands and eyes look good but the mouth area and the knees could be worked on a bit also depending on how you texture this it could work out well, he kind of has Roman/Ottoman armor forms to him atm, make sure if you incorporate more uniformed armor you make it contrast his furs, or muddy stuff so that it looks like he took it off some defeated opponent. as for the bulky thing thats become a cliche so don't worry about it too much as long as he looks fierce and muddled it can still work fine. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

-Woog
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys!

Thanks for the feedback. It's always a pleasure.

I should have been more specific I guess. I'm making a Gaullic warrior to fight my Roman that I made in another thread.

I'm working from what references I could find in books, online, and my imagination to fill in the gaps. I'm not really going for the typical fantasy barbarian, but there is certainly some influence in that on the details.

Below are my screens. I'm planning to ding and dent his stuff up a lot more. I took off the shoulder pads and cloak to make him more nimble looking.

barbarin_wip01-1.jpg

barbarin_wip02-1.jpg

barbarin_wip03.jpg

barbarin_wip04.jpg
  • dolemite
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, problem posting.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good. I like the design more than the roman
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress. The texture is 2048X right now. I think I'll scale it down to 1024X for the final.

barbarin_wip01-2.jpg
    barbarin_wip02-2.jpg
    barbarin_wip03-1.jpg
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, but something about his shoulder to his neck seems...kinda odd, idk maybe its just me, seems kinda to...flat
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barbarin_wip01-3.jpg
    barbarin_wip02-3.jpg
    barbarin_wip03-2.jpg

so I've been working on it a little. I realized that his elbows in texture don't quite agree with his elbows in model. So I'm going to work on that. Also, I'm not really happy with the blade texture on the sword. I will need to work to add that sharp edge kind of effect.

I also want to add more messiness and straps and patches and things.

bla.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the face looks vey flat, and featureless.

that's caused by both the model and the texure. the model itself has no depth, but looking at the position/amount of polies, i guess that's acceptable. the texture though, is very monotone, which is probably a result of going grayscale first. you need to add some colour in there, because right now all i see is mauve. add some red to the cheeks, some blues under the eyes, darker shading into the eye cavities etc.

bringing him to life isn't just done with the pose, it's done with the whole piece.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the way his helmet sits makes it look like's he's got a big alien head under it. I also think his head is a little large overal. Here's a ref image I found on the first page of a google image search for "barbarian helmet"

helmetref.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barbarin_wip03-3.jpg
    barbarin_wip01-4.jpg
    barbarin_wip02-4.jpg

hey thanks for the feedback. keep em coming! :)

I didn't get to work on the sword, unfortunately. I added some overlay layers and painted it up a bit. I tried to add some shadows and highlights to pop things a little.

again, thanks!