Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chell's Legend Menu map

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
I decided to put together a small video showing off the process of how I created my menu map for Chell's Legend (portal mod I'm working on). The video shows the process going from dev stages to final art and scripting. I had a lot of fun working on this map and I'm glad I can share the experience with you ^^

chells_legend_mainscreen0104.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkJN2isCTx8[/ame]

Higher quality video dl here :
http://rapidshare.com/files/151315033/chells_legend_menu.avi.html

you might need an xvid codec to watch this video
http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=1052&ssid=0&did=1

Thanks for watching! Let me know what you guys think ^^!

-vivi

Replies

• rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shame you modeled the inside of the store, but ended up flooding it with lights. still very cool tho.

also, those chinese takeout boxes are huge! they barely even fit in the garbage cans.
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think my trashcan model was too small :P (Chinese takeout boxes were default hl2 junk props)

Glad you liked it tho!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing man, inspirational work here :) Awesome music as well :P

Will you be doing more of these?
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice video! that was fun to watch.
    I like the crashing waves, they really add to the ambiance.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    I think what you captured that I like the most is the experimentation that goes on when creating anything digital. It's really cool to watch the process, the ideas that worked and the ones that get scraped.

I agree though, it is a shame that the inside wasn't used. Would have been cool to see something going on in the store along w/ the waves and birds.

How did you go about capturing this? And how long did it take to complete the scene?

Nice work.

-Tyler
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev wrote: »
    I think what you captured that I like the most is the experimentation that goes on when creating anything digital. It's really cool to watch the process, the ideas that worked and the ones that get scraped.

I agree though, it is a shame that the inside wasn't used. Would have been cool to see something going on in the store along w/ the waves and birds.

How did you go about capturing this? And how long did it take to complete the scene?

Nice work.

-Tyler

The decision to not make an interior was made early on because I felt that it pulled to much focus away from the scene as a whole. I just wanted the focus to be on the sign and some small moving bits in the background.

This scene was made in hl2 and I just took a screenshot every time I did a compile. Then I threw it into some video editing software and used fraps to record the moving bits. :)

The map took about 8 days on and off from concept to final to awesome video ^^

When I go through and do my super final pass of the map I will prob change up some lighting and maybe add some more smaller details but as of now the map will stay like this.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice job Mr. Mojica. Now get back to class.

...I couldn't resist!