Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Gustav Embretsen

Gux
Gux
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Gux polycounter lvl 9
I just finished my portfolio site since it's time for me to find an internship here in Sweden(or Europe) as part of my school's curriculum. It would be great to get some feedback on it and/or the pieces in it if you have the time.

http://www.disk2.com

Replies

• Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Love it! Walter rocks ;D
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Nice portofolio Gustav, your strongest peice there is the assault rifle of course, looks really neat! Anyway I see alot of you PSQ guys here, its kinda cool since our school and yours is somehow rivals. Good luck with ur internship!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I really like the site layout, simple and to the point. I think with the site itself there really isn't anything major that needs to be changed.

As for the content, I really like your work, particularly the concept stuff. I would say from looking at the stuff on your website your 2d art is definitely your strong point.

I can't really pin point what needs improvement on the 3d side, but I think it may be your diffuse textures. I like the subtle detail you put into the gun with the metal scraps showing, but I still think that at the given texture resolutions on all your pieces; the detail could be pushed further. A dirt pass done on the characters in particular would probably add a lot of realism to them. All in all, I think you have really nice work that would be even better with a little more love put into the textures.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    the captain needs to get a fashion stylist. no one ever wears their pants that high up :)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I like your color choices and layout for the site itself.

You should center the page so it's not left aligned ...bit weird on widescreens when it's way over on the left.
    Probably could do with a couple less <br>'s at the top.
    The gap between 'Portfolio' and the other options is a bit funny.

The art itself is decent. Walter needs more sculpting detail. You've got the low level detail there - everything is where it should be. You've got some high level detail. He really needs some good mid level detail. Maybe you jumped up to the highest subdiv too fast. Or you're not comfortable getting crazy in zbrush. I think you could benefit from a crazy 1-3 hour type sculpt from a sphere. Then load him up and paint some hair and drapery etc.

The gun looks great from my character eyes :)
  • Gux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gux polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback!

TWilson: I see what you mean about the page, maybe I should move it a bit into the center and up a little. And you're right about me not being totally comfortable getting crazy in zbrush, something I should work on :D

Kawe: Ah yes, but his mustache makes up for his fashion faux pas. :) Actually he was supposed to have a belt with holsters to fill out his silhouette but it never happened.

BradMyers82: Thanks, I think I'm going to add some more 2d pieces eventually.

c0ldhands: Thanks, rival! :) I feel the same way about the rifle, it's the most recent thing I've done.