Home General Discussion

Critiques for the aspiring game artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
Hey fellas

I thought I'd just bring up a point that has been on my mind lately, which is that it seems to be getting harder to find critiques these days (if you don't stand out).

I've noticed this with competition threads and in Wip threads in general. What I see happening (and I'm guilty of this myself) is that the stand-out artists, who really are the ones that need the least amount of help end up getting all of the replies. We all like to compliment a great artist for their work (fair enough), however, anyone who does not stand out soon has their thread buried and forgotten, with little or no critique to help them further their craft.

It really stands out when competitions (such as the Superhero challenge on Gameartisans a couple of months back) kick in. Forums become a place for fans to gush, not so much constructive criticism for aspiring game artists.

Has anyone else noticed this and are there any suggestions for ways to work around this?

I rely a lot on the feedback from polycounters - I didn't go to school to study gameart, so this really is the only place for me to get constructive feedback, but when I post for critiques and find little or no response, it can get disheartening.

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    lack of critique is, in itself, a critique.
  • ericleekessler
    true, but no critiques = no help for things willing to improve, but if that person never learns from critiques or shows update progress, i can see where not critiquing them anymore comes to play
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    lack of critique is, in itself, a critique.

Yes, I agree - but is that really what polycount is about? Where would anyone be if no-one took the time to lend a hand?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I grew up with eatpoo in its hayday and my opinion kinda stems from that - I've always been of the stance that if my thread wasn't getting any comments it was because it didn't inspire any and if it was really mediocre it was because the crits id be given were tried and tested; practice.

This is more of a 2d thing, because theres a lot that cant really be taught and a comment like "your anatomy is wrong" isn't really helpful and the only real fix is drawing figures for a few months to iron out the kinks.

How it plays with 3d I dont know, i generally save every helpful thing/paintover that i see on these boards... especially things to do with topology and tricount tips because well... those are the best crits I guess?

Interesting though, I dont think the atmosphere here is bad at all... lots of people help out with portfolios and stuff and theyre pretty blunt about it too which is as straight up as you can get \o/
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Sometimes I feel that there are just so many people out there looking for critique or validation that it can become very time consuming offering advice to everyone who is looking to seek it. Sometimes if your threads aren't getting a lot of responses; could just mean people have already given out enough advice and need a break.

I'd say just keep cranking away at your work, trying to make it as sick as you possibly can and eventually it will get noticed and you will see people respond to it. Try not too worry about people critiquing and they will follow naturally.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, I agree - but is that really what polycount is about? Where would anyone be if no-one took the time to lend a hand?

The same places they are as is.

Sectaurs is right. We've all been there. Learn the lesson.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    wohoo a thread about me \o/

Well critique on your work specifically is not the only useful critique. I read other critiques in other threads and alot of the times the tips you learn there are really helpful as well.

And I think you're wrong about only good people getting comments, usually the really bad ones get quite a few comments as well because they are easy to crit - almost a copy/paste job. Or the mistakes are so big that lesser-experienced artists feel confident enough to give crits.

Its the bunch of people in the middle that get no comments, unless my perspective is completely skewed and I belong in the group below the people I classed as beginners... which sucks for me I guess :p
    I don't think its completely disheartening, it gives a little motivation as well... I think... well I havent given up at least!
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Yozora,

I totally agree. It's the ones in the middle that tend to be left out. If your stuff stinks then you'll definitely hear about it too.

Thanks for the comments, guys - I guess you're right. Nothing much to do but knuckle down, learn from the crits given to all + soldier on.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it's tough, dude. but stick it out.

this thread usually pops up about once a year. we all go through the "oh wtf" period after seeing a 50 page knob-polish.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sectaurs. Glad I got it out of my system anyhow. Now to get back to the art making.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seems as tho i find these topics (the meaningful ones) after they are ...ded
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reply the most to threads where there's more to critique, but there has to be something positive to say as well, or your critique would basically amount to 'not good, learn to draw/model'. There really is a stage in which you can't give any other advice than that, because there's really no redeeming value to any of it, and I find it's better to let the more tactful (and knowledgeable) handle it. Like Eric's constant linking to the wiki he helped create, that's far more helpfull than a step-by-step on where this person went wrong if it basically comes to down every step along the way having been wrong.

And I do reply more to friends, I must admit.

edit: and I also tend to find these threads when someone else has already said what I wanted to say far more eloquently than I could, so it'd be pointless to say it again.

edit2: I've thought the same thing though. Every now and again a thread pops up where people do nothing but asspat and drool. I was always under the impression Polycount wasn't a gallery, but with those threads you do begin to wonder.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm with Jackwhat on this one. If no one's commenting on my work, it's usually because the work's just mediocre - not awful enough to require big, fundamental crits and not outstanding enough to inspire more advanced/specific crits.

Basically amounting to "you're almost there, just practice more and you'll 'get' it".
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    At least around here: I'd suggest there's less 'critiquing' going on in "Competition forums" and "What are you working on threads" and most of the critiquing seems to be saved for "Pimping and Previews", it's traveled much more and that's what it's there for, but

Polycount is where it's at for crits. Alot of the other places, just give pats on the back, but that won't get you a job. :(
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I try to give advice and suggestions when I can and have the time, but a lot of the time artwork is so bland and mediocre (my own work oftentimes fall into them categories because I mostly do the designs for my own models, myself, which definitely is not my strong side) that I feel completely apathetic.

But I'm not the teaching/mentoring/tutoring kind of person to begin with. I'm crap at it, and I have no desire to get better at it since I am, and want to stay, an artist and not a teacher. If I somehow manage to help people once in a while, that's good, but sadly I don't go out of my way to help others. Doing so I don't expect others to give me advice and teach me, either.

There's enough "helpful" people around forums like these who speak out of their asses just for the sake of feeling helpful out of sheer selfishness, without me adding to their ranks.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of your replies, fellas. Much appreciated.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I have to add, I like the knob-polish threads. Lets face it, if a thread gets that type of comment on PC then it usually deserves it. Work like that inspires and when there are critiques they are also a little more in depth.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    For me, I'd just like to know if I was going in the right direction or not. My art training has given me enough of a mindset to see and analyze how others do their thing and compare it to what I'm doing, so really, if you read a lot of critiques for other people, you can generally pick up useful information for yourself...

And when you have a question, you ask those questions, be it in your thread or someone else's as to why the solution is offered. Just because nobody critiques your work doesn't mean you still can't ask questions about other people's stuff and learn another way.

I'm pretty insecure about my ability, getting absolute silence from people is something I fear and can't stand, which is why I've started going into other people's threads and analyzing. There's many examples of work here that have problems that I'm dealing with currently, and if nobody has the time to volunteer that info, I ask about it.

People might not even know what you're looking for, so ask questions on specific things, don't ask for general comments, nobody wants to invest that kind of time to overwhelm you... cause shit, son... nothings perfect and you can always add more to the shit pile in a critique.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    One way of remedying the aspect of the lack of critiques issue might be to do more workshoppy type affairs where when entering it, you get given a brief, and all work together in a single thread- explaining methods and getting feedback from each other, building up confidence from each other. Sorta like the mini contests but less competitive and more about giving each other help.

The way I tend to look at critiques is, if I can't do better than what is on show, or at least what I perceive I can't do better may be a more positive spin, I don't feel justified to post a critique as it's like the Harry Enfield character (British comedian, big in the 80s and 90s) who is constantly saying "Now I don't think you wanted to do it like that!" who couldn't actually do what he was critisyzing on.

Sometimes it is easier to just go "yay fucking nice work!! here have an ego handjob!" than go against the grain and point out something.

I've suffered from lack of replies and it does become disheartening but to me it just means I have to work harder to get better and use my own judgement more. If it goes south in a big way, people will then pick up on it, if it goes well, I've learnt from it and maybe get the ego handjob which becomes my scooby snack heh.

Anyways that's my 2p :)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Honestly, I haven't gotten as many crits on my work as I'd like when I've posted on any forum. I'd imagine nobody really does.

But I read as many posts as I can, and when someone is critiquing someone else's work, I can take that information and self-critique.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I make a conscious effort to critique people who really need it but show promise. It normally discourages them to the point they give up when they should just dig in a bit deeper and push forward.

No matter how constructively I put it, I guess it just stings when someone points out you might not be as awesome as you thought... Or I just come off as an abrasive know it all, take your pick.

I also run low on time and don't feel like critiquing things. Especially when there's a good chance they'll just get blown off.

There is something to be said for learning to view your own work with a critical eye. But like any skill that has to be grown over time and training.