Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website Complete.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
just finished up the main part of my portfolio site, need some input.

http://benturner.net

:)

Replies

• TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good start. I'm not sure I'd call it complete yet. "::Under Construction::" :)

Your icons could all be about three times the size and more descriptive of their content.

Make sure your resume section contains your geographical location. It's often the first question a potential employer has if they like your work.

You might want to put a small tag on your images with a web location or your name. If you're lucky enough to end up in people's reference folders its nice to know who the artist is later on.

also:
    When posting your portfolio pimp, it is important that you name your thread correctly to inform other members that it is a portfolio pimp. This will be the official naming convention for all portfolio pimps:
    [Portfolio] – forum name/real name, (additional info)
    ie. [Portfolio] – caseyjones
    ie. [Portfolio] – Emil Mujanovic, Character Artist
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info, i'll start making changes immediately! :thumbup:
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Everything without textures is a WIP and should thus be labeled so because they are incomplete. If they are just things you modeled for fun/speed contest/projects that didnt require textures label them accordingly.

Also I think after you click the first link to get to see one project you should have a large picture there displayed presenting the best view of that particular project. You can still have the thumbnails of all the other shots but this gives people a quick glance at what they can expect as a whole and know if they want to check out the rest of the picks.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like autocon said, i was expecting an img when clicking on one of the thumbnails, not having to click again to finaly see something.

I think you should fill the gab on the right side of you homepage with a piece of art.
    I myself dont like to browse websites that dont make clear what there content is, so by showing a piece of art on the startpage, you get peoples attention.

same goes for the thumbnails, make them show the content well
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the input. This is my first website so its helpful to hear some voices of experience. I'll start making some changes in the near future. The foundation is laid so hopefully i'll be able to come out of this with a respectable site. i'm also working on image sizes, button sizes, resume formats etc... i've had help from friends and tutorials but i didn't expect to get it right on the first try. Also i'll be adding some more work here pretty soon, 3d and 2d, to fill up more of my index page, so that might even things out a bit. Thanks again for the suggestions and keep em coming!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    One page of thumbnails, neutral color background. As simple as possible.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i still think pior's site is one of the best portfolio sites out there.

http://www.pioroberson.com/ (has some nudity, so it might be NSFW)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i recently found some time to do make some changes to my site. I haven't changed the design/layout yet but i did optimize all of my images, added resume info and changed some picture sizes. Now i'm going to change things around a little bit so when you click on the individual projects you'll get an image and all of the thumbnails under/above/around it. I havent really decided how to go about doing this yet... I'd like to have the thumbnails on the bottom but i dont want them to be pushed off the screen on the big pictures. I was also planning on re-rendering alot of my work to a bigger size and adding wires/textures/concepts for the ones that have them. Anyways, i'll have a revised site pretty soon. keep the input coming, i appreciate the help.:)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    a grey background for your site would make seeing your pictures soo much easier.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check out http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/. a very good site for some basic tips.

your site is pretty good except for a few things:
    -neutral/dark color background makes images pop out and hurts the eyes less
    -thumbnails of the gallery on every page of the gallery
    -clicking on the gallery index link should automatically show the first image of the gallery
    -more info on your pieces (software used, tri count, texture sizes, render/realtime, etc)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the site is coming together b3n. it needs more good artwork, i can tell from what you have up, you've got the ball grease, but it's pretty bare bones man! the unearthly challenge should help beef it up. ;)