Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DM-Grand-Diablo_Beta2 OUT NOW ! (unreal engine 3)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
warby polycounter lvl 18
Name: Dm-Grand-Diablo

Version: beta3

Compatibility: DeathMatch,TeamDeathMatch,Duel

Description: i am not good with story so if somebody wants to fill in fantasy stuff be my guest :)

Comments: the map is based on the phenomenal concept art by marc simoneti ( http://www.blizzard.com/us/inblizz/contests/artcontest2006/images/granddiablo.jpg ) that won him the the blizzard art contest i tried to contact him and ask for permission to do a 3d interpretation of his painting but i couldn't get a hold of him which is kind of worrying considering that he does freelance work and getting a hold of him needs to be REALLY REALLY easy. i hope he or one of his mates will see this and tell him to get in touch with me ^^ what else can i say ... its a 100% custom map. for the first time ever i want to do an extended beta release phase for my custom maps before i release a final and get as much user input into the map as possible and i am talking specifically game play here ... i have to admit i have never really understood what makes unreal maps tick it always seamed like witchcraft to me counter strike or dod i could dissect the gameplay into microscopic detail but with unreal i have always been lost so i really really need your guys input here on all the weapon /pickup placement trick jumps ... EVERYTHING need a new entrance here ? need access to that roof there ? anything still goes bombard me with game play wishes ... please ... go nuts ! also of course any kind of bug and graphics artifact you find please post a screenshot as well =) thanks in advance
Screenshots:

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_01.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_02.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_03.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_04.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_05.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_06.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_07.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_08.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_09.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_10.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_11.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_12.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_13.jpg

whats new:

... too much for me to remember ...

Credits:
map models and textures by Soenke C. "Warby" Seidel
conceptart by marc simoneti
raw photos and cathedral exterior base geometry by thomas "hessi" hess
mental crisis support by hourences

Homepage: http://www.warby.de

Download:
http://warby.bitproll.de/projects/0042_dm-grand-diablo_beta3/dm-grand-diablo_beta3.rar

yes this is a shameless thread copy paste from the epic forum :D

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    looks pretty neat. last image reminds me of that first Q3 map.. forgot what it is called.

maybe a little too red. it washes everything out. try throwing in some very very subtle complementary colors perhaps. or whatever color scheme you'd like.

second to last image could use some shadows.

do you have some level overview image?

also I'm not sure if clutter missing is an issue, heh.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Very nice looking level.

I'll get to playing it and let you know later on.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome work.. as for the story it reminds me of this painting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:John_Martin_-_Sodom_and_Gomorrah.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Needs some serious lighting tweaks.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    very nice, would have to agree that the lighting is way too saturated and primary, i would never light with flat colour, adding just a tiny amount of blue and green to the value would allow any colour variation in the textures to be apparent.
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Nice looking but I think it will look even nicer with less red. Keep up the good work.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    when you say less red you talk about the inside of the cathedral not the outside bits right ?!

i am way more dissatisfied with the lighting on the outside its so ... greybrown its what i would have assumed would be the general color that the sun on the concept art would tint the level with ... but i just don't like it

i tried some other moods but i really don't know what direction to take this in

gd_lighting_wip.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    man, world builders have come a long way.

looks great man.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    looks great. i dont know how final this is but i think it could urea more focused lighting pass. the fire looks great but could be scaled down the give a more realistic feel.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    this is looking awesome man, I especially love that show of the tower with all the spikes silhouetted against the bright background. of the different lighting examples, id say a cross between 2 and 4 would be good, you just need to find a way to add some contrast into it.

how are you achieving the saturation efect? just a strong colored light or a post process volume? I think if you lit it with a bit of colored lights that are a lot more subtle saturation wise and then used a post process to tweak the mid tones, shadows and highlights you could get some nice breakup going on while still harmonizing the color pallete.

looks pretty awesome so far man.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome warby :D downloading now!

edit: I managed to load the map in the editor, but my video card (8600 GT 512mb) could not play it. I'll try it on my work machine.

ps. I noticed that a lot of models in the generic browser only have 1 UV channel, you may want to revisit them so that they are casting/receiving shadows better.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    looks awesome warby :D downloading now!

edit: I managed to load the map in the editor, but my video card (8600 GT 512mb) could not play it. I'll try it on my work machine.

ps. I noticed that a lot of models in the generic browser only have 1 UV channel, you may want to revisit them so that they are casting/receiving shadows better.

that is wired i only have a 7800 and i have no problem loading it i mean all around memory efficiency was one of my big goals that is also why i cut up my geometry in specific ways to FAKE ligthmap shadows without actually having any hence the 1 uv set
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    why is it that i can only put 16 images in one post ... i feel discriminated against :D

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_14.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_15.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_16.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_17.jpg

dm-grand-diablo_beta3_18.jpg
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    fantastic work man, I just checked out the file in unreal ed and you have a ncie balance of textural detail vs modeled. really looks sound from a technical standpoint. the art is really nice too, textures are crisp and the layout is solid.

you should be proud of this for sure dude, its clearly visible a lot of time and effort went into this.
    Cheers
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that looks incredible! wow. :)

the cliff on the left in the screens looks a bit like chocolate hehe, maybe its the spec.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    dm-grand-diablo_beta3_02.jpg

postfilter.jpg

i was always wondering why the light is so dark / contrasty in the screen shots its not at all what it looks like in unrealed .... and than i saw that i completely forgot that a while ago i set the the postfitler settings to VIVID and it seams to make a quite a difference
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    This is a masterpeice Warby. Coming from an inspiring Environment using the UE3 engine for an unreal 3 MOD, I only wish i could acheive this kind of quality and professionalism in my maps..

I remember when you posted Kolsh and how blown away I was. Forget characters, this is pure skill. Downloading this now!

p.s- Would you mind Warby if I contacted you personally to get an idea of your basic workflow in regards to UE3. I could very much use some of your wisdom in regards to some things related to my MOD. Thanks!

Scott Petty
    www.Buddikaman.com
    Environment Artist
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I dont play but this looks rad Warby. Good Job!