Yunero (Warcraft Orc)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
UPDATE: (finished)

posed-1.jpg
flats:
Yunero-Flats-1.jpg

I am calling it done, I gave it my best but now I must move on to new projects. The textures are now cleaner and optimized.
Thanks a lot for the crits guys! They really helped me pushing the model further and it made the process a lot more fun. So big a thx to polycount.

If you wanna take a closer look at Yunero, I am sharing the model

Download Here :

There is a .max version which is rigged and also .obj versions if you feel like bring it in another 3d package. put the texture to 80-90% self-illumed for best rendering results.
Feedback is very appreciated.

Cheers.

P.S: if you use this for a portfolio or reel, plz give me credit for the model&textures. thx.

OLD
Hi guys,

I wanted to push my hand painted skills and so here is a 3d take on Yunero based off Samwize's concept. diffuse only.

Its about 80% there, but Ill let it rest for a week before I finish it up and rig it.
There is still no alpha to fake ripped cloth and rope at his feet. I think that might give the model a boost.

I saved a lot of iterations of this, I could post some of the progression the model went through if you guys are interested. Critiques are welcome. Comments too :)

textures: Body - 1024 ( ill scale it down to 512 when im done)
sword and sword accessories - 512
04-blademaster-col.jpg
Yunero-1.jpg

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    this is absolutely great I love the texturing, but where are his foot wraps? there not in the model other then that head seems a bit tiny

texturing on the sword is Fantastic!
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Never add specular lighting information onto a diffuse texture. Prime example here being the sword. Big no-no!
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow good work! I think his clothes could use a little more grit, but otherwise awesome.

zephyr: do you mean not to paint a highlight for metal on a diffuse texture?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    thats some big words here Zephir
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    why not add spec to diffuse when hes only making a diffuse? :o

and nice work, it does remind me of warcraft :) the pants do look a little too plain though compared to the detail in everything else
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I'm no expert in WOW or any other RPG for that matter, but the characters head looks a wee bit too small for that body. I kinda like it like that in a weird way but it might look better if it were bigger.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Yozora wrote: »
    why not add spec to diffuse when hes only making a diffuse? :o

touch
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 wrote: »
    Never add specular lighting information onto a diffuse texture. Prime example here being the sword. Big no-no!
    Someone hasn't played WoW or looked at most of Blizzards games.

I think you did a great job at nailing the style and the concept, nice work. With a little bit of polish I'd think it came from Bliz.

Crits:
    - The pixel density seems kind of skewed, I'm comparing the beard to the cloth straps. It wouldn't be too hard to do a new UV layout on another channel and bake the old to the new, and then touch it up.

- You need to think about readability from a distance. Things like the rings in the ponytail need to be a bit bigger, and the stitching on the side pads needs to stand out a bit more.

- The puffy pants need knee joints, I don't see any knee joints how do you plan to handle this? On the conceptthe pant/boot line are just below the knees which could help disguise the joint deformation, but on your model the legs look a bit longer and the knees would be higher in the pants, making it harder to disguise the knee joint.

- I'm really digging that sword! But those little hoops attached to the hilt "could" be done with a single poly and a transparency, or simply done with less geometry.

- The shine on the necklace looks a bit funny. You might want to set up some simple lights, a material that mimics what you have and bake the lights/shadows into your diffuse. Painting highlights and shadows on an unwrapped sphere can be maddening.

- You also might want to try using quad spheres instead of regular spheres. They unwrap a tiny bit better and have less open edges/seams in key areas making them easier to paint on since they unwrap like a box. Since they also don't contain any tris they sub divide really well.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=810733
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE wrote: »
    I'm no expert in WOW or any other RPG for that matter, but the characters head looks a wee bit too small for that body. I kinda like it like that in a weird way but it might look better if it were bigger.
    Warcraft orcs do have tiny heads, especially the male, I think the proportions are correct.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Much in love!
    Would love to have that land on my desk to animate ;)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    nice stuff!
    definitely needs some sort of geometry in the knee area so he can bend them, but that was already mentioned ;).
    looking forward to seeing it done!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    seforin : thanx a bunch! The foot wrappings are now added. The flag is missing also, I might add it later

Zephir62: well for something next-gen, I would agree not to add much spec inside the diffuse, but I am just having fun making some good old diffuse only model. :)

pior: Thanks for stopping by!

Proxzee: Thanks for the advice! I will try adding a dirt pass to boost the texture work.

Yozora: Thks!

GOBEE: Thanks for the tip, I have change the proportions a bit, I hope its better.

Vig: man, Thanks a lot for the pointers! the necklaceand rings have been tweaked a bit for the readability and I ll use quad spheres from now on. It was a real pain to texture :). Cheers!

AnimeAngel: Yeah the proportions were ok, but Ive changed them a bit so the head doesnt look so small anymore.

Flynny: hey, you never know, I was thinking of sharing the model with you guys, I still need the finishing touches and the rigging.... It would be awesome though if someone here could rig it for me... I really hate skinning heh. But then again I think it wouldnt be complete without a cool pose on it.

Japhir: thx Japhir! Yeah those knees are pretty stiff right now :) Ill change that.

Heres an update....Still some cleaning and polishing left on the mesh and texture. now at 4101 tris . Added a bit of light to put some ambience..

Render1.jpg
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    this looks pretty awesome man. the only thing I would try to do is maybe try to get rid of that airbrushy feel some areas are having like the biceps. some harder brushwork could really help make the texture pop i think. right now a 1024 seems kinda wasteful for the amount of detail the texture has.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! 256 or 512 would seem more appropriate I agree. It's a shame the banner's missing. It's a key element to the character. The beard somhow looks like part of his garnment, some darker strokes in the beard would help too.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Looking brilliant Wizo, id definately love to rig this up ;) love to see it ingame!
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you rigg this - please add the blade-storm abbility from warcraft 3 - the character is absolutely awesome :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    I think the character looks great man. Super clean job with the texturing job, your hand painting skill looks pretty solid so far. I reckon you maybe go in with a bit of grit. This may have been stated earlier in the thread.

Boot up some WoW images on google and have a look at some characters there for comparison. I think that the leather armor needs a little more variation. the highlights you've painted onto the skin and armor look really solid, but a bit more variations of dark color would really make everything pop. same goes for the skin. It's just a little too evenly-green. Give it some spottiness.

IMO

Cheers! :P
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I would be almost tempted on overlaying some fabric on the pants, break it up a bit as pope Adam said.

Really like what you did with the face, painting in those teeth really gave the orc some character, maybe add a bit more variation to the arms (looks a bit too plain, even for the style your aiming for... i think more so the bicep...) maybe add a tattoo or scar, maybe even add a bit more geometry and give him a shoulder pad on one side. You broke the symmetry for the legs, and I think if you do the same thing with the torso, it will give it that extra kick that it needs.

I'm enjoying this model man, great progress, looking forward to some more updates.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really awesome, really great mesh. I think the texture is almost there, the lighting values and colors look great, but it's just lacking that something. Something to break it up, like brush strokes, noise, texture, etc. Agree with most of what was said before. Keep it up, looking really good!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Great inputs guys!!! its very appreciated.

PixelMasher: Thanks!! Although I ve updated some parts, I still feel that crit still applies....the bicep needs some work, I made a quick fix so that the muscle is shorter and makes more sense but I am keeping in mind a hard brush work should help me wrap this up.

nkoste: Great crits :) I added the flag and changed the beard shape a bit.

Flynny: Nice! I ll hook you up with it as soon as Im done with it. For portfolio purposes, I may start a quick rig of my own.. but im looking foward to share this model and see some animation on it.

e-freak: haha yeah blade storm was awesome. Ill see what I can do :)

Pope Adam: Thanks for the input! Now that you meantion it, I definately see some browns and reds missing that make that final 10% I am looking for. Ill be working on that this week.

JasonLavoie: Thx, I put some variation on the pants, I hope its better now. It ll probably show better when I post and updated colored version. For the biceps, ill be checking some more WoW model for hard brush refs. Good crits !

Ajax: Thanks, hopefully adding a few props like the concept show will break up the symmetry and make it more interesting.

udpate2:
    Yunero_frontback.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Really cool, and well executed! makes me want to try characters again...
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Really badass, looking very clean!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Cody: Thanks!

Flynny: thx man! I finally uploaded the model, let me know what you think of it. Peace!

T-pose.jpg
    wires-4.jpg
  • machuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this looks great wizo! really nice work.
    only thing bothering me is the "ball biceps" and his blank flag. not sure if that is in the concept, but kinda of feels strange for him to carry something that big that doesn't pass a message.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, especially the small version! I bet the characters warcraft IV will be similar to yours in polycount and texture size.

only things that jump out are the blank flag (already mentioned) and the lack of color. sure it looks realistic with all the natural earth tones, but if you really wanna emulate the blizzard style you cant be afraid of color. his sash strikes me as a good item to colorize.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    machuca : yeah ive been struggling with the bicep, I made it a bit more rectangle than before but it couldve been pushed further. thx for the pointer.

rhoymand: Thanks for the tip.. Ill make the color tweaks when I make a final push for my portfolio.

I made a quick fix on that flag until I paint a logo :).
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Brilliant Yunero, il get right on to rigging in Maya ;) should be fun.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    nice character man, colors seem to work great together, it creates sort of pastel style.

maybe i will repeat someone, sry, i didn't check all thread ;)

I just think it could have more crisp details in texture especially skin and clothes. Also his beard maybe could have several planes with alpha to have more "hairy feeling" or maybe just sharper hairs in the texture.

But all metal parts look definitely cool.
    I have always difficulties if i do shiny metal :(