Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pa 350

Alright...I hate to be a thread hog but my concept totally changed due to certain peoples good ideas and peer pressure...plus I preferred it. Heres a small update with the changes to my model. Most of the accessories are just templates atm so they arent final. Let me know what yall think.

Oh and some of you might notice that I pulled a bit of references from death race...figured I would say it now before people mention the obvious.....
rrr2bg2.jpg

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Wires would be good to see.

Also remember on the guns to think about how they would acutely be attached instead of just stuck on. Not saying for far enough along for that but its good to think about even in the planning stages.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally forgot, here ya go..
    rrr4pc0.jpg
  • DavidC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The car looks awesome, but I made a couple of suggestions. Also, why are there two tail pipes? Oh right, they're not tail pipes, they're rocket boosters. Should have known.

carsuggestionssp0.jpg
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    if it's a 350z it has two exhausts stock...

I'm always a fan of making a post-apoc styled combat vehicle so that's an instant win there. Is this a high poly mesh for bake down or a "medium poly" mesh that will be the final ingame model? I'm having a hard time guessing from the wires though I'm leaning towards medium poly/ingame...

Either way I'd like to see nice bullet-feeding-belts connected to the twin mini-guns, attack helicopter/fighter pilot style (where the bullets travel inside the static belt-chamber).

Something about the front area around the wheels looks a little strange, but I dont have any reference in front of me, just thinking of the 350z a co-worker has so I'm not quite sure what it is. Overall looking nice so far though, look forward to seeing progress and texturing.
  • DavidC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the tail pipe thing was in jest, but I looked at a picture of the 350 and realized I was completely wrong about the vertical line.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments fellas. I finished working on the base model tweaks and am about done the armor and weapons.

I should be moving on to the hi res tomorrow. I'll post a update tomorrow after I have finished all the accessories.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im now on to the hi res and uv mapping which will most likely take some time. The car will be on a full 2048 and is sitting at 18k polys right now. 12k with just exterior, with no accessories and 6k for the accessories.
    rrr5on6.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    sweet...Id say the last few renders are looking a little flat. I think they would read much better with a clearly defined light source and a couple bounce lights to show off the form more
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a little update of my work as of right now..please let me know what you all think. be kind:poly122:
    rrr6cl2.jpg
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after waking up and having a fresh set of eyes to set on the work I did last night I found a couple things I plan on changing. Mainly how much orange is on the rim itself as well as how even the grime built up is on them.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the break discs, wouldn't you get a better result by just making a square plane, and alpha-ing out the circle?
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for the break discs, wouldn't you get a better result by just making a square plane, and alpha-ing out the circle?

I actually tested that last night but when I turned the wheel it was completely flat, which wasnt a result I really cared for. Some final shots I plan on having the wheels turned around 40 degrees.
  • UnsteadyTeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UnsteadyTeddy polycounter lvl 17
    I'm pretty sure the drake disc wouldn't get rust and shit on it when its being raced around for a living!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    if you live any place that salts the roads in the winter they can get very rusty. There is a "cleaner" area where the friction wears it down some, but my rotors actually had to be ground down slightly to clean up the rust that naturally occurs on them from the road salt. Granted I didn't race my car ever up north, but normal daily use wear and tear (with heavy forced city driving breaking) shouldn't be that far off from race wear in terms of wearing off the rust...

At any rate, I think it's looking good so far, though there seems to be a bit of weirdness going on with the textured rim in the close up render, is that a shadowing error or a normal map problem?
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see you guys are saying the same things as my coworkers...narrows down what I need to fix. Im gonna be getting on a few of them tonight...thanks for the comments:)
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update with about 3 hours into the diffuse map. This is probably going to be my last update until completion...I just felt like tossin' something up here to bump the thread.

Its in such a WIP stage Im not sure if you can really crit anything without me saying something along the lines of, " oh I havent gotten to that yet" or " Its suppost to be that way".

Please though, if theres something thats sticks out let me know :).

aaawqlh9.jpg
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost forgot to mention. After I finish the diffuse I plan on going back and creating a secondary "detail" normal map( I'll use photoshops nvidia filter to create a normal map from the color map and use layer type, soft light to bring out the new details while the old details stay intact). So I can map the rust, detail around the bullet holes, scratches, etc etc pop out just a little more and to compliment the spec map and match the color map as well.

At the moment theres a normal map with the basic details: large dents, accessories to the car, initial bullet holes, and so on.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    wow looking nice keep it up bro!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Dude! This is looking sick! I was planning on modeling my station wagon, and modifying it like this. But now...well I have a basis for how good it should look.
  • -DN-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    Just with a quick look see the things that stick out to me are...

Negatives.

1. Your UV density is a bit off, example, On the Guns the barrel has a lot more texture space assigned to them than the large chamber mesh which players, your audience will see more/easier. And when you think about how you can texture a gun barrel with a lower res gradient without the player noticing... While the larger part of the gun will be easy to see, and have pixel stretching.

2. Textures do not look like actual car parts, To me it reads as blurry shadows where there shouldn't be shadows. If its some kinda of fantasy, sci-fi car where it doesn't matter than well keep going with it. You may want to google racing rators, calipers, and the side walls of performance tires to tighten up the textures, atm they just look like they were made with random overlays to dirty them up.

3. Poly wise, I think you could take out quite a few polys from the flat surfaces of the car that do not add to the surface variation or silluette (Hood, side panels, rear window spoiler) and try to get rid of the blockyness in spots like the tires, the molding on the front bumper, etc. As well the barrel ends on the guns could probably be alpha mapped... or even just made solid. Just from the pics it looks like about 500 polys or so that would be used better else where.

Positives

1. The mesh bits and bobs actually look believable, proportions and damage received.

2. Bump map is doing a good job, especially on the bullet wholes.

3. Potential, this is obviously still WIP and I bet you will end up with a good piece.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I like how this is turning out. Very good!
    :thumbup:
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on guys, thanks for the kind words :)

DN: I appreciate the thurough run down of the model. I actually took some of that into consideration last week. I totally forgot to post wires of the updated mesh. As for the guns, I'll be putting each of them on a 512 of there own. I did a few texture tests to see how the pixel density matched up with the car itself. It came out to only a slight difference, noticable, but not to extreme to warrant a 1024 for guns. As for the texture seeming like its part of the car...I think..think..that once I have something closer to a finished product it will come together...I hope, Hah!
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was taking a little break.

Everytime you masterbate god sends a post apocolyptic 350z to kill a kitten

yayic0.jpg
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    the detail on the bullets hitting the ground is stunning!
  • dbreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dbreak polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like an Cadiallac maybe'
    Its gunna look like that movie "Death Race"
    (*Meows**)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome man, those bullet holes look really crisp and pop nicely. the dents could use with some harder edges metal tends to pinch and crease heavily when dented, trust me, ive got a big one in the side of my car :P right now the dents just look a tad too pillowy. i think this is gonna look dope when its done just keep givin'er on the texture.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the detail on the bullets hitting the ground is stunning!

You dont even know how long that took me...gah.:(..no respect for hard work:poly127:
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dbreak wrote: »
    Looks like an Cadiallac maybe'
    Its gunna look like that movie "Death Race"
    (*Meows**)

I pulled a lot of my reference from that movie actually.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome man, those bullet holes look really crisp and pop nicely. the dents could use with some harder edges metal tends to pinch and crease heavily when dented, trust me, ive got a big one in the side of my car :P right now the dents just look a tad too pillowy. i think this is gonna look dope when its done just keep givin'er on the texture.

No worries..the end result will help fix the softness of the dents. Glad you reminded me though..almost forgot about it.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    zerafian wrote: »
    I was taking a little break.

Everytime you masterbate god sends a post apocolyptic 350z to kill a kitten

yayic0.jpg

Run Kitty Run! LoL!
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a small update guys...I'v only put in around 5 or 6 hours of texturing time in...at most. Im pretty behind at this point. Im hoping I can be completely done by mid next week.

Let me know what ya think of my update.

awwwyea123ar8.jpg