Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Unearthly Challenge | BlackJack | TBD

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
25_GA_WARDEVIL_TERMINAL_BUN.jpg

This one caught my eye. Seems to already have a nice ominous tone to it. Was thinking of this corridor leading to some place that you absolutely do not want to go... i.e to play off the whole torture theme...

Too bad we cant have characters, i wanted to hang like torsos and shit everywhere to make it fit the torture theme better.

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're allowed to have dead bodies and the like to create ambience, they're just not allowed to be a focal point. You might be able to do something effective by simply suggesting that bad shit has gone down though - creating suspense though what you don't see and whatnot.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah i see now, that definitely changes things then. Here's a quick block i've been working on to just kind of get the overall feel of the piece... I want to stay true to the concept but add a couple new elements in as well...

here's a block test i've been working on.

block_1.jpg
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    good direction so far
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick concept of the spires in the background... in the updated block i removed some of them, it seemed to cluttered, now there are only 8 surrounding the chamber.

Ya i'm no concept artist lol... but here's an idea of what i am going for...

Spire_1.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool concept, nice pick. Shaping up nicely too, keep at it!

Something to keep in mind, they are looking for a departure from the original concept not just a faithful recreation. You'll need to keep elements of the original concept legible in the final versions. It might be worth it to play around with different camera angles at this stage.

Looking good keep truckin!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ground texture i've been toying around with...

groundtexture.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on this floor texture.. i'm calling it finished and i'm going to start texturing.

floor.jpg
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    what a tripping hazard! that would not fly on my evil airship!

Your modeling skills should have naturally brought you toward the far superior and far more evil cable direction of 1.straight out, and then 2. hang a left.

tada, much more evil. and, after gunning down a morning of peons, running to the lunch room to discuss maulings wont cause massive head trauma to your fighter staff.

woot!

3314ffdb0fd5eab93ea5a12dd8adb40d2g.jpg
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I just spat out my water! :D
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was just laughing out loud for a good 3 minutes.... that may have been the best critique i've ever recieved
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Ha..nice paintover. :P

Seriously..pretty cool lookin' floor tile though.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    ya the floor tile is awesome, good work man!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Just a personal thing but don't bake in wires when they run ontop of the ground, its a BAD idea. Good to go if they are mostly running under things, but if not then it will very badly tile.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero - Using a spline to model the wires, if i have the last vertex of the spline on the X axis at say, position x = 128, i simple make the last vertex of the oposing spline at position x = 128... therefore they tile together seamlessly as demonstrated below.

WIP_2.jpg
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a DirectX preview in max of the finished texture in max.

1024x Diffuse, Normal, and Spec maps.. I'll have a 1024 Emissive in there as well.

FloorTexShot.jpg
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the issue that Tgz was disputing is whether the wires tile.

I think he was rather stating that having those wires on the surface would make for obvious tiling which would detract any sense of believability the texture may have.
  • M@ttack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta say I agree with the wire crit, especially at the sharp angle it's rendered from there. Maybe if you could render it with some parallaxing it would pop right out. Either way, thats a sick piece, awesome high poly.
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    yeah, i think if you put the wire underneath all that nice negative space you have and maybe increase their numbers, it would look pretty sick. you could maybe have one or two popping over and around in between...i don't know my two cents. I think you could knock back the yellow a few notches as well. lookin good tho
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I think your right about the yellow kiril. However i just put this in game and for the small space this textures is going to occupy, it actually doesn't tile bad at all.

I put a paralax map on it and it really makes a difference... the circular pieces stick out just right. I think it really gives the texture what it needs. I am going to bump offset the grates with a LERP expression, and actually put a wire and pipes texture underneath the surface of this one so it looks like there are already a bunch of pipes and wires running underneath
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    cool, would love to see a screenshot, what engine are you using or what are you using for your final shot? btw you could hang torsos and dismembered stuff, it counts as "statues". read it in one of the questions and answer topics
  • skidu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, btw did you render out an AO from your high poly? I think if you multiply that over the diffuse it might help with the depth.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya i rendered 2 different lighting passes... a skylight with light tracer using scanline (i was getting better results with scanline for some reason) and another AO pass with mental ray... I only used the AO for certain parts of the texture though... i'll have a screenshot of what the texture looks like in game on my next update :-)
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys... here'es the shot of the texture in engine.

FloorIE.jpg

And here's a High Poly of the wall im' working on.

wall.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Loooks great in UT3, hope that wall piece works out just as well. The wall might look good with some pipes running across, but that would most likely be a separate piece. Great work!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I'd suggest making a mesh for the floor tiles instead of simply using a flat surface, you have some details that would greatly benefit from being in 3d, such as the part the wires are starting from and the wires themselves, I'd personally make a module with the wires and the 'node' thing that can tile/end, etc and use that to break the tiling of the base texture, adding them at different intervals/rotations.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah for sure, doing that all as a single plane is a *very very* bad idea. You have 250,000 tris to spend, you can use a little here and there to add some depth. The main circular bits here should be modeled out, and the wires definitely should be separate meshes. The way you have it with the wires baked down tiles horribly.

Give your scene some life, push the depth in your lowpoly meshes!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oookay :-(... back to square 0... but i guess it will be better in the end.
    The good news is that i already have all that shit saved... so i guess i'll just be able to bake out those parts that are already modelled, and just throw them on top of the texture to hide it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You don't need to go back to the beginning, simply cut shapes in to a plane with that texture applied, do a simple tiling texture for the wires, and go to town.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    oookay :-(... back to square 0... but i guess it will be better in the end.
    The good news is that i already have all that shit saved... so i guess i'll just be able to bake out those parts that are already modelled, and just throw them on top of the texture to hide it.

I would not go back to square one either.... At a certain distance perspective will get the best of you and it will be a waste to model in all that mesh far away when the texture you have is perfect, and you don't need to waste poly count. but for the closeup bits I agree there should be more mesh pushed into it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would not go back to square one either.... At a certain distance perspective will get the best of you and it will be a waste to model in all that mesh far away when the texture you have is perfect, and you don't need to waste poly count. but for the closeup bits I agree there should be more mesh pushed into it.

I dont agree with this, really you'de be doing more work for a lesser result, or more work to compensate for something being un-noticable, that to me seems like a waste of time. I also dont really agree with adam, you dont want to just cut out a peice of geometry there, thats not really how tangent normals work, you'll get incorrect lighting, and likely some nasty seams where you split up smoothing groups, which will make this look *even worse*. What you want to do is create a nice lowpoly, with enough geometry to get a nice clean seamless(one smoothing group) normal bake. At this point creating "lods" is also a really bad idea, because the lower detail mesh will have very incorrect lighting, but the top level quality is what he should be more concerned with anyway.

The positive to this is, you've already got your highres done, and most of your texture can be reused as well.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I dont agree with this, really you'de be doing more work for a lesser result, or more work to compensate for something being un-noticable, that to me seems like a waste of time. I also dont really agree with adam, you dont want to just cut out a peice of geometry there, thats not really how tangent normals work, you'll get incorrect lighting, and likely some nasty seams where you split up smoothing groups, which will make this look *even worse*. What you want to do is create a nice lowpoly, with enough geometry to get a nice clean seamless(one smoothing group) normal bake. At this point creating "lods" is also a really bad idea, because the lower detail mesh will have very incorrect lighting, but the top level quality is what he should be more concerned with anyway.

The positive to this is, you've already got your highres done, and most of your texture can be reused as well.

I agree about "not how tangents work" hence not suggesting simply cutting up the mesh, but I think we will have to agree to disagree on a lod system being used.. since this is a "still frame shot" and if this floor is going to be used over a large area. Eventually perspective and distance will come into play where you are just wasting mesh.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i wont really argue that keeping level of detail in mind is important, but that still doesn't address the issue of getting incorrect lighting when you flaten this back down with a proper normals. Tho that is really a pretty minor squabble, and theres a good chance depending on angle that wouldn't be noticable in the first place. So whatever =P

butts.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, more on "tangent normals don't work that way"

From left to right;
    #1 here shows what you would get by simply cutting in geometry, notice the ugly seams, and the fact that the ring of polys that was extruded is lit incorrectly.

#2 Standard flat projection, you could actually get some convincing results with this by using a simple parrallax effect, well atleast it would look better than #1 IMO.

#3 Best quality, correctly baked normals on the supporting geometry. You could also take out that small poly ring and just add a hard edge there, for a little cleaner normal and less tris.

lolnormals.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Option #4- You could have the bump be floating geometry so you don't have to use polys cutting it out of the floor. I'm not sure if this would look better or worse than option 3, but just an idea....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that would work, and would look the same as just #3 if there was a hard edge between the plane and the circle. One important thing to mention, is although you'de save a few polys that way, you would waste a bit of fillrate(i think? maybe something else) by essentially having to render the same area of pixels twice. Either way, it shouldn't make any difference in a modern engine.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What i'm going to do is re-use my already modeled geometry. I'm going to bake a lowpoly Wire Hub, and then since i still have my spline shapes, i'm just going to bake a simple wire with a tilable texture like adam said, and place floating, tile-able "Modular Wires" directly over the already existing texture. It will cover up the texture that is already made.

This tileable floating geometry will not tile badly because i will have more wires that aren't modular but more specifically modelled overlaying on top of them. This is going to be like a tilebreaker pattern i guess. Not to mention this is just one layer of shit that's going to be on the floor anyways.

I really hate sucking ass at concept... i have a great ability to project what's in my mind directly into 3d... for some reason i can't do it in 2D. You guys will see this coming together soon enough... hopefully
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the double post... but this is whay i'm planning on doing for this..

here's a WIP shot with Lightingmap as Diffuse and the baked normals schlopped on.

4 of these pieces are 25,000 tris without optimization... i suspect this will greatly be decreased after i optimize these wires.

HDWIP1.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks a lot better, but it seems like you still have a repetitive pattern to those wires. Imo, those should be placed custom at the end, and i would really cut down on the number of them as well. You still basically have the same tiling problems as before.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    on no... android octopuses are invading ur scene. lol. looks better.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes earthquake it is repetative... but this is the bare floor, and it's not going to quad tile like that.. the floor will be 1x4 instead of 2x2 i guess.

Other than that other overlaying unique details will break up the tiling alot, so i'm not too worried about it. time to texture this and mush on
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay i took a break from finishing the floor to get my interests peaked again.

I started on the pillars. The idea here is to use broken down old pillar (from a previous civilization (more on the backstory later)).... and put modular tech- junk on it to break up repetition of the pillar.

So i have a rough block going on trying to get some intersting shapes. Let me know what ya think

PillarWIP1.jpg
  • SLOM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show please a grid of support
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    you shouldn't have to low poly model the bumpiness in your texture with all the virtual displacement mapping techniques becoming widespread now.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipr: I hope I misunderstood you, but are you saying he shouldn't model in the damage on the pillar? If so, that's a massively stupid suggestion, unless you're talking about actual geometry-deforming displacement maps (which aren't commonplace, or in fact ANYplace as far as I know)
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    i was talking about his floor
  • felixthepuerto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felixthepuerto polycounter lvl 10
    Cool stuff man, the ground looks awesome.