Home General Discussion

Columbus, Ohio

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
Hi all, I am going to present my work at the IEEE Vis conference in October in Columbus, as the paper on the application for virtual endoscopy was accepted and will be published in their journal. After a week of conference I will have like a weekend left before flying home. Now I know Columbus is not THE city ;) but wondered if anyone living/lived there can recommend places?
And dont say German Village ;)
Otherwise I would probably spend the day at some bigger park and have a look at their campus.
link to conference
http://vis.computer.org/VisWeek2008/Vis/index.html

some might remember me pimping early shots on the medical vis app last year. The application (made with luxinia of course hehe) is used in clinics and with the success at the CASH (computer aided surgery around the head) workshop, the project got into news of major medical journals and science and will also get into TV (at least in Germany).
The CASH was mostly for surgists to enhance their techniques, training with dead corpses. But they also compared virtual with live images from those dead corpses, and I can assure that dead people / severed heads really do look like the plastic zombies in doom3.
german press release for worka at CASH event
http://www.uni-magdeburg.de/home/rpoe/presse_medien/pressemitteilungen/pmi_2008/pressemitteilungen_februar_2008/pm_12_2008.html

as you see its far behind "game graphics", as volume rendering is that easy as having triangles, so not much "time" left for fancy surface effects, still I tried to add the most important ones. There is also the danger of doing too much "detail/realism" and then the user might think it really is that way, when many things cannot be extracted from CT, like surface injuries...
One can also paint decals on the volume surface, make simple fly-thru animations... mostly it is for patient education, and getting a "3d" impression from the normal 2d CT slices.
I am working (besides other stuff) on commercially exploiting a similar project, which is a bit like inverse zbrush, where doctors "shave" tissue away.

Replies