Home Technical Talk

3d Max hotkeys questions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
Hi, I'm starting to relearn 3d max and setting up my own hotkeys for it and was just wondering a few things;

1) In Silo, ASDF = sub object mode hotkeys to quickly go from vertex to face etc. I've brought this into max to replace 12345 and it works fine, so I was going to edit 12345 to do some other stuff and apparently it cant be done.
I've tried to change "loop, ring, grow and shrink" to 1234 and even after saving changes and all, 1234 are still subobject hotkeys (the other hotkeys I changed work fine).
Are 12345 hardcoded into max or something, making them unreplaceable?

Also when I do bind them to ASDF, they work with a toggle-behaviour, so if I hit A I go into vertex mode, and if I hit A again it goes back to object mode. But the 12345 work differently, if I hit 1 it stays in vertex mode and you cant toggle it. I actually prefer it that way, anyone know how I can change ASDF to be non-toggle-able? They are the same hotkey on the customize menu so I have no idea why it does that.

One solution would be just to use 12345 as my default... but I use these keys quite often and I find ASDF easier, while leaving 12345 for lesser used keys.

2) Can multiple actions be binded to the same key? Like context-sensitive, so when I'm in the UV editor I can use the same hotkeys I use for extruding, cutting, collapsing etc in poly mode for UV-specific hotkeys like aligning and relaxing.

I really dont like using ctrl/shift/alt for tools that I use a lot, these hotkeys are mainly left for moderately used tools like saving, selecting all (the default stuff)
I also dislike spreading the keys across the whole keyboard but I will if theres no other choice.

3) Is there any way to change the camera zoom and rotate to be like Maya/Mudbox/Silo/Roadkill where you can alt+right click to zoom instead of using scroll wheel and alt+left click to rotate view? Im using logitech G5 and the middle mouse button isn't that comfortable when used as much as I do in 3d max so after a few hours modelling in 3d max my finger starts hurting. I see that digitalraster (makers of NEX) has a plugin called "Switcher" that makes this possible along with some other maya-like tools, just wandering if theres an easier/cheaper (ahem free*) alternative before buying it?

Oh, and thanks alot to MoP for those UV scripts (http://www.greveson.co.uk/scripts/mopTools.ms), cba bumping that old thread up so you get your thanks in this one instead, I know you'll read this post anyway :p

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Just re-binding ASDF to Sub-Object Level 1234 (Personally I think you should also put "cycle" on G) doesn't work?

2) Keyboard Shortcut Override Toggle. It toggles between two keyboard schemes. to set keys in override mode check the box that says "Overrides Active" in the Customize User Interface > Keyboard tab.

I know a few people script a custom button/keyboard shortcut that turns on the override and launches the UV editor window.

3) Ctrl + Alt + MMB drag to zoom.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oddly enough, Max binds the 1,2,3,4,5 keys to be context sensitive by default. So even if you changed their binding in one place, they may still be bound elsewhere (check the Editable Poly section in the customize UI window).

And yeah, you can use the same key for multiple things, just assign the same key in two different (exclusive) categories. For example you can never be in Editable Poly and Unwrap UVW at the same time, so you can use the same key for different actions in those categories.

And yes, I did read this post. :D
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay, I had no idea about those groups and that each group have their own set of hotkeys. I just left it on "Main UI" because I thought that had everything in it - and it does, which is why its annoying since some of the exclusive group hotkeys override the main ui (such as 12345), making the main UI group rather useless -.-

Well this solves my first 2 questions at least!

Err after further investigation, I have discovered a Edit Poly group as well as a Editable Poly... They have identical hotkeys in them... whats the point of seperating the hotkeys from Editable Poly, I'm guessing whoever is going to customise their editable poly hotkeys would prefer those same hotkeys to apply to the Edit Poly modifier.... argh, my head is exploding!

vig;

I don't think "cycle" is all that useful, I feel more in control when jumping from vertex to face etc rather than cycling until it gets there. It will just be an extra useless key if used with the other sub object hotkeys imo

I was playing around with this keyboard shortcut override tool and looking it up in the reference files, it does not appear to do what you said;

"Overrides Active
    When on, holding keys for boldface shortcuts in the Edit Poly and Editable Poly groups overrides standard functionality. For example, while editing an Editable Poly object at the Polygon sub-object level, pressing and holding Shift+Ctrl+B activates the Bevel tool temporarily, overriding the current operation."

It says "pressing and holding", so that means the purpose of this is to temporarily use a tool and not have it on constantly. Like holding Z to extrude things, and then letting go of Z to stop. Just tested it to confirm as well so maybe you're thinking about something else that toggles between 2 keyboard schemes :p

well it dont matter anymore, its solved now

and ctrl+alt+MMB is not a solution :( I was already whining at how much I had to use the MMB to rotate, the main problem was the use of the MMB, not the feel of the zoom. Alt + 3 mouse buttons should be the navigation tools just like Maya/Silo/Mudbox defaults, and even if they arent default in max there should at least be option to change it :(

Thanks for the help!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to use Maya-style controls in Max, you could get the Switcher plugin from DigitalRaster, it allows Maya controls in Maya.

And as for "there should be an option to change it", tell the same to Maya, I want to customize my mouse buttons in that app too :)
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, Ctrl-Alt-MMB and drag isn't zooming for me. Is there something I need to switch to get that to work? I've been trying to get something like that to work for about an hour and I can't seem to find an answer. Thanks! :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl; strange, ctrl+alt+mmb works fine for me with default settings... on a side note, I bought the switcher plugin from digitalraster (3 months ago), so "problem" solved
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I realized ctrl+alt+mmb is letting me zoom, but its just by very small increments and I was working on a large model :P