Home General Discussion

A Helpful Tip for Cintiq Owners...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
If this needs moved to technical talk then by all means please do. I just wanted to share a solution with Cintiq owners or potential Cintiq owners to make their lives a lil' easier.

I spent the past hour or so banging my head on the desk trying to figure out why I couldn't see my cursor on my Cintiq. I have 3 of 4 displays hooked up to my box right now running 2 Nvidia 8800 GT video cards that are overclocked and I'm running Windows Vista 64 bit for my OS. The desktop appears fine on each with their independent views with resolutions correct. Turns out that if you have the tablet PC service disabled in Vista (which I did because I'm not using a tablet pc and thus was unnecessary) then the Wacom Virtual Hid Driver will cause the issue of not seeing your cursor on the Cintiq. This is true even though the cursor isn't shown the Cintiq still registers your stylus...even the pressure. Turns out the Virtual Hid Driver is the one that controls handwriting recognition with a tablet pc and comes turned on by default when you install your drivers from Wacom. I called tech support and asked if by disabling the Virtual Hid Driver would I be disturbing anything that would effect my usage of the Cintiq in sculpting in Zbrush or Mudbox and painting in Photoshop. They said no and what I had found was a known bug with the most current and existing drivers and that they were working to fix it but the Virtual Hid Driver should be disabled if not using a tablet pc.

That's my story of how I found my cursor on my Cintiq again. Hope that this being around may save somebody else the headache in the future.

PS - You can find the Wacom Virtual Hid Driver located under Human Interface Devices in your Device Manager. Just right click and select disable and then reboot.