Home General Discussion

Did polycount get a steroid injection this last month or so?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
Yeah wtf!

The quality has just kicked into overdrive recently here, everyone ought
to give themselves a big old pat on the back!

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I think its because we're surrounded by top notch artists like yourself mr Johnstone :P

I gotta say that I've been really impressed with Adam Brome's work as of late, I mean his work is constant inspiration material for me, but that Facade Challenge entry he did, blew me away, same as with EricV's.

So yuh, I think polycount's professionals (such as yourselves) are continuing to set the bar higher and higher, and we try our hardest to be a couple steps behind, but now I feel like I need to start running :P

Merci Polycount :)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i think the beginner/pro courve (function of time) is like a smoothed sawtooth graph
    people get better and better, and the comming awesomeness attracts people to start, wich leads some of them to get pro themselves, so it seems we are at a high point now, but soon there will be alot of people asking for basics again^^
    (i dont mean me, im no modeler, im a coder in real life^^)
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Vitamins. Lots of vitamins.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    We've had a few old familiar names pop up out of the murky depths recently, invariable with awesome pro work to show, but along with that I've noticed a lot of new faces sharing awesome models and textures.

It's cool!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Inhibition of natural hormones and liver damage? Rage? Shrinking testicles?

...some sick stuff in the p&p lately though yea. The blend between film and game artists must also have had an affect on the massive amount of artists in the forums lately.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    oh god, so is that why Ive got hairy palms!?!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i'm an exception. i don't do drugs
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I think someone has been looking at the Faces to names thread to much! :P

:)

Yeh the work lately has been mindblowing and I like it!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    definitely, alot of people are just working really really hard.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    agreed. lot of nice work lately.
    good job everyone!

Dont pat your own back too much and keep it coming for even better stuff!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    It's a good motivator when your fellow polycounters are posting up killer stuff. Makes me want to try all the harder. Good job all keep after it.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    need to win the lottery so I can just sit on my fat ass and learn stuff for the sake of learning it. I have so little time to work on anything at home, and sadly the position I'm in at my current job is not exactly leading edge art design in gaming.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    dt_212_steroids_m3.jpg

but no seriously the people here have been doing some awesome work on here, its kinda inspiring and makes me want to push myself harder then before. I just hope I can get to the level of some of the pros on here soon :)
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    being here has been a great help to me in the past year, but it also serves as a reminder that I have a long way to go before I can even think I'd be ready to work in the front lines of modern gaming.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight wrote: »
    being here has been a great help to me in the past year, but it also serves as a reminder that I have a long way to go before I can even think I'd be ready to work in the front lines of modern gaming.

He posted what I was going to say...I have not been modeling long but this place has been my main source of crits and inspiration, so I thank you all...
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea the work on polycount gets more inspirational as the days go by!
    good motivation. one day i hope to be among some of the great pro artists on these boards!

will always remember the people here at PC who helped me, and those who will help me in the future!

cheers guys

this place is gooooooood stuff =D
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I have to second that. It was a lot because of the inspiration on these boards that I managed to push myself enough to get a job in the industry. On the unfortunate side, since I got my job I haven't had time or/and the energy to be active here much since then..
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Right on guys, it's really awesome to see everyones skillset improving daily. I think more people should utilize the sketchbook forum to just dump their work in to without worry about completing it, getting critiques, etc etc but to at least go back and see how you're improving.

And to those who complain about lack of time... I don't quite get it.

I work 8 hours a day, spend time with my fiance, play TF2 every night, work on Polycount and am giving Fred a hand organizing the Unearthly Challenge, but I can still find the time to work persistently work on my portfolio.

Mind you, I do get roughly 6 or 7 hours of sleep on weeknights and 10 hours on Saturday night, but I think its totally doable to maintain your personal work all while having an actual life.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    adamBrome wrote: »
    And to those who complain about lack of time... I don't quite get it.
    Because of work and commuting I had roughly 7-9 hours to spare when I got home from work until I had to get out of bed and go to work again, and I honestly had no intention of sitting down in front of a computer at that point, because I need roughly 7 hours of sleep every night to function properly.

I have absolutely no problem what so ever to "get" why people sometimes don't have time to work on their own art.

[EDIT] I might add that I've since moved and now live a 5 minute walk from work, and with the project wrapped up (new one in steady-paced pre production) I will have time to work on my portfolio again :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I am pretty delightful.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    for some reason this thread has me wanting to get a bunch of greentooth beer glasses made
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Ferg wrote: »
    for some reason this thread has me wanting to get a bunch of greentooth beer glasses made

yes!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ferg wrote: »

Whaddya mean?