Home General Discussion

Podcasts

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
Yeah do any of you guys listen to any podcasts? whenever i am modeling i tend to open up a podcast. Usually i try to keep it game dev oriented.

My two favorite ones has to be the insomniac podcast and the bungie podcast. Seeing that i have listened to all there pod casts i was wondering if anyone else knows of any other very good/ very funny ones?

Insomniac games podcast link:
http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast/podcast.php

Bungie podcast link:
http://www.bungie.net/Inside/content.aspx?link=bungiepodcasttime

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The various 1up podcasts are pretty good. Not gamedev, per se, though:
    GFW Radio (Shawn Elliot in particular) almost never fails to crack me up.
    1up Yours
    Retronauts is fun if you know the game/franchise they're talking about that week.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I still subscribe to the Full Moon Show and Bungie's podcasts, but I rarely ever listen to them anymore.

I do listen religiously to Capcom's Top Secret: The Bionic Commando Podcast.

Other than that there's GFW Radio, which is my favourite podcast. They don't talk about games all that much anymore, but that's not important as the dynamic between the hosts is awesome.

Also from the 1UP network there's 1UP Yours. They do talk a lot about games, but unfortunately they have Shane Bettenhausen who's more of a Sony PR rep than an enthusiast press member. I got fed up with it a couple of months ago and haven't really listened to them again until recently.

All in all I subscribe to about 25 podcasts that I listen to regularly. Not going to mention them all, but a few good ones that aren't game related are Security Now!, a security podcast with security guru Steve Gibson and tech entusiast and podcast king, Leo Laporte. Also Buzz Out Loud, a daily CNet technology podcast.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Penny Arcade has a podcast. Not game dev specifically, but pretty decent. I listen to tons of podcasts, but most of them are science news related so I can't be of all that much help.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I'm the same. 1upyours, GFW, 1upfm, the Bungie podcast. The pranks the GFW guys get up to are great. If you haven't heard the GFW guys, I suggest you look up any episode involving whiskey nerd. Quality.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I listen to nearly everyone mentioned.
    1Up FM is the new podcast on the site to replace the EGM podcast, and it seems to be off to a good start although very dry.
    I also recommend the Totally Rad Show.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SModcast - Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier's podcast. Fun meandering rambles from the dudes who made Clerks, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob, etc.

Modcast - Luxology's weekly modo podcast. Only really relevant if you're a modo user (and even then it can be a bit off-topic).

Comic Geek Speak - I occasionally listen to this one. I'm not the biggest reader of comics, but the ones with Uncle Sal in are awesome, the dude's funny as hell.

Other than that, I've never really gotten into the whole podcast thing.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really listen to podcasts, but ever since the Natural Selection guys switched to a podcast rather than regular blog, I've been following that: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    gfw is the best one out there. hands down.
    besides the other 1up podcasts.....i listen to 'game theory' sometimes.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Game Theory can be pretty interesting if they have good guests, but I think it kinda went downhill when it branched from Next-gen.biz. I'm sure Colin and Gary are cool guys, but in the podcast they often just come off sounding like pretentious dicks ;) (EDIT: And no, it's not just because of the accents :P)

You might want to look into the back catalog of Gaming Steve's podcasts, from when he had time to make them. They were really informative, and had some fun anecdotes and interviews with insights into the industry.
  • jpgourley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GFW is my favorite as well. I've listened to almost every other gaming podcast but have trimmed it down to GFW and a couple of the other 1up podcasts (Legendary Thread, 1up Yours).
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Haha yeeeup the GFW podcast is definitely on my favorites, but for non-game podcasts I enjoy the Sick and Wrong Podcast @ sickandwrongpodcast.com, not for the weak of stomach but I have a similar sense of humor as the two hosts on that show, and they run a tight podcast. I also listen to the BJ Shea show and The Mens Room podcasts, both local shows on the Seattle rock station KISW @ kisw.com.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. So I consider myself a "podcast listener". I work monday through friday, 6 hours a day and listen probably 5 hours a day to podcasts. Here is what I listen to:

- Bungie podcast
    - Xbox 360 Fancast
    - Major Nelson Radio
    - IGN's Three Red Lights
    - The Bigcast (Bigdownload.com)
    - Platform Biased
    - Gamertag Radio

All of these are updated on almost weekly except the Bungie Podcast.