Home General Discussion

I just got a random ass phone call ...

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
Like at 7:45 pm today, I got this call from a recruiter through some creative consultant from California ... couldn't quite make out the name of the consulting firm .. or whatever kind of company he was with.

He had my resume, website, and everything and was wondering if I could work for Zombie Studios, because there was a job up that sounded as if it were a good match for my skill set.

It sounded somewhat shady, and unfourtunally for him (and perhaps me) I have no documented studio experience so he kind of lost his steam.

It was just very bizarre to get a phone call on a Saturday Afternoon from a random recruiter. I don't know whether I should be excitied about this, because people are finally looking at my work ... or if I should be scared that random people have my resume >_>

Replies

• JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I actually removed my phone number from all of my info online because something like this happened many years ago. I don't like random calls.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah when i revamp my site my number and address are coming off lol
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations, you've been headhunted!!!

Cold calls from recruiters are lame, definitely more gracious to send an email first asking if you're interested in a chat.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    you should email your port. to zombie and see if you can't land that job, zombies in seattle wa though.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    LOL I got that same phonecall. Got me off of monster.
    So far I've had zero luck with recruiters, largely because they just look for keywords rather than understand what the job entails.

The post he's trying to recruit for is "Lead Level Designer", but the way the recruiter presented it made it sound like a modeling position.
    From his email
    "My Client is seeking experienced and passionate Lead Level Designer to work on a new title at our Seattle studio. We are looking for an Team Lead with knowledge of 3D Studio Max or Maya and Unreal Engine. Desire to create great games is a plus!

The Lead Level Designer will work closely with the Design Team, along with all departments involved in the project. The ideal candidate will have 2-5 years experience in the creating levels and scripting cinematic sequences using in-game art. Must be comfortable working within a large team, along with being a mature, self-starter. "

There's a few other art jobs available at zombie, environment and FX, so you might apply if your folio matches what they're looking for.
    http://www.zombie.com/jobs.htm
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i got that call on Friday night. Mine was from Monster as well.:D
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    The best is when you get those calls at work, on your work phone line. I asked one of them "who are you with, again?" and he hung up on me.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I've been called once or twice on my private number, which I list on my site. But the overwhelming amount of recruiter calls go to my work line, which I don't list anywhere.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get those calls anymore. I'm not young and sexy anymore :( I'm wise and awesome.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I got one of these calls in Japanese. Turned out they wanted my work for a magazine, it's not all bad if you hear them out sometimes.

Although in saying that, if they are coy I usually hang up in the first 5 seconds
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I got a call at work from Midway Chicago recruiter once, no idea how they got my info but I LOL'ed at the irony.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I don't get those calls anymore. I'm not young and sexy anymore :( I'm wise and awesome.

you're still sexy, baby.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    yes i got the same call on friday for zombie studios,
    said he found me off monster,
    i played along and all,
    so he forwarded my resume he said,
    i dont expect much,lol
  • matt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matt3d polycounter lvl 12
    My first headhunted call came last week as I finish up an art internship at a small game company. 9 month contract for Bungie, and I too felt it was a tad shady, dedicating 30-40 hours on an art asset for someone i'd never met over the phone. Screw it, a week later I submitted my asset and it's wait and see time!
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    So with you guys getting calls for jobs at midway and zombie, do they work for the companies or are they just trying to get their cut on any and every game job out there?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Just cut out the middle man and apply to Zombie directly if at all possible. A lot of recruiters make their livings simply forwarding your resume to companies whom are hiring. A lot of companies know that they are just shmucks.

Do you want a shmuck doing your talking for you, when they are often times absolutely full of shit and the companies know this? Or might you want to get someone more qualified, who might know your capabilities and desires a bit better? Maybe someone like... Yourself?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    J Randall:
    Yeah they just comb monster and other sites for keywords listed in profiles. In this case "maya, 3d studio max, and Unreal Engine 3". They work for other companies who are paid if the main company hires someone they refer in. Sometimes these agencies are contracted by the main company to find them people, sometimes they aren't.

The recruiters often have next to no idea what they're actually recruiting for but they can match words like a champ. Anyone who knew a thing about what goes into a "lead level designer" position wouldn't have taken the time to call me.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I got a phone call once claiming having got my info from Monster....next time I'm removing the phone number too....it's like leaving your address online too, not the safest thing.

Cold calls are almost as outdated as submitting VHS demo reels in my opinion.

Still if someone emailed you requesting a chat and you can find out about their credentials it prolly wouldn't hurt to hear them out.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    yeah the random call i got friday is back on monday,
    he left a voice message and 4 missed calls,
    i was out side doing some yard work for a few hrs was all,
    jeeze this dude creeps me out,
    i gave him my resume to forward,what more,lol
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    I used to get called at work all the time. These guys would open up a game that shipped about 1~2 months ago, look through the credits and call the people in there. They'd call the front desk of the studio and just ask for the employee and get handed through!

Now, the receptionist will ask who's calling and they rarely get through, but I still get the occasional email which is easily deleted.