Home Technical Talk

huge recovery file

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
i worked on skinning an object, the file crashed and i continued working on the file
but max slowed down rapidly, and i watched the filesize and it was 120mib, the orginalfile was 4mib

so tehre must be something wrong, does someone know how i can get the recovered file back to 4 mb or something?

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Are you skinning with Biped?

Max 9 (maybe the newer versions too) had a glitch where when u copied a collection (for posing), it would duplicate that collection many many times.

It may be too late at this point, but try an Autoback file: it might have saved a smaller version before crash.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the outback file is the one im using

i did it, hitting the delete all collections buttn worked, but is the problem solved now?
    i mean, i have to change the pose for checking if the skin modifier works right
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Once you delete the collections, you should be able to recreate new ones w/o Max duping them again. Keyword: should.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I've been hurt by this glitch before too, so don't worry, I know your pain only too well.
    What they've mentioned is almost certainly the problem, and yes deleting all collections fixes it completely. The only thing is you'll have to keep an eye on the file size or collections every once in a while to make sure it's not repeating the same glitch again.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, max runs in an usable speed again^^