Home Technical Talk

modeling rock candy? (max or maya)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
i'm having some difficulties perfecting a weapon i'm modeling for a troll. its a rock candy mace.
heres some refs and concept:
rock_candy.jpg

blog_colored_troll.jpg

been messing around with compound/scatter object in max and this is the best i've come up with:
scatter.jpg

i'm not too pleased with it, and i'm not familiar with modifiers too much--anyone got any suggestions to better create this effect?
-also i'm keeping it lower poly - under 250-200 tris would be nice
-thanks!

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    well think of them as crystals like the ones in starcraft that interlock together instead of clumps of squares. If you need it to be that low model a volume that is like a bat and make the texture do most of the work. Try making a high poly version ofr lack of a better term and give it a shader. Make it look like glass to do this you might get away with just using to version of the shader, one slightly more transparent than the other.

So make a cube. Make a copy of that cube, give them a noise map for the bump. Make the copy of the cube slightly smaller. You can add a few spheres inside with the same glass material to face bubble shapes. Clone that so it makes a cylinder shape. Then clone that shape so it looks like a tube. Then taper the tube shape with a modifier, like say taper or a lattice. Worst case you have to do it by hand. Your high poly should look like a club

Now make a low poly for the shape of the volume as best you can, then bake that to the low poly weapon. If you can't do that then render a view as a base of a texture that you can clone in photoshop. There you have something that looks like a crystal club. Maybe.

Alex

Hope that gives you ideas.

Alex
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    In zbrush I did something that looked a bit similar once to try and make rocks, by just using the fastmallet brush, and quickly alt-clicking in different areas, gives this kind of result:
    http://born-robotic.net/stuff/zbmallet.jpg
    Could probably do something better by configuring the brush a bit, I just left the default settings there. Hope that helps.