Home General Discussion

Cool Ideas thread

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
Hi guys, I had this cool idea today and i thought it would be cool to see what you guys can come up with. any cool idea goes, as long as it is cool and (according to you) possible within the next 10 years. Shouldn't be as vague as: "a jetpack would be cool", but a little more detailed.

Ok, so here is my idea:
What if you where able to make music by dancing/moving? I imagine this as some sort of game/software that translates your movements to sounds. So you wear a suit or are filmed or something, and the program translates different moves to different tunes. So if you move shocky/fast it will become fast-paced music. and if you move slowly and curvy you'll get lounge music.
what do you think? fun?

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Google for a bit, it's been done in various ways. Not in a real game form, but there are several video-analysing audio-setups, and then ofcourse there's the use of the wiimote as a musical 'instrument', usually controlling parameters (beats per minute, pitch, filters, etc...) of a synth.
    Maybe have a look over at createdigitalmusic.com, they report on this stuff quite often, maybe they'll have a tag for it.

Nevertheless, in ideas like this there'll always be lag, and if it has to analyse the speed and 'curvy-ness' of motion, things could get frustratingly unrepresentative awfully fast, since it obviously can't computer that realtime without jumping all over the place.
    The difficult thing will be to make the user feel as if he's actually in control.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    a tiny elephant to play with.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I wish cool gadgets would be cheaper and easier to distribute for games. Would be neat with one of those helmets that can tell what you are looking at. You could make a lot of cool stuff with that.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    a heads up display for your eyes.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think it would be cool if there were more Game Developers, less pricks trying to ruin the world and Publishers would let Game Developers make great games instead of just trying to make a lot of money quickly. That's it. Ohh all 3d software were more user friendly in a good way not just useless eye candy.

A friendly mini size tiger that doesn't kill you ever and isn't needy and very affordable.

Alex
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    a tiny elephant to play with.

I think I have seriously wondered why we don't have tiny elephants about once a month for the past 5 years or so.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Giant bunny. Bigger than a hare, even. Like at least double-hare size. Triple maybe. And its digestive system is so efficient that it produces no waste at all whatsoever. It's a giant poopless bunny. When science makes them, I shall name mine Enormo and she will be my trusty steed.

Also a user-friendly standardized interface for custom-configuring laser tag equipment via wifi and/or bluetooth. You could use small memory cards (a mag-stripe would be enough) to hold the encoding information for the IR in the guns (to keep track of who fired, etc), and then the sensor vests would register the hits and send a wireless signal to the scorekeeping hub (which is also the mag-stripe encoder, so you swipe your gun's card and it counts you in as a player), which is connected wirelessly to your computer, which is where you set up the match rules, etc. I'm pretty sure that's almost how it works at LT arenas anyway, but the main difference is that these would be standardized consumer models, and they'd work with your home PC so you could set up your own multiplayer games with friends, AND use the same standard equipment in tournaments or larger formal matches. (And there would be tournaments all over the place, because people would be all about it if they could find enough space to play.)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fly: big enough for you?
    bigbunny.bmp
    giantrabbit2_bodmin-small.jpg

The Flemish Giant. Not huge, but still pretty fucking big for a rabbit, wouldn't you agree?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does it poop?

lol, some of the things here aren't really ideas, but they sure made me giggle :D.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I want a way to keep my stuff from gathering dust all the time(other than cleaning them of course). Maybe some tiny organisms which feed on dust and don't hurt humans. Oh wait, maybe a tiny elephant could do that. You know, they have trunks ;)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    A strategy game that focuses on the acquisition and exploitation of information. The game would have several units and structures that would allow you to expand what you can see and hear from the enemy. Many of the units would have the ability to conceal or camouflage themselves within the environment. (go to ground) Units farther away from the main base will not be able to coordinate as effectively if they don't have stable communications lines. But if those lines are built it would be easier for the enemy to tap into them and listen in.

Ideally, this would be applied to an on-line team-based multiplayer title. Individual players would command squadrons of troops as part of an overall army. (their team) I'm thinking 4 vs 4 for smaller skirmishes, and 16 vs 16 for big battles. Whichever player serves as the commander has to remain at base and supervise communication and resources. The overhead map that the commander can access will only have the fog of war cleared for areas that the mobile squadrons can see or have erected structures to monitor.

Tools will be provided for tapping into enemy communications and exploiting them. For instance, an enemy squad could succeed in cutting off an opposing squad's communications without alerting them, and then use their voice chat to send them erroneous information.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    magic powder that makes a severed finger grow back.

oh wait they can already do that:)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr wrote: »
    I want a way to keep my stuff from gathering dust all the time(other than cleaning them of course). Maybe some tiny organisms which feed on dust and don't hurt humans. Oh wait, maybe a tiny elephant could do that. You know, they have trunks ;)
    they can actually do that! they studied the surface structure of the lotus flower(and its leaves) because a lotus never gets wet. They where able to make an airbrush that sprays such a structure on something, and makes in so that it doesn't attach to stuff. so you can hold it under water and it won't get wet at all, or if some sand collects on top of it you just flush it off with some water. :D.
    if your capable of reading/watching dutch: linky clicky hery
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Every week, without fail, every Polycounter would win the lottery.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    pliang wrote: »
    Every week, without fail, every Polycounter would win the lottery.
    pliang for president! Make this happen, yo! I needz teh fundz.
    :D

-caseyjones
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Potato + scuba = best idea ever!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    The Lazy-Man Ultimate Artist Tool!!!!!tm

This little idea I come up with every time I get frustrated that the art I see in my head isn't what I put down on paper, or on the computer, etc.

Basically, it's some sort of machine that links to your mind and can read the images from your head, then trasnfer them into a physical and visual medium. Meaning, all you have to do is come up with some super-cool idea in your head, no matter how complicated and crazy it may be, and viola! The lazy-man artist tool 5000 creates it for you, with no worry that your skill level isn't high enough to do the image in your mind justice.

No, I have no idea how this could technically work... I'm an artist, not an engineer. I'm only here to make crazy ideas, not know how they could actually work.

A little elephant buddy would be awesome too. I'd call the species 'Pygmy Elephants' and name mine Bob.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I want 3D sculpting software with the option to add more clay...so you want an arm on that torso sculpt?, just add a blob of clay and push it near the arm socket and it smooshes together :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    dream and memory playback blogs
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Japhir, it's nice to see that's possible by using appropriate materials. But I think the tiny cleaner elephant would be much more fun. It could water the garden too lol
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz: what's the viola got to do with anything?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Mezz wrote: »
    A little elephant buddy would be awesome too. I'd call the species 'Pygmy Elephants' and name mine Bob.

There is already a species called Pygmy Elephants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmy_elephant

pygmy-elephant-cool-pet-picture.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, according to this wikipedia page linked to off of that one, it looks like all we have to do to make tiny elephants is move some regular elephants to an island and let them evolve down into smaller ones. So then theoretically, if the small ones are moved to an even smaller island, they'll start making even smaller elephants. With enough incrementally smaller islands, tiny elephants could evolve in no time!
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A piece of software/AI that takes the place of your operating system and all apps. It's modular with heaps of different basic functions and interfaces that can be used as bases to make any piece of software. You specify a task and how you want to achieve it then it evolves into an app to meet your needs. Through the internet it gathers stats on everyone's applications and finds the most successful executions and instantly updates the software for everyone. Also it shares computing power so its like one big massive thing and its really fast, always connected and evolving and updating to your needs. Also it standardizes file formats for all applications created for the same task so that people doing the same thing can share files ect...
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Mezz: what's the viola got to do with anything?

A little fairy that sits on my shoulder and does spell checking for me would be nice too. So that "voila!" wouldn't be spelled like an instrument... :shifty:

And pygmy elephants already exist?! Damn, so then can I not use the name Bob either?!? Why, cruel world...
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    Well i got a sweet idea for a game kinda crazy and would take forever to do :P wouldn't mass effect make an awesome MMORPG! there so much rich story in that game and so much info about everything im surprised they didnt make an mmo! i know for a fact biowares making an MMORPG and its too bad its not a mass effect mmorpg :(