Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - EricV

bluekangaroo
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys, I just recently created a wordpress and uploaded all my work to it...since I dont know any html or even where to begin when making a site this seems like the best way to get my stuff out there as well as keeping it up to date when I have new pieces to add to it. Its still needs a little fine tuning but I'd say I'm close to happy with it

Comments and or critique on the work/layout/possible typos/presentation/anything is most welcome

Replies

• RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Too much scrolling involved so far, I'd consider making the site a little wider, less space given to the Pages section on the right. Then having 3-4 smaller, more focused thumbnails across the page. I'd imagine you could get all your work viewable with half the scrolling if this were the case.
    Disabling the snapshots popup thing would also be a god send.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Large renders should pop up a new window, i always hate when i'm viewing someone's site, click a render, then close it and i'm out of that tab that had the site in it... doh
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Everything appears to be in order, sir.

I'm always curious why people have "contact" pages. Contact information should be clearly presented in portfolio and resume so it always seems redundant. That's not so much directed at you, but everyone that does that.

You may consider watermarking your images. A simple name, email or web site address in the corner is great. Not that goofy shit where people put their name all over the images. Even worse, when they call their portfolio site "something-something studios" and diagonal tile all over their images. Classic.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Large renders should pop up a new window, i always hate when i'm viewing someone's site, click a render, then close it and i'm out of that tab that had the site in it... doh

ah i see what u mean...I always just middle mouse click my thumbs/links so it opens a new tab. I assumed thats how most people browse anyways. I fucking hate clicking a link, going back n forth back n forth...
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    Everything appears to be in order, sir.

I'm always curious why people have "contact" pages. Contact information should be clearly presented in portfolio and resume so it always seems redundant. That's not so much directed at you, but everyone that does that.

ya i guess im guilty of following the flock o nthat one... =/
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too much scrolling involved so far, I'd consider making the site a little wider, less space given to the Pages section on the right. Then having 3-4 smaller, more focused thumbnails across the page. I'd imagine you could get all your work viewable with half the scrolling if this were the case.
    Disabling the snapshots popup thing would also be a god send.

any ideas on how to do that? Im kinda set with the theme I got going...its one of the few black/grey themes wordpress has, and as far as I can see theres no way to edit without paying
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i also use the middleclick button to browse lots of pics that i want to see. lol. hence my rsi .ahah
    . anywho. i like the site. its pretty straightforward. if you can you should put like 2 thumbs per row or 3. so it doesnt scrool that much. other than that. its cool. since its wordpress, the contact and resume are aceptable as they are.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    EricV wrote: »
    any ideas on how to do that? Im kinda set with the theme I got going...its one of the few black/grey themes wordpress has, and as far as I can see theres no way to edit without paying

I took a quick look through the free themes and it looks like you're doing as well as you can with the versions available. You might try going into the settings area and having the front page display a static page instead of all your posts. Then you could make one page with thumbnails leading to each post. That would a bit more of the standard layout.

Your work looks great. I love that NYC facade, and the other pieces all stand up well. Good luck :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    For the contact info, just do what I did...add a text widget, so it always resides in your side bar. Widgets are under the design tab, and HTML works fine in it.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Kary said, use pages instead of posts, this way you don't have any of those "Posted in" & "comments off" announcements. You can also turn off that annoying snapshot popup in the settings.
    Then you can use thumbnails that are 100px wide and have 3 across no problem when using the html editor.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Kary said, use pages instead of posts, this way you don't have any of those "Posted in" & "comments off" announcements. You can also turn off that annoying snapshot popup in the settings.
    Then you can use thumbnails that are 100px wide and have 3 across no problem when using the html editor.

ahh Ok I turned off snapshots but really didnt notice any difference? Im not even sure I understand what they are

"Snap Shots is an open, extensible platform for creating, sharing, and distributing contextually relevant content. "

translation anybody?

also; spanks for the tip snowfly
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The difference is that the awful pop-up thing doesn't appear everytime you hover over a thumbnail anymore :P
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hun, wierd i didnt even notice any pop ups b4
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    For the contact info, just do what I did...add a text widget, so it always resides in your side bar. Widgets are under the design tab, and HTML works fine in it.

Oh also, how did u make it that your concept art page/link at the top has the same url as your main page?

I want to have something similar but it wont allow me to edit the permalink...
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go. Got nothing to do with the permalink... :)

Dashboard > Settings > Reading > Front Page Displays > A Static Page > ___
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooooOOOO awesome, thank you!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eq, noob, middle-click that shit.
    "I can't work the internet, someone help me!"
    At least it's not a lightbox where you can't open anything in tabs or save the image (as that's how some lightboxes stupidly work). I love the presentation of the weapons. Nice way of showing how it might look ingame in terms of placement, while minimising visual clutter. Looks nice.
    The cabinet's a bit sharp-looking, I think. I notice you've bevelled the edges, but in the silhouette it still looks razor-sharp. Now I realise it's metal, but some bits where the edge is dented and softer would look good, and widening the entire bevel might look good from afar. Mild over-exageration could work well there. If you float the handles, you've got a few more polygons to spare to take little nicks out of the straight-edged silhouette. If a few polygons are even a concern, ofcourse. I'd personally focus the detail much higher, as the tiny wheels now take up a large chunk of your budget, while they're the furthest away from the player's point of view.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget, the best WTF AMAZING! Work goes up top for the first impression.
    Considering how much you seem to have learnt lately, I'd go back and make quick simple tweaks to that tool cabinet that'll bump it up to the quality of the rest. Most notably the things Pea has already mentioned, the edges look bevelled but at the tiniest amount which seems utterly pointless. Put some natural weathering and specular highlights on those corners.

You & SnowFly inspired me to take up the wordpress in the early hours of today :p
    It actually proved to be quite fun.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pea&Razor ...

I would have to agree with the toolchest about the beveling thing...I did recently update the textures and threw it into unreal to get it up to par with some of my other work but I guess it still needs a lil work...

But for any1 who cares to look, I updated the site, and made revisions to the main page/layout based on suggestions....its got a lot less scrolling and its a little more organized. cool beans, zmore friendly?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    awesome work. You might want to show the texture pages for everything as well.

Alex
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The site looks great now, very elegant, and I really like those sub pages. Just watermark those full size images with your web address or email address and you're set.