Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Gun

Hey guys,

Here is a hand gun that I have been working on and would like some input on it.

WireFrame
Hand_Gun_Wire.jpg

Textured
Hand_Gun_Full.jpg

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the concept of this a lot - it has a sort of anime feel to it. The geo is okay, but there's some definite inconsistency in your poly distribution. Small parts are getting lots of polies, and large parts are getting few.

I tried to round out what the general detail level seems to be going for, and highlighted some edges that don't seem to be doing anything. Bear in mind, all I can see is what's in the screen - I don't have the actual model so I can't be positive if these are serving purposes or not.

There's some odd use of crashing that I can't quite make out enough to suggest any changes for. It looks a bit crazy - don't let it discourage you; most is just optimizing edges - simple things. I wouldn't do this if I didn't think it was worth it. (:

CSmi-hand_gun-suggestions.jpg
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    oh great critique, just what I was thinking.

What about baking in some AO (ambient occlusion) and making the textures torn in appropiate areas to make it more intresting.

The circels on the sides polycount can be reduced by making quads insteads of all those triangles meeting in the middle.

I like the idea with the lamps but the big one that goes over the magazine (or where a normal revolvers bullets are) im not a fan of.

GL CSmi
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    This gun has some potential. Right now though it looks really xbox / ps2 ish days of quality.

This gun would benefit huge and so would your portfolio if you would learn high poly work flows and try to push the level of your work. You are not new to 3d and you have the basics down on how to make low poly it seems. Could still use some optimizing but yeah I would try to learn high poly if I were you.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    think more ergonomically with your handle. the trigger guard would not be very hand friendly.
    might look lots better with a magnum-esque grip:

norm-423c2d4bd7c4d-Trigun+%28TV%29+%281998%29.jpeg

also, you should think about your materials a bit more. Looks like you slapped some noise textures down, and threw some tech design bits on top.

think about things like funtionality, where grease goes, where it gets banged up more and where it gets banged up less. where would gunk collect, and so on.

as for the modeling, like mr. moody is saying, learn some highpoly sub-D stuff. You have a lot of flat surfaces, laying on top of flat surfaces, with only a small extrusion separating the two and as a result, it doesn't react to light in a realistic manner and screams ugly polygons. bevel some edges, get some nice rounded parts going etc etc.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3_18.jpg

I'm pretty sure you are basing it off this concept, probably would have been a good idea to mention that in your post.

If you put this piece in your portfolio, make sure you mention it then.

From what you've modeled there, it wouldn't be too hard to adjust it to create a high res mesh and bake out some normals for this thing, its always worth the effort.
    At the moment the grunge and wear looks uninspired you need to put some more thought into that, not just throw a grunge map on top. Think about the layers of paint and the different materials and how they would show through when scratched.
  • CSmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys. Yes TheSplash that is the concept I was working off of. I hope to have a updated a model soon for your guys.
  • CSmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys...here is a updated game mesh model of the gun.

Update_01.jpg
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Hey CSmi,

It's getting there. I think there still are some poly-distribution issues. In this latest screen, the big barrels probably don't need that many faces, you could probably afford to lose a bit of that. It's almost as if the barrels of the gun are made for a high poly mesh, and the rest of the gun, such as the handle and trigger area, are for a low poly mesh. You have the right idea about increasing the faces of the barrels from the way they were in the original screens you posted, but now it looks a bit too dense.

I agree about making a high poly version and rendering normals. The texture you have is a start, but much more can be done, especially with a normal map. Also, for some reason the handle looks a bit awkward to me.

I think the trigger should stick out just a little bit more, in that latest screen it looks like the trigger is being pulled by an invisible hand because it's so far back.

It's coming along though, keep it up.