Home General Discussion

Braid!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wells polycounter lvl 18
Anyone else grab this XBLA gem?

Fucking gorgeous game, with some of the best music/sound design I've seen[heard] in a video game. Shit is ridiculously good and entertaining. It's got a great humor about it as well, parodying/paying homage to some of the great tropes laid down by Mario. The dinosaur rules.

Game is also damn hard, which is nice.

"Braid is an ingenious and startlingly creative puzzle game, built with an understanding of good game design that even some of the industry's most revered figures could learn from."

Everyone should go play it.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm waiting on the pc version, which shouldn't be too far off. This is a game I've been looking forward to for a while now, and its release on xbla is just making me antsy.

Should be a nice classic little platformer, with the added element of the time-manipulation.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs... yah, grabbed it. It's a great brain twister, the art's fantastic, and the homages are a good laugh. I highly recommend it. :)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    been playing the Partner net version for a while, bought it the day it was released on XBLA :D

braid01.jpg

http://braid-game.com/
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Played the demo, seemed pretty good. Great art and sound, gameplay seemed pretty good, if simple and standard fair.

I think I'll probably pick it up here and see how it all goes.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The time based mechanics get more interesting as you go along. World 4 introduces a set of levels where time flows with the player - walking right causes things to move forward, left makes things flow backwards and standing still pauses time. Throw in a bunch of level elements that aren't affected by the temporal distortion and you've got a set of innovative and very tough puzzles.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Played the demo Thursday night, and loved it. Was thinking about buying it but hesitated because of the price.
    Bought it last night at 3am after getting home from the bar drunk and played until 6am. Was in a total zen state the whole time and ended up making it halfway through World 5 so being drunk didn't seem to affect me too much.

Really looking forward to The Misadventures of P.B. Winderbottom...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    picked it up last night too, this is a brilliant game. gorgeous backgrounds!

though, i cant figure out how to get some of the pieces in the first world... aargh, only missing 2 or 3.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    article on the art production and direction for braid. good read!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3753/the_art_of_braid_creating_a_.php
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    been playing it a bit, very cool, but I'm totally stumped on a couple levels. . .
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Totally buying this once this weeks school assignments are done. :D Completely finished "world 2" in the demo(got all the puzzle pieces), and checked out the first parts of 3 and 4. Love the gameplay. Timing based puzzles with control over time = sweet.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I just finished it. Got a LOT better as it went on, some great puzzle design, and the last level is phenominal.

Anyone else make it though?

If so, what'd you think of the end/epilogue?
    I wasn't able to read all the books. For instance, the first two in the first room, the red one I could read. Anyone else experience this?

Also, how did you interpret the meaning of the game? I think there were a lot of cool themes going on, though some could have been more clearly defined in my opinion. It seemed like there was some really good stuff, but the story telling was done pretty ham handedly. I definitely got vibes of the idea of the princess being a metaphor for atomic weaponry, and also got some of the more personal metaphors she stood for. Though I'll probably give the last level a bit of a replay and check out the epilogue again when I'm less tired before really thinking on it too much. :)

Overall, it was an excellent game, there needs to be more of this kind of thing around.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Tried it this weekend. Very beautiful and clever game. The puzzles were brilliant.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    still working through a few stumpers. I've cleared the first two worlds completely.
    the part where constructing the puzzle pieces actually made a ledge I could hop on/use blew my fucking mind.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Anyone else make it though?

If so, what'd you think of the end/epilogue?
    I did. I was pulling my hair out on 2 of the puzzle pieces, but eventually got them. Stupid world 5!

Game is the talk of the office here this morning.

I might try a speed run sometime this week. 45:00? I have no idea how tough or easy that will be. I tried the first world and did it in ~6 minutes. But that's the easy one.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir :
    open a red book and hide behind the foreground objects, he'll start singing and you'll have another point of view on the story, no clue about the green books, but I still have a few things to figure out and that may by my answer :p

spoiler abuse feedback :
    I have cleared all the worlds, now trying to get the secret stars, looks like it'll take some time though, plus I have to restart the game :(, some damn interesting puzzles though, especially liked world 6, 5 and 1 (the last one)

great game.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    Tried it this weekend. Very beautiful and clever game. The puzzles were brilliant.

OMG you bought a 360! welcome to the next-gen era!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    whens it out on proper next gen? (PC)
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Played the demo... I don't get what it's trying to do?

Ok it's mario formula, and by formula, I mean it's a Mario game with puzzels and Pop time stuff; that's fine, it's pretty fun.

But then it has this story with some pretty ugly(yes, just because it's different doesn't mean it's good looking) visuals that seem to have this air of pretense to it all...

So all I am left to wonder is, what's it trying to do? Ok fun game, but a rip of mario with this prentescious coating all over it, kind of comes off as the developer making a mario game for grown ups, but I don't think it's geling.

I dunno, I don't get it, I'd probably enjoy it more if they kept the gameplay, took out the mario references and lost the art direction and story.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not going to argue with you over the slightly pretentious air that surrounds the game. Jonothan Blow gives Derek Smart a run for his money, but if your product is good then you can get away with that to some degree. And Braid is a good game.

The unrepentant Mario tropes are there to get the player into the game quickly. You already know the Goombas and Piranha Plants and castle exits that don't have the princess in them, so theres no need for introuduction. You immediately understand how everything works so you can concentrate on the new stuff.

The time mechanic differs in each world. One has the time linked to the players movement as I mentioned in my previous post. Another has a shadow that appears and repeats your actions when you rewind time. Another gives the player an item to drop on the ground that has an area of time slowing effect. I suspect the demo might have been better received if the second set of puzzles were offered instead of the first, so that the player could better see the innovation in the puzzles that makes the game more than Mario with a reverse time mechanic.

I'm probably not going to convince you, but do know that theres more to the game than your initial impressions might suggest.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc wrote: »
    I dunno, I don't get it, I'd probably enjoy it more if they kept the gameplay, took out the mario references and lost the art direction and story.

Honestly, I had the same initial reaction as you, however I decided to go for the full thing anyways. (Except about the art, I'm pretty sure you have to be blind to think the art is ugly. Maybe it's not a style that appeals to you, but it is quite beautifully done)

It's worth it. The mario themes turn into a metaphor that is used in the story, the gameplay and design turns into things that are FAR beyond traditional mario play and are based far more in in-depth logical problem solving and although it does seem a bit pretentious at first (I'm still not sure what to think of John Blow) it actually works itself out very well.

I dunno, maybe it's not for everyone, but this is a fantastic little game, and one that a lot of other games could learn from.

There is a reason it's been getting such critical praise. :)
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl wrote: »
    Tulkamir :
    open a red book and hide behind the foreground objects, he'll start singing and you'll have another point of view on the story, no clue about the green books, but I still have a few things to figure out and that may by my answer :p

spoiler abuse feedback :
    I have cleared all the worlds, now trying to get the secret stars, looks like it'll take some time though, plus I have to restart the game :(, some damn interesting puzzles though, especially liked world 6, 5 and 1 (the last one)

great game.

Thanks man, Hadn't realized the singing bit actually gave a different viewpoint and missed the first one, going to go back and check that out as soon as my girlfriends stops playing the damned game. :P If you do find anything out be sure to let us know, I'm gonna do a bit more searching around when i get a chance.

Totally didn't know about the stars, going ot have to search through the game again. :D
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I've played the demo and loved it.

I plan on picking up the full version once I can afford to. right now cash is tight getting ready to return to school.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It's $15 you damn naysayers!

Next time you're thinking about going out for lunch, think about going out to your Xbox for some Braid!

BISH!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Check this blog post out
    He licensed all the music off of Magnatune
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. I went ahead and picked up the mp3's off of the itunes link.
    Fun game. I'm starting to have issues with the ones where time follows your movement. >_<
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Between this and Echochome, parts of my brain have melted.