Home General Discussion

Tentacle is no more

godlike master sticky
Offline / Send Message
Neox godlike master sticky
http://ir.10tacle.de/cgi-bin/show.ssp?id=403&companyName=tacle&newsID=418303&language=German

the text basicly sais, that tentacle is broke

does this hit anyone of you guys? remember renaud beeing at tentacle belgium?

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, Renaud works at 10tacle Belgium, that's too bad :/
    The game they were working on --Totems-- looked pretty cool, as well. I hope this is just the German 'main' 10tacle, and that the Belgian one can just get a different name and continue.
    Renaud, any inside information for us?

edit: If they are going down, it's a real shame. As a kid, my dream was to work at Appeal, creators of Outcast :D
    A lot of the guys (including the lead, I think?) at 10tacle Belgium came from Appeal, so this is the second studio they're involved with that's going down, if that's really the case. And quite undeservedly so, I should say! Outcast was an excellent game, and Totems was looking pretty cool, from the limited amount of stuff they've showed so far.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i just heard about a couple of tentacle guys applying everywhere in europe, so i guess it hurts all of em :/
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    10tacle Asia closed down not too far back. A bunch of them jumped ship to my current studio including their 3D lead.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    yeah I can confirm the closing... Thx for the support guys, btw :) I'm "slowly" applying for something else, but after 2 years and half of "wasted" time on a game that will never see the light, you need a small break :) Don't get me wrong, I learnt A LOT and I met great people (and actually friends) with all the great talents who was there (be sure to double check is someones from 10tacle .be is applying in your company ;) ), but yeah, it always makes a pinch to your heart when this kind of stuff happens :)

The reasons of the closing are known : Financial crisis

here's a link with the whole story :

http://www.planet-totems.net/ (2nd news)
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear it Renaud, you will land on your feet doubtless!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that's sad to hear.

I was looking forward to Totems.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    wow sad news, i was really curious for totems as well. I thought we were finally getting a proper gamedev in belgium :(
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, what's left now in Belgium? Fuck all, as far as I'm aware. One who seems to be making an Oblivion clone they'll call Oblivious Oblivion, in all likelihood, and err.. what else?

edit: Actually, some screenshots were released of larian's new project yesterday, as it happens, and it's not looking too bad. Looks less like an Oblivion ripoff now, and given the high scores their previous games got, this might actually be a decent rpg. Let's hope so, eh?
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192049
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i want totems too...

no surprise but notheless bad to hear :/
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    sorry man, that blows. Good luck out there, you'll get snatched up quick I'm sure.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Its always sad to hear abotu studios going under, of course if anyone wants pointing in the direction of work we are currently recruiting for a range of positions.

http://www.splashdamage.com/jobs
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad news =/
    I'm sure someone with your talent won't have trouble finding work.
    But there's the hassle of moving, yuck...
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    I am still working for 10tacle Mobile GmbH in Duisburg, Germany. Well, working means I am sitting at home and waiting for some news. Still have to get 3 months of my salary. Looks bad in the moment.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    That sucks guys, I've been there before. Best of luck.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Husch, you will get your money from germany if 10tacle can't pay...

had the same thing a year ago
    You just have to go to the arbeitsamt and sign some letters :D
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    husch, wtf. i hope you stopped turning up for work there as soon as the paychecks didn't come through anymore. getting the money reimbursed from the arbeitsamt might take a while unless the process has been sped up in the last couple of years.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I know a fair amount of people that were working at 10tacle belgium, all good friends, I feel really sorry for them, they worked really hard on Totems, all I hope is that at least Urban Race will be released.
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately in the moment I am not allowed to quit my job by myself without risking to get 3 months of money ban from my employment agency. I send my boss just one request for payment, but the employment agency wants you to send at least 2 requests before you are allowed quit your job by yourself. The problem is that I can´t find someone responsible at my office who will sign my request. So, I will not get any help before my studio announce insolvency.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    if you haven't signed a letter that you agree to not getting payed the last months,but get the money later, your company already is insolvent...

because it can't pay it's bills --> you salary...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    dude, don't let them screw with your life and your wallet. consult a lawyer about your situation and don't try to sit it out.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's a shame to hear any studio closing down, especially one like 10tacle. I hope all the guys get back on their feet quickly.

-caseyjones
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I feel really sorry for you guys. Closing is a bit shitty but also brings the benefit of leaping further than one might expect.

I saw Totems last year, it was one of the most beautifulest games I saw to date. The amount of work put in any asset was really mind blowing. So much nice handcrafted assets and nice ideas... its a shame that this ip might be lost.

Renaud, Husch good luck finding a new job. hopefully you can enjoy some freetime without bitterness.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Sometimes the money thing isn't as straightforward as no pay=no work. If the company has always maintained good working conditions and honest management, there's often a lot of goodwill and willingness to go above and beyond in the hope you can keep it going.

On the other hand, if management are a bunch of lying, cynical wankers then fuck 'em.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    hey guys. Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems that a "making of" video of Totems(c) has been dropped on the web. So I thought that it would be nice to share it !

You'll see a few samples of the work we did for the game.

http://www.factornews.com/factorvideoplayer.swf?flVideo=videos/elsewhere_team.flv&width=480&height=270

And without any auto promotion here's a little part of the models I personally made and that you can see in the video :D

- The Old Bird Statue
    - The Big Insect "Tank"
    - The Tiger
    - The Old "Turtle" Man
    - The girl's bust you can see just after the old guy.
    - The ratman (that you may already saw)

I'll ask if I can post some better screenshots in the Pimping and Previews section when I have time.

I really enjoyed working on this project, and I hope you'll see the potential that this game had.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow renaud! really cool work! seemed like a awesome project, too bad its no more :(
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Man Totems was one of the games i was totally wishing for, really sucks it got canceled
    same sad fate Cuter Slate faced.... its sucks no one gonna safe this awesome project it
    seems. *sigh*
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any plans going around to start a new studio? Belgium could use the talent, and I'd like to see this team stick together. It's also been far too long since we had something from those designers (main guy was Yves Grolet on this as well, right?), so they have to be pretty bummed about being shut down again.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that really sucks guys.
    Best of luck looking for work...from what I saw of Totems I think you guys will be working in no time.
    B
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Hello Renaud, this is a really bad news..
    Even becose I will get a period at 10tacle on my 3rd HEAJ year :)
    good luck for the future!

btw, Totem look really cool.. I hope you will find some mony for urban race anyway