Home Technical Talk

A few questions (mainly max)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kary polycounter lvl 18
Looking at these together it might a wishlist, but I want to be sure that there aren't a few .ini's that control where things appear, or how things act, etc.

1) Is there a way for the UV relax tool to remember settings between sessions? IE: Face Angle instead of Edge Angles. Can you make it appear in the same place on screen each time it loads, instead of in the UL corner of the Unwrap mod? Related: Anyway to make the Ramplayer remember its last screen position?

2) Selecting a single vertex, and using Zoom Extents Selected, doesn't zoom in. Selecting two, or with a soft selection, it zooms in nicely -- is there a way to make it zoom in to the same distance as if the next nearest vert were also selected?

3) How do you select all objects that share an instanced modifier?

4) If you use a script like this:

(
On IsEnabled Return Filters.Is_EPoly()
On IsVisible Return Filters.Is_EPoly()
On execute do ($.EditablePoly.Relax ())
)

As an .mcr it hotkeys the relax function and works as I'd like on the base level. When it's used on an edit poly modifier it relaxes the whole mesh, or errors out. A way around that?

Another example:

(
$.faceExtrudeHeight = .00555
$.EditablePoly.buttonOp #extrude
)

Works fine on the base, but errors out on E.Poly modifiers. (It gives similar results to using a shift move on an open edge, but for closed polys -- handy at times).

5) Can you get a softselection radius to carry over through the modifiers on a stack? IE: On the base you have it set to 120, apply a Edit Poly and it is at 20 again.

6) Switching from a FOV 90 camera, to a persp view, then to an Ortho view often causes a weird error (super zoomed out Ortho that won't zoom extents selected in). Switching from a 45, to persp, to ortho, is fine. Is there a way around that?

7) Photoshop: When you change layers, make a brush stroke, undo it, it gets rid of the brush stroke and changes to the previous layer. Can you set it to just undo the brush stroke and not change layers?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    1. I just scripted it. The Maxscript Help lists all the variables you need for Relax, I just put it on a hotkey or quad menu with my favourite settings, easier to access that way.

2. Yeah, it's a bit annoying like that (although I find that it actually zooms in on the single vert so that it fills the screen, which is equally useless since you then have to zoom out again to get a usable view). Could probably write a script that does it - eg. check if the current selection is a single vert, if not then do a regular zoom, if so then select 2 edges attached to the vert and zoom to those extents instead?

3. Hmm, I thought you could just right-click on the modifier and select all objects, but I don't do that often so I might be wrong. It'd be easy enough to do a script for it, there is backend functionality for finding objects with instanced modifiers so I'd be surprised if it wasn't already a feature (or failing that, someone else has probably scripted it already).

4 and 5. Edit Poly modifier and and Editable Poly object are different things. You could probably write a simple script to carry settings over from the base object (the Editable Poly) into the Edit Poly modifier.
    You would have to make your Extrude and Relax scripts deal with that appropriately (just another check, if the current modifier is EPoly, then use the settings for that, rather than trying to apply the settings to EditablePoly even if it's not the currently active modifier, which is what your script is doing now.)

6. Never noticed that. How are you switching views? I just hit "v" to pop up the menu then the hotkey for whichever view. I've never run into zooming issues like you describe.

7. Hah, yeah, I want to know that too. It's bloody annoying, especially if you undo and don't notice, then you end up painting on the wrong layer!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks MoP :)

I'll have to get a clue with scripting then. It sounds like most of it could be dealt with that way, and if it's all UI at least it's only one section to dig into. Maybe I'll also be able to get my hotkeys to be more context sensitive -- a target weld that respects editable poly vs Unwrap would be nice, or a connect that can connect verts, edges, bridge polys and stitch UV islands.

6) I usually use one maximized view, and keep the other three default T/F/L unshaded (which I use them regularly enough to keep them that way). To switch the main view I'll be going from Camera, shift space (to perspective), look around the model, ctrl space (user), then it'll snafu. Only from 90fov to User though. It isn't something that I noticed until I was doing the FPS gun, and regularly switching from 90 to ortho. Now that I'm back to a normal scene it's not coming up at all.

7) ... and that happens to me about 90% of the time :poly142:
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    6. Solution: don't use User view, it's rubbish anyway ;) (sorry)

With regards to Target Weld, you should already be able to do that - a lot of the commands can be set separately in Customize User Interface. So for example you can go to the Editable Poly section, assign CTRL-T as target weld, then go to the Unwrap UVW section and assign CTRL-T as target weld there too. Similarly in the Edit Poly section (which is different to Editable Poly... stupid, I know).