Home General Discussion

an interesting business model

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
I dont know if Im just the only person to hear about this before, but I was just reading on gamasutra, (this article: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19370 ) that the new American Mcgee games based on Grimms fairytales are going to be releasing their content in an episodic manner. But not just in the normal way we've had episodic games so far.

What they're doing, is mirroring the TV model of bussiness by offering each episode of the game for free for one 24 hour period. If you miss that, then you have to buy it. Much like how you watch a show on TV and if you miss it, then you buy the dvd or something.

Apparently this is going to make them a significant enough amount of money in ad revenue if their traffic is high enough.

The first episode comes out at the end of the month. I hope the games are good. Free games where devs get paid makes me happy :)

EDIT: game is out on www.gametap.com right now for today only.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Interesting business model for sure. It's too bad that its made by that fella American McGee, IMO, his games suck.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: Well, his last two games did, but I've read a lot of positive reviews of this one, plus the art director is Ken Wong, who did some truly amazing work on this. I'm just annoyed it's on gametap
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    TV is starting to allow you to watch them over the web for free too now, for weeks or months after the show aired.

http://abc.go.com/player/ <-- you can see lost season 1, 2, 3, 4 all in streaming, even new shows like wipeout. :D

Sounds pretty nifty though.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.hulu.com as well. i don't know that i would buy a game that was allready released for free. tv is not aired for free... i pay for cable on some and then also have to watch commercials. the only reason i buy dvd's is to watch it all at once and not see commercials.

if i have to pay for something that others got absolutely free just because of a time thing, it'd probably just piss me off into not buying it at all.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Who knows, maybe next gen we'll see the industry switch over to a subscription based model.

Rent consoles (like with old cable boxes) and pay a monthy service charge for download and playing games. And then have a 'budget' subscription available that depending on the game either puts advertisements directly in the game or pauses the game every so often to play a commercial. Then the popular titles could get packaged store releases. Seems like were moving that direction atp anyhow.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Polyhertz if the game got paused for a commercial I would never, ever, ever play it. I think I would stop playing games all together. It's bad enough waiting to start a game after watching ads and not be able to skip them. Yeah seeing the nvidia, and other logs is getting very annoying. If you could just skip them it wouldn't be that bad. I really wouldn't mind seeing a Cocal cola building or that type in the game provided it went with the theme of the game.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well like I said that'd be for cheepskates, and would be good incentive I think to pay the normal subscription fee. Doesn't have to be that sever though, could be a transparent overlay that plays while your in game. If you didn't want to pay for a subscription though games could still be purchased outright too.

Really, we've already got subscription models (Gametap), episodic games (Sam and Max), and just about everything else needed to go in the direction of replicating the TV industries model, it just needs to be put together in a single package. The biggest problem is probably setting consoles up as being rentable at major outlets instead of purely purchasable.

It's obvious enough that the purchase outright-only model that the consoles currently utilize is no longer working as well as it once did. Digital distrobution and episodic gaming is a step in the right direction, but will it be enough come the next generation to offset the exponentialy increasing costs of development? In a worst case scenario, I'd prefer not to see the industries technological growth stunned because it was figured out too late that it wasn't.

Edit: Just to add to that. I think it'd be a good practice that the only games that get physical releases are the ones that sell over 500k, or whose franchise has continualy sold over that count. that way your more or less guaranteed the games on shelfs are of quality (or are at least popular), and good franchises get to make it to store shelfs at the same time as their digital versions. Biggest problem with this of course would be that it might encourage sequels, which of course we all love to hate.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Polyherts, I said what I said because I see the trend you described as well. I also see this very intrusive trend of ads in games getting worse, but the cost doesn't go down. You pay 50 bucks so you can sit your butt down and watch a few ads. Now I mind that I can't skip them, but they are more or less fun to watch at times.

I think there can be a good way to have product placement in games that is fun for the gamer. Grand Tourismo is a pretty easy example of this. I think gamers would enjoy being able to go and blow up real world buildings in games as well provided it went with the design of the game. Or just mess these companies ads up. Paint graffiti on a politicians ad, or mess up a Coca Cola building.

I think consoles didn't sell as well because they were too expensive. Most people can't go an spend over 300 dollars on hardware to play a game since they have bills to pay. As long as they continue to make the consoles be more than toys, they were selling this media experience bullsit, they won't get good sells. PS1 could play cds, when CD players were expensive, but you didn't see the kind of bs that happened with the ps3 and 360. They went with rare processors so people couldn't easily use the consoles as powerful computers. They need to stop being so greedy period. Consoles are computers that these companies have done their best to make useless as such, so then you have to buy their shit too. But you can play dvds, really you put a dvd player in it you idiot of course it should play dvds. Computer systems can play dvds too but that doesn't stop people from buying dvd players or home entertainment systems. Why because it's different for most people, they don't want to watch tv or movies on their pc. I think that was the biggest problem with sales, was the corporate greed and a piss poor economy that has been getting worse.

Alex
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I won't speculate on how this will work but I'll certainly be watching to see how it does.

Alice was rad.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    www.gametap.com has the first game up for free for today only. The day is almost over, so get it while you still can :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ok, I just played it.

Awesome style, way too easy though. I hope the next game is harder. This was still quite fun. I like little 30 minute interactive romps.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    so, if you download it can you only play it for one day, or can you only download it for one day
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Downloading now, thankfully didnt have to sign up or anything, but that might yet come when it gets to the installing part.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I just played it through, pretty painless really. only had to watch one ad for colin mcrae.. theres a bunch of free games on there including theaf: deadly shadows.. im wondering where the catch is
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to know how he plans to combat piracy?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I tried to download it, and it reports 2 system requirements not met, so I can not play. Apparently I have to have a 32 bit os, and a 2.5ghz processor. Nevermind the fact I'm playing on a quad-core xeon with 8gb ram, my machine must not be powerful enough, therefore I can't download it. w t f?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    I tried to download it, and it reports 2 system requirements not met, so I can not play. Apparently I have to have a 32 bit os, and a 2.5ghz processor. Nevermind the fact I'm playing on a quad-core xeon with 8gb ram, my machine must not be powerful enough, therefore I can't download it. w t f?

You have 64bit OS, i guess.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Interesting business model for sure. It's too bad that its made by that fella American McGee, IMO, his games suck.

He's also the guy that said something along the lines of f@#$ north american artists when I can outsource to china, so its been my personal vow to kick him in the balls if ever meet him.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    there are a lot of chinese names in the credits
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I grabbed it this morning so I think they extended the time if it was supposed to only be for a day.

I played it for a few minutes. It's extremely unlikely I'll ever play it again. Painful. The design and art are both of poor quality. I'm not all that interested in the awkward slow story telling either. They need to watch some Saturday morning cartoons if they want to use that art style and keep peoples attention.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    twilson, I think for the first ep they decided to just leave it free forever, and will do the one day thing for the rest.

I agree about design, but I really liked the art.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Ninja Edit

There should be a law against drunk internet-ing
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah I agree the storytelling was slow, but the actual style of the game was cool. Not AAA super polished, but that doesn't make it bad. I can imagine if I was younger I'd enjoy this game plenty
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get me wrong... I like the art style. I just think they executed it poorly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw one of the guys at work playing this friday. It looked fucking god awful. Its like they dont actually know their target audience, is this for kids? Is it for adults? The only thing for certain is that it looks like a huge pile of shit.