Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DIII Tyrael

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
Been a while since my last post, so I thought I would share what i have been up to recently :)

Diablo III was announced two weeks ago and I was so pumped I decided to make Tyrael. Spent about a week and a half on this so far -- he is almost done. I still have to put a grime / scratches pass on him and make a sword. I also plan to rig and animate him within the next day or two.

specs:
1x 4096 map each (looks decent @2 or 3K) diffuse, spec, alpha, normal
12,364 tris
MAYA HQ viewport render

I am still having a real lame issue with alphas displaying correctly in MAYA ... I think it is my video card at this point. It only effects the bottom of his cloth / arm guards + some chains and belt straps.

Feedback would be more than helpful :)

(poor quality, i know...can post higher quality on request)
http://www.rapture-art.com/other_forum_pics/tyrael_PB_001.mov

tyrael_001.jpg

tyrael_003.jpg

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    First off both the image and the video are huge, I'm on a 1440x900 resolution, which I know isn't huge, but it also isn't that small either. Be best to scale some of those things down, or at least chop the image up a bit so it doesn't fuck around with the page scale.

It looks nice to me, I think it looks well structured and I enjoy some the motifs you have going on in the armor. However...

Some wire shots and flats of the maps would be nice, because I would like to see where all those tris went, with that many tris I think things like the Hood opening shouldn't look so jagged. I have a feeling those circular bits you have throughout the mesh are taking up a good deal, you should try to make your mesh have a more even distribution of polys.

Also I know it's cool practice working with a map that's 4096, but really...is that needed? I know there are tons of little minute details on it, but I cant imagine you loosing much fidelity on a 2048 texture.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    haha yeah -- the image is huge, but i meant the resolution of the video is all pixeley.

you are absolutely correct in your assumption: the tris went into the circular objects all over his armor. I always make low res characters and am too timid to go "higher res", which my professors were constantly on my back about. My budget was 15K tris on this guy. As for the texture ... I can always down-res :) Going from 4K to 2K actually did make a pretty big difference ><

Thanks for the feedback! My apologies for the massive pic above...smaller images from now on.

tyrael_002.jpg