Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Badass

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
hey folkes, im new around here, my first post. Figured i should start a thread here as i plan on making this a lowpoly character.

Im making this as a anatomy study as the base and then plan on taking it further by dressing him up and eventually do a lowpoly version too.
Hopeing to get some tips, hints comments and crits along the way.

Here we go

Basemesh is from xsi,
badassbodyv3basemeshxw6.jpg

And this is the latest screengrab from last night from Zbrush,

badassbodyv4jx2.jpg

let me know if something seems odd or if you got any comments:)

Replies

• kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Posting a front and side shot would help.

The knee looks a little odd, the muscles along the shin are unusually defined. Muscle at the back of the calf (gastrocnemius apparently) looks high, or fully tensed, etc. Similar to how the sternomastoids seem fully tensed. The pectoral is wrapping into the bicep and deltoid oddly, a little further out and higher then it should be.

Nice start, leaning to an ecorche sort of style.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Kary, thanks for the comments dude, yeah the calfmuscles and the sternomastoids are unusually big and defined, i gotta adjust em.
    the pec was going too far down the arm, u recon even further?

heres an older screen from some days ago with more views, i will post a new one later on tonite.

badassbodyv3do4.jpg
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Pec: Seeing it from the other angles, I'm not sure. Seems a little wide, but I am not familiar enough with that kind of defined muscle to speak to it with certainty.

A heavier jaw might fit better, and seeing what you can do to breakup the near perfect roundness that the skull has now (subtle stuff, but he's so muscley it'd make sense to play up the points where the muscles latch onto the skull). Should be an interesting one to follow :)
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Arms seem too long to me, or the torso and legs too short. Just standing in front of the mirror in the position, it seems that my arms only go to my belt, or just a bit lower. The way you have it there, the hands are about in the middle of the thigh.

I dunno...
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    naw. fingertips should reach mid-thigh.

his neck/throat area is a little wide I think. cause of those muscles I don't know the names of. heh. might be a tiny bit too long too. looking at the last image from the backside that is. I think that is what makes the arms look so long cause they start lower relative to the head.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    my 2 cents.
    pecs.gif
    the pecs were really bothering me. its a good model though, dont forget his wang.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, arms and shoulder area are too long/massive. If you squint a bit the arms look like a second pair of legs.
    They dont seem wrong by themselves, I'm thinking that if you size down the arms down (on al axis) with the pivot on the shoulder just by a few centimeters, they will thinner too and look better.

Then i would do something about the hands, fingers being to puny etc but they look WIP anyway.

Alternatively I would try leaving the arms and torso alone (fixing what Chris suggested only) and try scaling up the legs a bit. I have the feeling that would solve the monkey arms problem too, and his legs seem to be rather on the shorter side. That would also fix the rather disturbing space between his legs. The kind of space you'd expect from a skinnier girl but not from a well built guy.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, that's muuuchh better... DeathByChris has got it nailed. the pecs still seem a little bit long though still... i'd be tempted to raise the armpits slightly and push the bottom of the pecs up a tad... but i like squat torso anatomy. in fact, i would say that your entire torso is a tad long.

your musculature in general is very sharp, almost as if this dude has got no skin. IMO it would be a good idea to smooth out some of those creases on the arms, but exaggerate the general curves a bit more. IMO the biceps are too long.

keep going, this only needs a little bit of work to make it totally awesome.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, cheers for the comments, really helpful stuff here. and thanks a bunch for the paintover/teak image. i dig the changes! i see the problem with the neck area now

iv intentionally exaggerated the definition of the muscles to start with and will ease them in at the end when i start adding skindetail :) its easier to see where everything goes like this for me. thanks again fellahs!
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    wow gold thought and said that?
    awesome, i should give them my business.
  • KyleM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something is wrong with either the length of the torso as John Warner said or the legs arent long enough the upper body is almost as long as the legs..although these are character critiques coming from an environment artist... so perhaps what I remember from learning about anatomy has become fuzzy and I am entirely wrong hehe
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow dang been so busy at work i haven't worked on this for ages.
    But managed to get little work done it it tonight, so worked on the parts you guys have mentioned, except the calfs, i gotta have a look at that before i move on,

but heres what it looks like after the long break:) tonite i did some more on the hands,

badassbodyv5mk2.jpg