Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Horny Ogre

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
I tought I'd start a thread for this model instead of spamming the waywo thread with it ;)

I'm pretty much done with the highpoly, starting on the lowpoly now.

brute_13.jpg

any crits, comments, whatever are welcome :)

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I like the style man, pretty solid weight in the upper body, but lacking in the bottom half... more so the lower leg area, either feet are too small (stylistically, i think they work well) but something is off, looks like his legs couldn't support his weight basically.

Other issue I have is his fingers, looks a bit muddy, give some love to em like you do with the rest of the body and I think you're good to go.

Awesome stuff man, i love the nice hard cuts.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work. Disagree with jason on the bottom half, I think he looks like he can support his weight just fine, but the posture seems off.

With that dew claw on the back, and the general forms on his legs/lower torso, it looks like he would stand more on his toes/the balls of his feet. Which, if you decide to go with, could probably use bulking up his calves just a bit.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Is that guy wearing a skinned human face as a fastener for his neck cloak thing?
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Cool. The face and torso look quite solid, the legs are looking a bit off because the lower legs are too short. The upper legs are at an appropriate length, but the body would look like it has better balance if the lower legs were noticeably longer.

Cool though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Remember what I said about the lower legs being too short? :)
    I know the pants are meant to be long and baggy, but currently because of the skull kneepads, it's misleading to where his knees actually are. Maybe if you moved the kneepads up and strapped them around the actual knee position, tightening the cloth there, it would work better - and give a more interesting silhouette.

I still think you can bulk up the cloth around his neck a lot more, and go for a much more "in and outy" silhouette. Currently the silhouette is kinda "soft", if you know what I mean. Needs more big direction changes IMHO.

Remember the paintover! :)

Keep it up!
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    time to revive this thread from the graveyard! :o

after a long and much needed vacation I finally had the time to work on this model again, the lowpoly is now pretty much finished.

brute_low.jpg

next the unwrapping (sigh) and texturing (yay)

also, what's the best way to bake the normals from a high to lowpoly mesh without making your computer die a slow and agonizing death?
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Misleading thread title. I see no throbbbing schlong!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man! nicely done model:)
    i like it alot, the face on the torso looks really nice, and adds a nice touch. I hope the textures come out looking great.
    Regarding your question, i guess you could use xnormal, since it suports huge amounts of polys. Or you could export your hipoly in chunks to max and bake what you have, and later combine the maps in photoshop:)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Are you a lefty?
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did the unwrapping and some quick before-bedtime-baking today D:

render_04.jpg

@bitmap: xnormal worked like a charm with the highpoly meshes, except it gives me a pretty horrible seam in the middle of the model. (I baked both sides of the model at the same time, even though they share the same uv space)

and what would be the best way to get rid of this normalmap fugliness?
    repaint it or some tweaking to cages?
    render_05.jpg

@pior: not a lefty :o

@techsmith: sorry :(
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha I thought you were, because of that handwriting up there :P
    About the normal problem - if the problem is th fleshy parts being projected to the belt lowpoly shape, you could try simply editing the UVs to fit. Obviously In theory it's not good, but in practice if it's just for small fixups it might work...
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    and on the other side of piors suggestion, if it is the top of his clothes then simply hand editing the normals will work nicely.

Fun character. I look forward to seeing it finished.

- BoBo
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About the midline seam, is that a screengrab from the viewport? If so, you'll be wanting to use a 3rd-party shader, not any of the ones that ship with max.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map#ShadersAndSeams
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fixed the seam and some other normalmap errors, and started to block in the colours. not sure if it's too busy right now :|

brute_14.jpg