Home Contests & Challenges Archives

"Mod Facade" Challenge - T_Renegade

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
Probably biting off more than I can chew but will attempt it anyway and hopefully complete it in time. My basic idea is of a fortress, kind of present/future looking.

fortress_idea.jpg

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the design slightly and starting to figure out how many pieces I need.

scene-base.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, I hope the numbers make sense to you =P
    actually I think I understand all the pieces and it could kick some serious ass if you pull it off =)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The numbers kinda make sense, haha. Cheers for the words of encouragement. Started to rough out the basic shapes, as you can see the curved bits might completely kill the polycount because they curve on more than one axis. I might be able to hide the back and not put any geometry to bring the levels down. The design is going to change on the fly as well to see what can be done.

wire_1.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Nice start - and yup, that's killing your polycount!

You could use less polys on the underlying curved section and treat the 'snake' as a trim.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn man good luck keepin it in the poly range
    maybe make thngs a bit less curved on ur low poly?
    like those arches?

and things farther from the view point would have less polies devoted to them no?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, got the main parts done and it stands at 19406 tris at the minute, including the whole 360 degrees. Since its supposed to be a facade I can hack down some of the back of it, so that I can also add some bamboo scenery. All of the pieces are sealed so that they can recieve proper lighting in an engine, not sure as to whether that needs to be done for the challenge.

Rick: yeah i thought the same thing about thsoe trims but thought the back faces would be creating some tris also...if push comes to shove i'll get rid of them and have a normal map pushing the features out.

indian_boy: i was contemplating going more low poly as the building went higher, not sure yet whether or not i'll do it.

p_19406_wire.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    damn. dont fuck with this pirate house! arrrrrr
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    All of the pieces are sealed so that they can recieve proper lighting in an engine...

What do you mean by this?

Also, what engine would you be thinking of? For example, I have some trim objects that are "open" in the back because the back fits up against the wall and won't be seen. I was under the impression that these objects still receive proper lighting in Unreal 3, which is the engine I plan on using.

I love the style of the 360 roundhouse type building too. I hope you can manage to stay on budget for the full circular building cause I think it would look awesome.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I was generally thinking of most engines, had a bad experience of doing lots of modelling only to find out that I'd have to cap it all, because the shadows were getting screwy. Just presumed that UEd3 prefers closed meshes as well.

Thanks, hopefully the 360 can stay but I'll have to see.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    UE3 used to need things sealed back in the day, but that was a long time ago, it can have open meshes now.

I'm not sure why though, different lighting model? Would need to talk to a techy to really understand it.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc: ok, so that would mean i can just use single planes for the walls and cull a mass amount of polys, cool!

Started work on the wall texture and have only a slight idea of where it will be going.

Anyone who has a suggestion of what would be cool please say:)

colour_test.jpg
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update - the colours are a bit *argh* but it was supposed to be fantasy style. Still to do: bamboo forest for background, sky box - have no experience with these any pointers would be very helpful, and textures. The scene is messy, but I wanted to show the colour scheme for suggestions.

colour.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Whoa! crazy. I like it though, it's different. I think it could work, try toning down the saturation of the colors,except for some spots of color for interest. such as the pink design on the bottom, and the face on the wall. And that grey part next to the green/beige stripes doesnt seem to fit, although the designs on there look cool. I would recommend a actual color there, like the yellow stone, or a darker version of such? it sort of looks like difference clouds. but this could turn out really cool.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cody, its starting to take shape. Will give the saturation a going over, what grey part do you mean? I was going for a granite stone type of finish with the black/dark areas. Finally bought Crazy Bump, it was free for ages because of the updates, but it got me hooked and the deom expired, it had to be done. Still lots to do, hoping for a Saturday finish.

general-work.jpg