Home General Discussion

Wall-e

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
I caught the midnight showing of Wall-E last night. It kicked ass! They did a great job portraying emotion in simple shapes. They also did well with carrying the story along with very little dialog from the robots. Great use of sounds. Very entertaining...do I dare say...one of my favorite Pixar movies to date!

Oh and Pixar’s Presto was shown before the film. Very Funny!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0v09U30eE[/ame]

- BoBo

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ya, I can't wait to see it, the previews made it look fantastic.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I'm wondering if my almost 5 year old son would be ok sitting through, considering there isn't any dialogue.

It would be his first movie theater experience.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Had no idea what that thing was...
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'm seeing it later with my nephew.

So freaking excited.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    I haven't seen it yet, so you almost threw me into a jealous rage. Definately checking it out this weekend.
  • Spock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a well done flick, definately worth the watch. I have to say BoBo, it wasn't till the end of the movie that I suddenly realised...I just watch an enite movie with virtually no dialoge. :D And I enjoyed it alot. Everything was very well done!

Curious what you thought of the inculsion of live action film though?

I thought it worked fine, but some my friends thought it didn't fit in with the rest pf the cg movie. I give Pixar credit for trying something alittle different either way.

Pretty much my favorite Pixar film to date but The Incredibles holds a special place in my heart...
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Why do you all taunt me so? It isn't out in the UK till next month :(
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I can't wait to see it, gonna try to see it tonight if possible. Its been getting amazing reviews. 98% on rottentomatoes.com.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    it was amazing!!! i love the fact it had hardly any actual dialog besides beeps and honks. soooo cute!!!!

pixar, you have my soul in a doggy bag.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Tully wrote: »
    Why do you all taunt me so? It isn't out in the UK till next month :(
    :D
    just squealed with glee when i read that the movie already started..

and then I realised that even though usa and england have the fucking same language we still have to wait! WHY?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Ohhhh, I so can't wait to see it!
    Yeah, thinking back, I guess all the previews were all missing dialogue...?
    Wow, cause when you guys first said there's very little dialogue, I was like, oh no!! And then... remembering the trailers I thought. Awesome.

Can't wait to see what those crazy people at Pixar have done now!! :D
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome.
    I always enjoyed the sounds the Ben Burtt works into the movies. I recognized a number of star wars bits here and there.

I really hope that since he did the voice of wall-e that they'll feature a commentary with him on the DVD release. Definitely was enjoyable when he talked about the sound design on Star Wars and Indiana Jones films.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    amazing movie A++ will watch again.

short was awesome too
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm gonna watch this movie for sure!
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    saw it at midnight screening last night at Disneys El Capitan theater. my hopes were through the freaking roof. fully expected it to be the best pixar movie ever. fully expected it to be my movie of the year. sadly it wasnt. more sadly it wasn't even my animated film of the year. :(

I don't want to spoil this for anyone who hasn't seen it yet so I'll lay off my gripes until later. I would still recommend it for sure - but i'm just going to say don't get your expectations up too high before seeing it.

ps. i was just invited to go see it at pixar next weekend. i would love to go if only to check out their studio, but no matter how you spin it - it's not worth a plane ticket just to see a fricken movie. lol
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take your ticket. . .
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    best animated film of the year, maybe the best pixar film yet
    are you a bad enough dude to save the president?
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    AMAZING MOVIE!!!!! i loved it........my 4 and 3 year old set through the whole thing......amazing.....but the kids told me they liked kung fu panda better....

WALL-E raised the bar for 3d cartoons.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    ....next month....we have to wait it September.....
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing. Wonderfully paced. Total date movie, chicks love the wall-e.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Man, this pic is definitely at the top of the Pixar pile. It just hit all of the right notes for me.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking Fantastic! I loved every minute of it!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    badass movie.

i rather liked the earth parts better
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    wtf

Japan, 20th December 2008!!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    My favorite Pixar movie by far.
    B
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    JDinges wrote: »
    I'm wondering if my almost 5 year old son would be ok sitting through, considering there isn't any dialogue.

It would be his first movie theater experience.

We took our 5 year old to see it the day after his birthday. It's the first movie that's captivated his attention for the duration of a film (he didn't enjoy sitting through the credits though). WALL-E's antics are entertaining (reminiscent of Buster Keaton or Chaplin) and spaced closely enough that the film doesn't feel slow as the story and plot points progress. Every child is different but mine and others in our theater seemed equally captivated.

Have fun, it's a great film and the intro short is fantastic also.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i really liked it. Amazed that it actually had some themes that are rather dark.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome flick.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, mule I was amazed to see guns and explosions in a pixar movie, but it worked very well.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i wasn't talking about the guns and explosions so much as i was the overall theme of a planet ruined by trash. And an obese lazy species that is too preocupied by the screen in front of thier face to realize they have a pool.

seemed like a pretty strong, and dark take on peoples behaviours today and where we might see ourselves in the future.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    went to see it saturday but the theater was having "water problems" and was closed :(
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, that surprised me as well, but I thought it was a great premise & commentary on the direction we're headed.
    the "evolution of man" shot of all of the various captains over the years was awesome!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night at 10..it was awesome! Loved how there was no dialogue yet it was still super interesting.

it was weird...there was only 20 people in our theater. Even though it was a later showing I was surprised especially because it was a Saturday..
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Just came back from seeing it! So amazing! I felt in awe the entire way through :D

This is probably the first night where the night showing wasn't sold out when I got there
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Striff wrote: »
    Saw it last night at 10..it was awesome! Loved how there was no dialogue yet it was still super interesting.

it was weird...there was only 20 people in our theater. Even though it was a later showing I was surprised especially because it was a Saturday..

Same here, Saturday at 7:00 pm in the digital projection theater and not a full house. A bit far from a full house, but it was nice out.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    So now that I've seen it.... omg!! It was SO well done! I was incredibly impressed.

This just goes to show you... It doesn't matter what the characters are, whether cute or cuddly, handsome, sexy, whatever... ALL that matters is that they HAVE character. Pixar did an AMAZING job at really bringing all the robots to life. I also really loved how streamline and well thought-out the robots and machines were. Everything fit goether and moved so nicely.

And the social commentary was even great... it really hit home, but in a way that was unoffensive and not too scary, but still really made a point. I also think it showed hope for humanties future, or so I'd like to think.

Overall, a really great movie! It should be worth seeing for anyone. :D
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    I liked it a lot. Including the videos of live action humans is my biggest complaint, but other than that fantastic film.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    A few of us just saw the 7:50 showing... man, what an amazing movie.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost forgot, saw the most epic movie trailer before Wall-e.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=K7tleFb6TlI[/ame]

Disney is truly going down the crapper.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it, but I'm not sure I'd place it on the top of the Pixar list. Animation-wise, definitely, but overall entertainment, I still enjoyed others a little more... not much though.
    I think my problem is, I saw damn near the whole movie in the trailers and commercials. I tried my best to avoid them when I started seeing new pieces in each commercial, but there was such an onslaught of advertising for this movie, that it couldn't be avoided. It felt like the movie basically filled in the pieces.

On a side note, I AGAIN had a problem in the theaters. I really can no go to a theater without issues these days. This time I got into an argument with a woman and her kids. It resulted in me throwing f-bombs and her commenting on my use of language ;) The family was a constant interruption throughout the movie, then decided to visit me after the film was done, for 'being rude'. I swear, I came close to changing my philosophy on hitting woman (and children). One of her daughters was a lippy little bitch just like mom..... AHhh, here I go getting pissed again... I'll stop now.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    notman: I feel your pain, but all I can say is you should try going to a late showing next time you see a kids movie.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I disagree. You should see kids movies in a theater with kids. One of the most magical movie experiences I ever had was going to a matinee to see Iron Giant. Man - at the end
    when all the kids were crying and asking their mommies "is he dead?" through tears,
    - that was amazing.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    At Wall-E, I don't remember the scene, but the whole screen went dark, and it was totally silent, and this kid says "Mommy, I'm SCARED!" It was priceless :P

I really liked Wall-E, and I'm not sure how everyone felt about it, but it seemed really pretty melancholy and spacey for a kid's movie. It made me pretty depressed, but in that good way :P I was thinking about it for a while after I saw it.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your pain Notman...some guys cell phone rang during the movie and the dude got up and answered the phone and had his conversation with the person the whole time he was walking out of the theater..

People like that need to get castrated so they can't have kids.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Striff wrote: »
    Almost forgot, saw the most epic movie trailer before Wall-e.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K7tleFb6TlI

Disney is truly going down the crapper.

Yes, I keep seeing this trailer... it helps remind me of everything wrong with the world.

But! Then Wall-E came on... and all was forgotten...
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Brilliant movie. Especially liked what the movie has to say beyond the awesome little robots. Most likely my favorite animated film. :D
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I took back the stuff I said earlier....the movie was very effective with the lack of dialogue and all ...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Caught Wall-e the night before last with my family... that movie quite literally made my day. It was just... good.. (and not in that weak kind of 'good', the 'it made me feel better to have seen that' kind of 'good').
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I could kiss lasseter and catmull and their whole family right on the lips.... :O
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i dunno. It certainly wasnt a bad movie, but pretty much every other pixar movie I've seen (all except cars which i have yet to see) has been better than wall-e. Maybe I just wasnt in the right mood to love it that night. Still a good movie though.