Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback on my reel...

Hey All,
I'm a recent grad thats been having trouble finding work and want to know what I need to improve to get a foot through the door. Check out my site and let me know what I should be working on to make that leap from a "wanna be" to a "be"! (http://markyi.com/3dwork.html) Any feedback is welcome, the more you tear me down the harder I'm gonna work to come back and prove you wrong! Thanks ALL!

Nurbslife

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm its really hard to tell what aspect of 3d you want to do,is it characters? Environments?Vehicles?

Is it even games?

If its characters,the high poly stuff looks nice but landing a first job as a character artists can be much harder than something like environment.

If its environment then you need more finished assets, and the one bar area you made has its good areas,like the couch. But in terms of build if its a low poly scene theres alot of wasted polys,especially on the bar counter. Wall textures are a bit stretched and overall the texture work looks flat.

Hard to really tell where you want to specialize in.

EDIT: Hmm read your CV,pick on art direction you want to go,character or environment and focus on that and make it look good. Focus on quality and less on quantity. In terms of ease of breaking in. Environment is the way to go,there are more environments than character spots in games. So if you can reach a good enough quality level you could land a job. Once in then youll have the experience,education and time to work in whatever aspect of games you want to work in.
  • nurbslife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jo420, I think thats what I needed to know. I guess I will really start to focus on the environments more and take a break from the character stuff, because I spent easily over a year into characters learning anatomy and proper edge loops etc... etc... I will start to work out some really flushed out environments with nicer textures.

-nurbslife