Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Updated Environment Reel, need critiques!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys! This is my first real post on PolyCount. I have posted on CGTalk before but I heard PolyCount was a bit more brutally honest on their critques, so that's why I am here.

You can see most of my portfolio on my blogspot. It has links to my website and every other webpage I have dedicated to my environment work. I am still working on my demo so let me know how I can improve it.

http://brandenbrushett.blogspot.com

also, my website, brandenbrushett.com It looks best with Firefox. For some reason IE doesn't load my whole page correctly.

Thanks!

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Do any of your pieces have spec maps on them? It looks like everything is just color/+normal. really makes them feel 'flat'.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, they all have Spec maps. I am not sure which pieces you're talking about exactly but I can tell you the Contruction site and Underground Highrise scenes do not have a diffuse map. They have spec, just not diffuse so that might be what you're referring to. I unfortunately didn't learn the power of diffuse until AFTER school was over when I taught myself.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    He he, Diffuse = colour basically Gobee, so it looks like you have diffuse (colour) since you had shown texture maps with colour.

Now I do agree with Polyhertz that some of it DOES feel flat, but I also thinkwhats causeing that is you have really deep / dark shadows, and at points it can create some great suspense, but you're losing a lot of colour and in turn a lot of the detail due to thise over-powered dark shadows. It's rare to find shadows dead on black, this could also be because of youtube compression, I don't know... but your scenes are losing some detail because of the dark shadows.

NOW, onto the good stuff. I absolutely LOVED this demo reel man. After I saw the starting to the construction site scene, I saved this right away to my inspiration folder. Your compostion with this demo reel is refreshing man, it looks like you put A LOT of thought into it, and it piad off big time... I was really interested to see what you were gonna show us next.

The intro to the construction scene deserves some love... the birds flying, and then a long paning shot of the crane, THAT was awesome man.

But again, the last full scene, the darkness killed it for me, I could barely see some of the details. Again, this could be because of compression, but maybe brighten up the video a bit.

But when all is said and done, this was a great demo reel (in my opinion), I would really like to see if again with the shadows not being so over powering though.

Good job Gobee, and Mute Math for the win eh :) Love those guys!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    omg, take that song of your web site. Then I'll look at it.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    He he, Diffuse = colour basically Gobee, so it looks like you have diffuse (colour) since you had shown texture maps with colour.

Thanks for your comments Jason! I am shocked to see someone else was inspired by something I did. That feels good. Because most artists in here are an inspiration to me when I see their work, so it's nice to be on the other end.

One thing I am confused about is the diffuse. I use Maya. I think I remember from using Max, Diffuse=color. Am I correct? Diffuse in Maya I believe is something different. Maybe I need to learn how to create a better diffuse map? Someone clarify this if I am wrong.

I totally agree with you on the darkness. It was dark to begin with, but the compression did not help AT ALL! There are some parts that are just not visible and it bugs me, so that will be updated for sure. The one part on the cave scene where it goes to the back of the building, I originally had AO/wireframe comped so you can see everything. I lost those files so i'll have to re-render the AO for that part.

cholden- go back to my demo reel, turn off the sound, and critque the hell out of it. I'm not changing the song as it is not important. However, if you have a better song in mind, I'd like to hear.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    diffuse in max does indeed = colour. In Maya the term is for a map that tells how much light should affect specific areas such as cracks/crevices, but unlike a spec map does not determin reflective amount or colour. Instead it makes any light source outright ignore desired areas. that would be my understanding of it at least.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    The song choice is actually important Gobee, I just like the band... but as Chris demonstrated, he hated it... and was turned off by it. If he was a potential employer (which he kinda is, since he could recommended people) because of your music choice, he didn't get to see your demo reel. Now you could tell him to turn off the sound (ha ha... not the best idea) or you could choose a more subtle song that will help convey the emotion or feeling you want the viewer to get while he or she is watching. I'm a big music nut, and I think music does have an affect on the people who are listening / watching and music and games go hand in hand, so why not take advantage of it?

Polyhertz - oh, ha ha I always thought that was the ambient slider in maya :( whoops my bad.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Like I said before, if cholden has an idea for a song that might match my demo, I am all ears. I picked that song because I liked the mood it set for my demo and I love Mute Math, especially LIVE.

I hear what you are saying with the music and how it goes hand in hand with the game industry but I'd be shocked if a developer does not hire me, not because of my modeling/texturing/lighting skills, but because he/she doesn't like my taste in music.

I asked him to turn it off because, from my personal experience, most developers don't play the demo with sound on anyway.

One of us should start a new thread asking everyones opinion on whether music is important on a game demo reel or not. I'm interested to see what other people have to say.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Things you need to do something about.

Your website looks terrible with the big myspace banner, especially because it splits your work up. That's what makes it look terrible. I would make your thumbnails bigger and make your huge header a lot smaller. Your work is more important than the header. Right now it competes for attention. If you must have music on your site give the option to turn it off, it makes it load slower which is very annoying. You give anything annoying to potential employers and they will not look at your work, no matter how good it is.

The works is nice, but it looks like it doesn't have the next gen stuff. It does look like something I would find in games though. I think the cause is how bright your spec maps are, they all seem to be the same intensity. Might be a huge jump there but I'm saying that based on one of the few shots you get from your props in your you tube reel. The other reel runs terrible, it's all jumpy so I would get rid of it.

Diffuse in Max is color. Raytrace material in Max has diffusion which does the same as diffuse in Maya if I remember correctly. Diffusion (diffuse in Maya) is a gray scale map that tells the renderer how much light ( color actually) a surface absorbs or reflects back to the viewer. So if somethings is 100 % black in the diffuse map it absorbs all light rays, like a black hole, and it would render black. This is something used more in pre rendered 3d though. AO reminds me a bit of diffusion except it's not based on depth, it a property of a material to reflect or absorb light regardless of how smooth or bumpy it's surface is.

Spec controls how bright the highlight is, gloss the fall off of the spec, diffusion controls how much light an object absorbs. Color is just what the viewer perceives it to be, so it's any of the light waves that the material of the object did not absorb and gets reflected back that the viewer sees. Bump well you know that. LOL

After doing a test it shows how it affects glow maps as well. It's the same material except one has a noise map in the diffusion slow and the other doesn't. The diffusion and glow map share the same pattern for the most part. I added another nose to the big areas of black and lowered the contrast a bit there so there was something to look at. In simple terms it controls how much color the color map shows before it to turns to complete black. Both maps are the same except one is white and the other red. glow map is orange. A note is the white and red had the same
    saturation.

Nice work though.

bad examples :D

orange

white
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Sage wrote: »
    Things you need to do something about.

Your website looks terrible with the big myspace banner, especially because it splits your work up. That's what makes it look terrible. I would make your thumbnails bigger and make your huge header a lot smaller. Your work is more important than the header. Right now it competes for attention. If you must have music on your site give the option to turn it off, it makes it load slower which is very annoying. You give anything annoying to potential employers and they will not look at your work, no matter how good it is.

SAGE- I don't have music playing on my website nor on my MySpace. When you went to my site, did you see my demo vid? Or did you just hear the music start? Because when I had Firefox 2.0(before I downloaded FF 3.0) the WMV did not work properly. The music would play but that's it. If this is the case, try viewing it in IE. Or download the new FF to see if it works.

I am glad you mentioned something about the banner. I added that last night and was concerned it might be too big.

"The other reel runs terrible, it's all jumpy so I would get rid of it." Which one are you referring to so I can resolve this?

Thanks so much for your critque and your explanation on diffuse. It has been more than helpful. I'll keep at it!
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Your demo reel shouldn't auto play when someone visits your site. It's annoying. Let the person pick when and if they want to look at it. That will also solve the music problem.. It's not your choice of music but rather the fact that it automaticaly starts blasting once it's streamed that people will find iritating. I had no idea where the music was coming from at first as I was looking at one of the screen shots.

Also, get a resume up there.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Personally, I don't suggest you use any sort of music for your portfolio page. You're a visual artist, not a sound designer/musician. I've seen only a few sites that can pull off any sort of music, and most of the time it's more of an ambient music/dark music, not rock & roll/punk or whatever you have up there (honestly, I didn't pay much attention myself). As it turns out, I had my own music playing, so when I loaded your website, it just angered me that it was screwing up to what I was listening to :) Just my two cents, but I would really can the music on your site.

I just noticed that it actually seems to be your demo reel that's playing the music. That's fine, but I wouldn't make it auto play, let me choose when to play it. Also is annoying (at least for me) I had to right click the video to stop it, there was no GUI for it.

As for the art, I am not particularly blown away by any of the pieces up there. I know that sounds harsh, but how I see it. One thing I noticed is that you are quite ambitious by taking on full scenes. While this is cool, it's not always the best option, and can be very overwhelming to put the time and effort into each asset. I suggest trying to stay smaller and more controlled. Try just taking a while and focusing on a larger more complex prop. Something you can focus all the attention on. Do a high poly, low poly, etc. And just really tweak the crap out of it, until you are 100% satisfied. I myself really have a hard time doing entire scenes, because I get kind of burnt out on the scene, and want to just finish it. So then I find myself cutting corners, and half assing it to get it done. And that will just be a huge disservice to yourself and your portfolio.

Try and find something you are really excited about modeling/texturing, and take your time with it, and make it look great.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is a quick paint over of sorts. Just suggestions on how to deal with the header and navigation. I tried and kept what you had, I would not use a stroke on the text. I'm not sure how much CSS you know but it is easy to create this layout with very little work. I also messed with the contrast a bit since the thumbnails themselves seem dark. But do what you want. I ordered the thumbs in what I thought was the strongest work as well. But take that with a grain of salt. I would cut the control room, and city and tree. It might be a matter of relighting these but I would work to replace them with better work. I hope that gives you some ideas.

The others beat me to it, the reel should be a linked to and not try and play when the site loads.

The link of the reel that played jumpy is the one found here...

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=36574414[/ame]

Keep at it.

the paintover
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    SAGE-

You went above and beyond right there dude. Thank you so much for that paint over. It's inspired me enough to get off my ass and learn how to modify my site on my own. I've been depending on someone else to do it and well, call me lazy, I've been updating it with new stuff but never figured out how to change the layout of it.

Does anyone have any links to learn web design or does anyone have a source code I could use to get a decent layout going for my page? It obviously needs it. I have limited knowledge of html and I don't know about CSS. I am using GoDaddy.com.

Flewda-

Man you hit it right on the button. I am trying to do full scenes, I am trying to "tell a story." But you're right, I get burnt out. Quite possibly hurting my final product. I think I may even tend to rush a bit. I just get so excited, oh its almost done, its almost done.. then I find something else to do.. oh its almost done again.. so I finally have to draw a line and say, just stop already, move on. I'm trying to do something different but I agree, I need to stay a bit smaller and concentrate more on the texturing and final product. Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

I have no idea how to not make my demo automatically play when you load the page. I'll try to figure it out though.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost every single render of yours appears to have the texture blur filter left on in Maya.

You also need to learn the difference between a polygon and a triangle - and which one is a more important statistic.

Most of your images and textures look too low res, blurry, dark, and relatively uninteresting to compete with games that are out right now / coming out in 2-4 years.

If you are looking for a job as an environment / prop artist, you need to start much much smaller and get good / awesome results for something manageable. Not something "average" for a giant environment / scene.

2/8 (That being 25% of your portfolio) renders are so dark I don't even know what I am looking at. Assume that the person looking at your portfolio doesn't have an interest in looking at a reel, and wants to quickly look at your images. In the split second they have to look at your stuff, they want to see something inspiring, interesting, unique, original etc, and they want to look at it fast.

I would cease and desist trying to create an entire environment for now, and start with making 3-5 props that would fit IN an environment of your choice. Make those assets awesome, and then go from there.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    A note about the reel itself, it more important to have images that show your work than actual animation in your case. If you were going for animation job it would be a different story though. If you want to learn the basics of CCS quickly just go to lynda.com and pay 25 bucks. They have all the video tutorials you'll ever need there. I have to update my site with CSS...

try this site.

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

I would do a search for

css + hover +layers +

look for ul unordered lists.

here you go try these out too.

http://www.html.net/tutorials/css/
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm its a good start for environment but you need a little sharpening up.As for crits.

-One thing ive seen in your seen is objects that alor are too low rez,the wheels of the cannon and the frontier wheels in the plains scene stick out due to their low rez.Dont be afraid to use those polygons to give the proper shape. When its off it immidiatly detracts from the believeability.Not just the wheels also i see it often in alot of your scenes

-Alot of scene look flat and lack good unique details. Again it goes down to the resolution you make these objects,alot of the scene elements look like slightly modified standard primitives. Use those polys and use them well. The textures as well add to the look of the flatness. I see no sign of real life weathering or diversity in the texture.In this particular scene for example.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2005/2527113266_74426c7053_o.jpg

1.Floor texture next to same texture used on wall,looks bad. Looks too noisy and it gives no appearene of what material it is.

2. Wooden boards,same board tiled over 4 times,try making a few good and unique boards that differ in detail but fit together colorwise,reuse of texture is good but over and over close together you see it and it detracts from the look of the scene. Also split the boards up,one flat rectangle looks,..well flat.When you split em shift them up,rotate em a tad,make it look disorderly.

3.Yellow crane looks brand new,flat color and no sign that its a piece of equipment being used outside and in the elements,whats the scratches? Desaturated paint from exposer to the sun,dirt,rust? Etc

4.tiles of bricks in the background structures too large.

5.The concrete stumps with wire coming out all over. Try making variants,mess with their shape a little,make some more weatherd than the other,they all look like duplicates.

6.Item placement like tubes and such,be sparing with how many duplicates you make in a scene. Reuse is good but to a certain degree.

as for the rest of the porfolio.

The uv layout for the shipping crate could have been done way better. I see four long sides mapped of the crate and can only assume you gave equal layout to all sides. For something as heavy as a crate and large,unless theres is a reason to ,you shouldnt give that many space,if any to the botom. Players will likely never see it and it takes resolution away from the other sides. As for the other sides,unless you want to add unique and quite noticeable differing detail to one side as opposed to the other,you shouldnt map it unquie when you can use the one side twice by overlapping the uv's .That will also allow you to have even further more resolution to your texture.

Also no weathering and flar colors dont add to the items believeability.

Three things you need to imptove upon would have to be

-More use of resolution make it look less like standard primitives and to add unqiue and more peronalized elements to the scene to draw the persons eye.

- More weathering and variety in your textures.

-Better lit shots.

Keep at it,you have potential but need polish.

Cheers

Jav
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey GOBEE! I'd drop the three heads towards the end of the reel. They look out of place and really aren't up to the same standard as the rest of your work.

Keep going!
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Right on guys! Keep the crits coming. I am honestly taking all of your crits seriously and I plan on taking everything that is said in here, and using it to help improve my skills. As harsh as some of the crits are, it's what I need to hear. Thank you so much. I'm excited to start some new environments and replace what I have, I know I will get better.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    find a better host for your demo reel. i stopped watching because of how long it was taking to buffer. other then that just get more content. keep it up
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    nix the Reel, unless you have some really good animations in there it's just a really slow version of your portfolio.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    nix the Reel, unless you have some really good animations in there it's just a really slow version of your portfolio.

I couldnt agree more,if a job is what your shooting for,keep your portfolio veered in the position you want to get a job in. If animating is what you want to do,make that your focus.
    If its environments make it that. When having your work looked at by a person who might see dozens of reels a day any delay to get to your work could cause you.

That same reaction that Frozan got will be the same reaction an AD will get if it takes too long to see.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    GOBEE wrote: »
    Right on guys! Keep the crits coming. I am honestly taking all of your crits seriously and I plan on taking everything that is said in here, and using it to help improve my skills. As harsh as some of the crits are, it's what I need to hear. Thank you so much. I'm excited to start some new environments and replace what I have, I know I will get better.

That's the kind of attitude I like to see. And never lose it either. Even professionals at the top of their game need to remember that other people can always give good advice, and they can always improve. :)
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I am well aware of how long it takes to load so sorry about that. I updated a NEW demo reel last night with a better quality reel with the music cut out. I did not have time to compress it, so the file is HUGE. Don't have time to fix it now but maybe sometime next week.

Questions- Should I REALLY nix the demo reel? Are you guys saying my screenshots/renders would be good enough?

I always thought, and have been told I need to have a demo reel. I need to have my reel on my website and I need to have it also burned onto a DVD for when I send out applications to potential employers. So basically if I am burning a DVD to send out, do I just make it a slideshow with my renders? I have been working non-stop on getting animated renders completed so I have a full functional demo reel, but if I don't need to do hundreds and hundreds of these renders, that would really take some pressure off me. I'd much rather concentrate on one thing at a time and not have to go through animating cameras, etc.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Gobee it really depends what industry you want to work in. If it games and you do environments props or characters, screenshots are the way to go. Still images give all the information needed. You need to show your uv layout and wireframe render of your model. For a complete list of things needed read this.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=39516
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    screenshots are deffinatly better for environment work unless you have some crazy animated tecky scenery thing going on where you need to see it in motion, as of crazy machinary, or cool animated lighting. viewers can pick and choose what they llok at, and get a better idea of the details.

the first thing that i picked up on when viewing your site, was how bad the uv's were on the container. i could re-jig the texture space to make it in half the space but look exactly the same (minus a little variation from one opposing side to another, that you never see, and people will never pick up on) in about five minutes, just by having one side panel and one roof/bottom panel. and yes the spec doesnt add anything thats worth a 1024x1024.