Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Logo Pimp

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
I've begun work anew on my personal website. I spent about the last two months being unemployed. Although it did give me a nice chunk of time to work on my personal projects, on the whole it kind of sucked. But I'm working again, and I've definitely learned something from my experience. Working on your portfolio needs to be an all-the-time thing. It doesn't cut it to work on it when you need it. You need it to be there, ready and full of sweet content at a moment's notice.

And in the spirit of that, I'm redoing my portfolio site from the ground up. And I decided to start with a personal logo. Here's a link to the under-construction site, with an image of the log as the splash page...

http://www.willhawthorne.com

I thought it best to keep it simple. The general structure of the logo isn't really up for discussion. I like the design, and I'm sticking with it. However, how the design is tarted up is something I would like some guidance on. Right now I've got a pretty basic color scheme in primaries, simple gradients, and a reasonably conservative drop-shadow. Nothing too complex.

Do you think I should do anything to make the logo "pop" more on the splash page? I can always tone it back for the rest of the site. (when I construct it) Also, would a splash page really be best? After seeing other portfolios, I'm beginning to think that a flashy (and possibly actual Flash) intro isn't the best way to go. Should I just throw the user right into the thick of the content right off the bat?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i really don't like the colors, they all have a greyish touch and it's way too big... but this brings me to another question? why do you need a splashpage? everyone will just click it away, there's no content on it, no information, just wasted webspace a future contractor isn't interested in, honestly drop it and do what they want to see on your website, your portfolio.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Employers hate flash, unless your showing graphic design work avoid it like they plague. The simpler the better, just get them straight into your portfolio or showreel. Make it simple to navigate and easy to view. That doesnt mean you dont need to present your images well. But just dont overcomplicate things.

On a side note, i have to agree with Neox. The colours are really dull and are not helped by the gradient behind them. They look dull and unintersting. You dont need a logo, its not going to get you a job. Its fun to have one but a bad one just gets you off to a poor start.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't worry about making some flashy logo or catchy site. Most employers want a gallery and a resume. Window dressing on the side that does not get in the way is optional but not required. You should spend your time working on what will land you the job and not worry about the highly technical, time draining stuff. Make it easy to add updates, make it easy to navigate, and don't worry about fluff.

Rampant window dressing that is a distraction, is detrimental.

Splash pages are like that car salesmen that asks you what your looking for, and then shows you everything else on the lot except what you want to see. By the time its over you've punched him the nuts and drove off.

(I understand you're not looking for crits on the logo itself, but I've got to say this. You should skip this next part I get kind of ugly)
    Strongly dislike it. It reminds me of a bad company logo from an early 90's management seminar. Might as well change the gray background to brushed metal and put "unity, diversity, univerdiverty" under the logo. Maybe you're going to be cute and do some retro 90's thing Maybe you're going to hire Bob Saget to come along on interviews so people hit him in the nuts with whiffle ball bat, I'm not sure...

Definitely don't assault your viewing audience with it on a splash page. If you're really set on keeping it, make it much smaller, and move it off to the side.

If you're going for an artist position in this industry and you plan to keep the logo and make it a splash page... Make sure the art behind it is top notch. I think you're digging yourself a hole that doesn't impress. Who knows maybe you have something planned that really kicks ass?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    The first thing I thought when I saw it was 'windows 3.11' :D
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I'm sorry buddy but that splash page and logo have to go. They immediately scream bad things to potential employers.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    it took me about 5 minutes to realize it was supposed to be a W and an H in negative. :D LOL I thought it was just some squares and a triangle with two on top :D
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Same as dekard. I didn't get it at first, I just thought you really liked squares and triangles...
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your logo has too many elements and not enough focus. this logo would not work if it was displayed really small. i think logos should work in black and white before you apply color, yours would not work like this. generally i dislike the use of drop shadows on logos. I'm assuming that you are a modeler or texture artist and not UI or graphic design so i would suggest sticking to what you know for your portfolio.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, its a W and a H, I feel dense, wait no, its a bad logo that didn't communicate that well.

I'm still not behind it but if you're going to use the idea, replace the color with pics of your work, and have the shapes be buttons to the different galleries. That way if people don't get the logo, (looks like most aren't) then you didn't waste their time.
  • y00tz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't notice 'WH' until I saw the favicon. Maybe if it's smaller more people will catch it? I agree with the above comments about the colors. Also splash screens = 1 more annoyance before you get where you want to be.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who are feeling stupid about not 'getting' the logo: You might gotten it if things like the drop-shadow didn't aggresively fight any sense of negative space.
    And yeah, brushes metal, gradiants and such far dropshadows? It's all a bit much.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Thank you guys! Such a lot of feedback. I don't usually get this much feedback on my 3D models, I never expected so much on one simple logo.

Okay, for comments on the logo itself, I like being pretentiously clever. I'm actually quite pleased that several of you realized what it was I was going for with it. I personally find it to be a rather clever play on my initials. (W and H) To be honest, I'm not attempting to beat people over the head with it, or force them to recognize this. If they don't "get" it, that's fine, the logo is easy enough to recognize and remember without getting the slight sight gag.

Now onto the other comments. I'm definitely agreeing with everyone who says that a splash page is a no-no. The more I think about it, and the more I think of splash page examples I've seen in the past, the more I think it would be better to just launch into the portfolio proper. Of course, for the time being I'm still just going to have the "under construction" page. I'm building my site from the ground up, so I don't have the styles or design for the content areas ready yet.

I also agree with everyone who doesn't like the colors. It's not that I find them distasteful. I was actually surprised to hear that they looked like the Windows logo. That hadn't even occured to me. I did remember that it is currently using the same color scheme that the Google logo uses. Does any one have any suggestions on colors?

I'm also hearing you on the gradeints and dropshadow. I'm thinking perhaps an outlined version of the logo instead? Or maybe a more "sketched" version? I'll probably put together a sheet of "altered" logo variations over the weekend. Oh yes, and whatever design I settle on, it will be shrunk down considerably. I never intended for the final version to be that big.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I guess having a logo might be a cool thing ... but keep that for later I'd say. No matter how simple and sty;ised you want it to be, designing ones logo is quite tricky and time consuming so why not focus on putting cool art up instead...

I think there are a few guys with logos out there : Poop has two, Pascal Blanch
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Century Gothic Pior... Century Gothic :)

I say less talk more rawk at this moment Richard. I'm not going to remember you for your logo, but I WILL remember you for your work that you produce. As pior said, focus on the content (your art) and once you've made your portfolio fat and happy, then move onto the logo.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Change the logo to your signature, and embed it in all the art you make. Instead of cranking out more logo mock ups, I would suggest cranking out more art...
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Vig and JasonLavoie focus on your artwork. Although it is a bit alarming to hear you don't get this many comments and crits on your 3D work. Your logo screams terrible design to the point where I’m wondering if it’s on purpose and I think people are just trying to stop you from making a grave mistake. Even if you put awesome work behind it it's still like having a tiny piece of poo on your delicious cake.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Lose the splash. You only have about 2 or 3 clicks with someone looking at you stuff if you're lucky. Why waste one?