Home Technical Talk

modular question

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
Im pretty new to this style of creating buildings using the modular chunk method. I had some questions about it. This is the way im doing modulars.

courtsamgu3.jpg

Is it better to have modulars in smaller chunks ie windows, dividers, etc. Or in medium size chunks like a whole wall with windows already embedded in them? The reason i say that is the staircase is slanted downward with embedded windows on the side of the staircase wall. Should i just leave that particular modular medium sized like that or break it into smaller chunks to be used on other buildings? If smaller can i instance the windows on the side without welding them together? Or shelling them as boxes? I hope i made myself clear, if i didnt please let me know.

Also with bigger walls from a modular could i map them like 1024 x 512 to have more uv space?

Replies

• Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Well Modular usually just means peices that can be reused anywhere. Making unique Geo and then just splitting it up isn't very helpful.

For example. On the front facing wall you have 4 window thingys, one of those sections could be broken up and then you just tile it four times and that wall peice could be used elsewhere.

It just depends on where you are going to reuse the stuff, so you could just have the walls and the windows seperate or have one peice together then one peice without a window and a seperate window that sticks out(ex: GoW) etc....

Not really sure if there is a size requirement just whatever you need it for; sizes usually come into issue when looking at the collision its on and how the lighting will react.

ex: when in U3 I found the peices could be pretty damn big and still not effect performance that much... lighting was a little iffy.

the sucky engine I am using now basically dies if anything is more then 3x3m

so it all depends on 1. what you are using it for and 2. what the engine can handle
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends what you'll need the pieces to do.
    - If you're making just one building, sometimes smaller chunks are preferable. Like a few different windows, pipes, beams, trim, and wall pieces work best.
    - If you're making city blocks then maybe entire modular floors are whats needed.
    If the engine is old and the player isn't going to get close to the pieces then maybe your modules will be the entire building.

There isn't one set of pieces for all games and all engines. But the skill you should be looking for is balancing the needs of the art direction with the requirements of the engine. How much unique content can you build with the same recycled modules and not have it impact performance, in the time you're given?

If you don't have someone to set the parameters for you, set them yourself.

Build a sandbox to play in, instead of heading off to the beach.

Decide on a genre, theme and work out a budget, then set a deadline. This is an RTS city block with a max visible tri count of X and a max texture size of Y, units get A&B, terrain gets C&D, buildings and props get E&F. To get a sense of those budgets, check out contest requirements, games that let you have access to content ect...
    Since thats more or less what you'll be asked to do in the industry every day. Your goal isn't to just make something that looks good, but to practice ALL of the skills you'll need.

At each step check in here before moving on to the next. Blocking, Modeling, Unwrapping, Textures/Materials.

Before you start building modules, try blocking out your building or area using primitives (like you've done)
    Then work out what the tiles will be. you'll need and plan out your textures as well and it can be helpful to break up the large flat areas that will be covered in tiles where the texture seams will be, just to get a good visual representation. More then likely you'll remove them later.

Once you get a good flow established start figuring out what kind of modules you'll need. Keeping in mind textures, how the modules will be used. For example you might not want a drain pipe in with a wall tile if you might use the pipe in another area with a different wall.

Then start converting those primitives over to modeled and textured modules.

That seems to work best for me and the other people I know that do this for a living.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Great advice thanks guys