Home Technical Talk

fbx test models for importers

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
hiya, as both Keg and I (as well as others trying to get .fbx/collada import well) could profit from a few test models exported by different apps (maya,xsi,max), it would be very nice if some of you could export some "game like model".

especially asking for typical game features (textured, multiple uvs, vertex colors, rigged & skinned). If anyone could provide such models + textures + a reference screenshot from your dcc app how its supposed to look like it would rock.

mostly 1-2 models with a few of the featues mentioned from each dcc app would be sufficient I think. It can be as simple as a crate with pseudo lightmap and red, green, blue vertex corners. just so we got something to play with from each app.

just make sure you use latest fbx plugin for your app
http://www.autodesk.de/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=403786&id=6962322

thanks for your time!

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    You're wanting this for that game engine you've been designing, aren't you? I might be able to help you out. I've got quite a few older models that I skinned and rigged but never bothered to paint completely. In fact, I believe I remember an old Tonberry model that would proabably be perfect. (the character is copyrighted by SquareEnix anyways, so no real risk) I'm still using Blender, so hopefully you can use an example of their fbx exporter. Are you looking for Collada models as well? I can export those while I'm at it.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it's indeed for importing/conversions of assets into the engine. But as it's a common task, if the stuff was hosted so all can access it, it would be helpful to anyone doing model import from dcc apps he/she doesnt have access to.

both collada and fbx would be good indeed. preferebly non-3dsmax as I will make and share those myself.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if the collada.org sample library would help?
    http://collada.org/owl/

Did a quickie search to find FBX samples (I think the SDK has some in it?) and found this interesting thread, comparing Collada and FBX.
    http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=467753
    Of interest to me was the possibility of using .XSI as an exchange format.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried that model bank, registration doesnt work for me, and anonymous access also was kinda weird and often resulted into issues with that weird file browser they have, but thanks anyway will try to get access again, wasnt aware of the place. the anonymous access files however were too simple and not "typically game specific", but I dont know for sure just judged by filenames ;)

crosswalk seems to be what fbx is for maya and max, fbx actually handles collada im/export for those apps as well. And crosswalk seems to do the same for xsi + another custom format... I dont have xsi so I cant really judge, but with maya and max having more market share, and both being acquired by autodesk I would believe that fbx gets more attention... but I might be wrong ;) the dotXSI surely looks a bit more lean and mean than the bloated collada or the more closed fbx.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    are max biped rigs okay?